Good gaming podcasts
‹ Previous12
  • Good evening!

Can anyone recommend any good gaming podcasts? I own and actively play all the current gen consoles (apart from a Vita) so one that focuses on all formats would be best.

The only one I’ve ever listened to is the n4g podcast and their constant Nintendo bashing has put me off.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I do Giantbombcast (nuts, often rambling but I like the guys), Destructoid (more often about inserting things into William Dafoe's ass than any actual games), Official Playstation Mag (tight, interesting and game focused), OXM (I think better since Dave Rudden took over), Eurogamer (silly, short, fun, they often do themed episodes - the last one was Planescape Torment), ONM (far better than the magazine) and IGN (not so hot)
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    The Invisible walls one is good, but it's video as well. That might be a bonus or a negative. Dunno. It's perfectly possible to listen to it without the video as they record the audio then put trailers/gameplay of whatever they're currently talking about on after.

http://www.gametrailers.com/shows/invisible-walls

Major Nelson is OK if a little folksy. He does get interviews with the big names.
  • Idle Thumbs is the only one I listen to a). regularly and b). am comfortable recommending to others.
  • Another shout for:
    Giantbomb - massively irreverent for the most part but often laugh out loud funny. Listening to the Vinny try and vocalise how his newborn son sounds when taking a shit made feel silly about myself on the train. Also, Ryan and Jeff are without a doubt two of the most experienced and knowledgeable people within the videogame media. Both have been in the press for close to twenty years.
    Idle Thumbs - Often incredibly intelligent and witty banter between massively geeky but down to earth videogame designers who work at Telltale, Double Fine and Irrational. Dont go in expecting up to date news or insight into the newest games. Expect tangents on board games, Far Cry 2 and 15 year old Western RPGs. 

In addition to these two I can recommend Weekend Confirmed from Shacknews. The only reason being Garnett Lee who has become a very safe bet when looking for a videogame audio podcast for a train journey. Typical podcast style with news/information about new/previewed videogames along with a number of different guests each week. Definitely not as funny or insightful as the other two but probably the best mix of humour, news, insight and exclusives you'll find on the internet right now.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I've never heard Idle Thumbs. Will give it a go. Googs, I particularly enjoyed the Nintendo downloads era of the Bombcast. They're utterly insane enough to set up a second podcast.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I've never heard Idle Thumbs. Will give it a go. Googs, I particularly enjoyed the Nintendo downloads era of the Bombcast. They're utterly insane enough to set up a second podcast.

Idle Thumbs is a very specific type of podcast. Its akin to listening to an Ivy League gaming radio show - it's definitely not the bombastic and often spastic shouting Giantbomb, Destructoid, et all.

However, there is a very, very funny sense of humour running through and it features your best friend Jake Rodkin.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm in.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Although Silky the Fairy and Saucepan Man are also my personal favourites ever.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I've just been reading this thread and realised that I've never once ever listened to a podcast. Then about five minutes later it dawned on me that I now have an iPhone so I can easily listen to one. It's been a long day...

Currently downloading Idle Thumbs and Giantbomb. It's all very exciting.
  • Giantbombcast is amazing. Even the back catalogue is awesome. 

I'd say 8-4play is worth a listen. They're a company who localise games in Japan, and the host used to be with 1up during 1up yours days. The best only flagship podcast about Japan, games and japanese games. And lots of dragon quest. Theyre on the giantbomb website bizarrely now as well.
  • Anyone heard any good retro ones?
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Definitely going to check out Idle Thumbs, Giant Bombcast and 8-4 Play.  If RPGs are your thang RPGcast and Random Encounter are a good listen.
    Get schwifty.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    The GB episode when Ryan was pitching the idea for a Social Network style movie but based on Amazon instead of Facebook had me very close to tears I was laughing that hard.

"we should stick to books"

"I WANT TO SELL EVERYTHING!"

...actually, that's pretty much the entirety of the bit but hey.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I forgot about 8-4 - it's very cute and I like it lots.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    The Giant Bomb ones are over 3 hours long. Is that right?
  • The new one is under that. Tried it yesterday just in case it'd got better since the last time I tried it, but it's still a bit too Kotakoidycheevotard for my blood. The digressions bother my a whole lot less than that.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I have no clue what that term means nor do I find it accurate.

Frantic - yep. They're long.
  • Another vote for the Giant Bombcast. Very good.

1Up is godawful. I think I saw someone recommend it a while back but no way.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Never heard it. After the big 1up shuffle which saw the main dudes go off to do area5, I gave up on 1up.
  • Another vote for Giant Bomb here.  I'll also throw Midlife Gamer in to the mix.
    3DS: 2105-8748-8084 Switch: SW-3316-5834-8308 PSN: aynsleyw
  • Weekend Confirmed is my weekly fix. Like Google said Garnett Lee is always good for a solid podcast. Quite fond of Jeff on that show too, my only complaint would be that one or two of their regulars are on the crap side
    PSN: Shinji-_-Ikari
    Twitter: @YouDidItAll4Me
  • For Monster Hunters

It's actually a video (PSP format) and the audio track.  Wouldn't recommend the audio only option.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Been listening to the Bombcast while at work. I feel I've been missing out, it's very entertaining. Gonna download a few for while I'm driving about next week, it's perfect for my workday. Good stuff.

Also, they like Sleepy Dogs so they get bonus points.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    They also call it Sleepy Dawgz.

• Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Anyone heard any good retro ones?
  • Another vote for the Giant Bombcast. Very good. 1Up is godawful. I think I saw someone recommend it a while back but no way.

1Up Yours was good, after everything kicked off there, whatever replaced i wasn't.

I think they have a retro one though Elm and Moot, no idea if it's any good.
  • Thanks for all the recommendations, I'm gonna give Giant Bombcast, Idle Thumbs, 8-4 Play and Midlife Gamer a go.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Another vote for the Giant Bombcast. Very good. 1Up is godawful. I think I saw someone recommend it a while back but no way.
    1Up Yours was good, after everything kicked off there, whatever replaced i wasn't. I think they have a retro one though Elm and Moot, no idea if it's any good.

Early retronauts was great, and they still hold up as theyre based on a particular series/ subject.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Listened to Idle Thumbs for the first time, the guys seem alright, and Sean Vanaman may be the best guy of 2012 for the shit he is making me do in The Walking Dead, but it certainly didn't grab me as any more structured or intelligent than the Bombcast.

They did state that it was a bit of an anomalous week due to PaX so may be different, and as I said, I enjoyed it, but it's certainly no "thinking man's podcast" based on that evidence.

Claw anecdotes were a hoot though.
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!