Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • Hodge360 wrote:
    Fairly sure they don't work on 3DS.

Nevermind then.  I haven't actually got one yet anyway, it was that or a Wii U, and I opted for the Wii U. 

Next week is indeed UN Squadron Elf, I've played it briefly in the past and thought it was great.  I hear the music is a bit of a highlight.
  • Out if interest why do people here not like dkc1?

I would like specifics.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I love it.  Never played it on SNES, but thoroughly enjoyed my playthrough on GBA a couple of years ago.  I convinced myself it was all style no substance when I had no access to it, but it's definitely in the upper tier of 16-bit platformers. 

Also, DKCR would probably just about get in my top ten games this gen.
  • Who here don't like DKC?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I never liked the look of it but never played it so won't pass judgement.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Hodge360 wrote:
    I never liked the look of it but never played it so won't pass judgement.

This. It just never appealed to me. Might be great, but I wouldn't know. I'll try and get it for my collection. All three will set back a bit, though.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • mk64 wrote:
    Out if interest why do people here not like dkc1? I would like specifics.
    I always thought it was overrated. The graphical style takes away precision from the platforming. It's mostly very simplistic level design with little imagination. Dull powerups, dull bosses, minecart sections... Even when it came out a lot of it felt old, gameplay wise.

Basically it can't stand next to Super Mario World or Yoshi's Island without looking like a poor copy. Not to say it's awful - it's solid enough platforming - just nothing remotely inspiring.
  • Omg.

I can't imagine what game you are playing. Did you play it on release?

Graphics and sound are a given as amazing for its time. That's the start point.

The it's touched of innovation and magic throughout.

+ opening seconds and either walking back into the cavern for a cut scene or hopping up for airborne action. First 3 seconds and you are hopping into barrels being fired around. BAM you are in.

+ first level Rambi. Genius. Short introduction to what's possible. Also unlocks and hidden passages from the off.
    It plays on the exploration of SMW to make the "hmm this bits a bit bland.. Something here?" Moment.

+ cool and different bosses.

+ the different feel with playing with donkey or diddy. Almost like sonic and tails. Not innovation but had a feel of lost levels about it.

+ inventive mini games for its time. Including bonus levels.

+ mine cart made me feel like Indy. Full of win and my fav parts of the game.

+ lights off mechanic was relatively innovative.

+ some of the subtle hidden rooms and stuff are really satisfying to discover.

+ no random difficulty spikes which plagued that era.

Can post more but I'm being anti social :)
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Is it on the list?
    Are PS1 games too recent for this?
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • I don't know but circuit breakers is different to te types of games played so far but is better than micro machines.
  • I used to roll my eyes at 2D minecart sections, now I crave them.  Not 2D, but the bestest minecart section evar is in Dark Savior on Saturn. 

PS1 games you say?  As long as it's not too in depth, or pricey on Ebay, I'm up for it.  Jumping Flash rather than Vagrant Story.
  • Ooh Micro Machines...
    Just wondering coz Starfighter 3000 and Hogs of War sprang to mind earlier. 
    Prob better off staying away from PS1 though unless there's a good emulator these days?
  • They all work in PS3's though.  I think. 

I reckon there'll be some decent emulators around anyway, I'll do a bit of research.  Overboard! or Motorhead (available on PSN anyway) were favourites of mine, or maybe Pandemonium or Hearts of Darkness, always wanted to play those.

Edit: Or Wild 9.
  • True but I don't think everyone is playing the original games on original console. 
    I picked up Starfighter a while back for PS3 coz I loved it so much on Saturn. 
    The irony being it was given away free with some crappy isometric driving shooter we bought.
  • Jumping Flash and Pandemonium have special places in my heart as they were among my early PS1 games.especially the former.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I thoroughly enjoyed DKC1 back in the day - though I never followed up on the series until DKC returns on wii (which is swish by the way).

re PS1 Kurushi was/is a favourite of mine on PS1. Cues up gems like RType Delta 

allowing PS1 games allows the mighty Saturn in as well....Layer Section, Sega Rally, Radiant Silvergun et al. Not sure if that is in the spirit of the thread???
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Dkc2 is better than 1 and 3 but 1 was outstanding imo. 3 is the worst but really still a reasonable platform game in its own right.
  • davyK wrote:
    allowing PS1 games allows the mighty Saturn in as well....Layer Section, Sega Rally, Radiant Silvergun et al. Not sure if that is in the spirit of the thread???

I'd dearly love to play some of my almost forgotten Saturn favourites again (Amok, Dark Savior, Story of Thor 2, Keio Flying Squardon 2...I had a strong urge to play Diehard arcade again the other day too), but I don't think the emulation is up to scratch, and we're talking serious money for some titles on Ebay.  Even Kurushi/R-Type on PS1 fetch a pretty penny I believe, although maybe they could be emulated.  I had Kurushi Final, great game.
  • Week seventeen: UN Squadron (SNES)

AKA Area 88 in Japan, based on the Manga series of the same name. Play Capcom's excellent SNES conversion of its CPS arcade original, blasting your way through ten stages of shmup joy. The SNES version added extra aircraft, sub-levels, lives and character abilities, amongst other tweaks, and is generally considered one of the best side scrolling shooters available for 16-bit consoles. Good luck...and don't forget to turn the sound up.

MTg3WDI2OQ=$(KGrHqJ,!i!FBcvyTCWNBQ,TpO,q,w~~60_35.JPG

I got sidetracked with the new year celebrations, so rather than rush to finish this by the 6th, I've extended the week to the 13th.

Play and discuss, or just simply reminisce.

Schedule:

Week eighteen (14/01): Zero Tolerance (Megadrive)
    Week nineteen (21/01): Out To Lunch (SNES, Amiga)
    Week twenty (28/01): Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (PC Engine, Virtual Console)
    Week twenty one (04/02): Rocket Knight Adventures (Megadrive)
    Week twenty two (11/02): Star Parodier (PC Engine/Virtual Console)
    Week twenty three (18/02): Legendary Axe (PC Engine/Virtual Console)
    Week twenty four (25/02): Atari 2600 week
    Week tenty five (04/03): Cybernator (SNES)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Played this loads in the day but never finished it - was a pretty tough little git and I tend to abstain from continuing too often. I can remember reading a detailed playthrough in a games magazine that was pretty extensive. I still have the cart I got back then - it's CIB but the box has seen better days though it is still intact.

There is a bit where the boss is some sort of huge fort - either got stuck there or on some cave based level - can't remember. I liked the fact that you usually had a choice as to which level you tackled next.

I tend to pick the beardy guy as he can take a few more hits than the other pilots (I think so at any rate) but also because his beardy gob appearing in the status/score area looks cool.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    davyK wrote:

I'd dearly love to play some of my almost forgotten Saturn favourites again (Amok, Dark Savior, Story of Thor 2, Keio Flying Squardon 2...I had a strong urge to play Diehard arcade again the other day too), but I don't think the emulation is up to scratch, and we're talking serious money for some titles on Ebay.  Even Kurushi/R-Type on PS1 fetch a pretty penny I believe, although maybe they could be emulated.  I had Kurushi Final, great game.

By all accounts, SSF is getting real close re Saturn emulation though I haven't tried it in a while....and I think Saturn game image wrangling is fiddly though I may be wrong on that one. I've only ever tried SSF using original discs.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    Dkc2 is better than 1 and 3 but 1 was outstanding imo. 3 is the worst but really still a reasonable platform game in its own right.

RARE tended to over-egg the collecting thing in their sequels which is why I usually avoided them - unfortunately all 3 DKCs have been removed from the Wii's VC shop.

• I'll be on this, hopefully. Schedule looks good; might get Out to Lunch (always wanted it) and also play Rondo of Blood (it was my suggestion after all!), and Rocket Knight Adventures.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    might get Out to Lunch (always wanted it).

It's cute as a button and there are loads of nice effects and some clever secrets - but it's really long and gets pretty tough. It's a game that really would have benefitted from passwords - even at a world level would have helped big time. There's the option to start on World 3 (West Indies) but it wasn't really enough back then - think there are 6 worlds each with 8 levels if I remember right - quite a bit to do in one sitting even starting at world 3.

Not such an issue in these save state times of course.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Re Saturn emulation for future reference:

• Looks good to me.
  • I'm quite upset that won't play at work. I want to hear the lyrics.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

The lyrics are there in all their glory.....

SSF still isn't perfect of course but it's come a long way.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    if we go ps1 silent bomber and bushido blade are musts.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Week seventeen: UN Squadron (SNES) - Schedule: Week eighteen (14/01): Zero Tolerance (Megadrive) Week nineteen (21/01): Out To Lunch (SNES, Amiga) Week twenty (28/01): Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (PC Engine, Virtual Console) Week twenty one (04/02): Rocket Knight Adventures (Megadrive) Week twenty two (11/02): Star Parodier (PC Engine/Virtual Console) Week twenty three (18/02): Legendary Axe (PC Engine/Virtual Console) Week twenty four (25/02): Atari 2600 week Week tenty five (04/03): Cybernator (SNES)

That's a very nice array of games. I'm on for all of those. : )
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!