NBA 2k11
  • Anyone here play this game/series?

love it but I cant beat the computer. No matter what difficulty I am utter shit at it. I play my brother a lot and we're both as good  shit as each other and play a decent game between the two of us.

Any tips?
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Kill yourself.
  • Oh dear.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • J1m1
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Beelzespud
    Xbox
    Beelzespud
    Steam
    Beelzespud

Send message
    three1ne wrote:
    Anyone here play this game/series? love it but I cant beat the computer. No matter what difficulty I am utter shit at it. I play my brother a lot and we're both as good  shit as each other and play a decent game between the two of us. Any tips?

I've had the exact same problem with this game.  I tend to stick exclusively to the My Player mode, although you start with such poor stats that it gets frustrating missing shots from 3 feet constantly.
    Live/Steam - Beelzespud
  • Do you have much experience with basketball in general 31ne?

It's got the best My Player mode in any sports game, IMO.

Part of what makes it hard is that there's a lot of RPG style number crunching going on under the bonnet, so you need to know who you're shooting with and also run plays, take open shots etc etc.

With My Player, the key is to think about it differently to a regular season mode. You're just not going to win every game, you're not even going to see that many minutes. You really just need to play your role, and keep your meter going in the right direction.

It's harder, IMO, to do My Player as a Point Guard. Nearly as tricky to play as a SG and SF. First time around, it's nearly easiest to go as a Centre or Power Forward. The plays get called, the icons are on court telling you where to go, and you get shit loads of xp for screens and rebounds.

If you just want to run and gun and have a bit more flare, the Jordan mode is cracking fun, and obviously you can feed MJ a fair bit and just go nuts.

Basically, My Player mode is really quite realisitic. In a rookie year, you're not gonna be good enough to win a championship (unless you're picked up by the Heat or LA and you're riding the bench for most of it). I started in ATL coming off the bench. It took until 40 games into the regular season for me to get a starting spot, and I was only just above average by the time I hit play offs. lost in the first round.

It was only at the end of the second season that I was at that near perfect stage and absolutely dominating.

Great great game, but needs time. Don't expect to be winning by 20 every game within half a season.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Cheers Face. Ill give that mode a look although tbh all I really want to be able to do is to play a quick exhibition match with the computer and not be bent over. Basically Fifa stylie.
  • I can't remember the settings you want, but basically, you want auto play calls on, and the plays to appear on the floor telling you what to do. Doing the plays as designed ups shooting %.

If you want fifa styles, I'd just try Jordan mode.

But the game is at it's best when you are playing as one player.
  • J1m1
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Beelzespud
    Xbox
    Beelzespud
    Steam
    Beelzespud

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    . But the game is at it's best when you are playing as one player.

Very much agree with this.  If you're not down with the nuances of basketball then I'd recommend playing as the Center.  You can't really be out of position as long as you follow the play up and down the court. Pressing "B" to block players to open up plays is a big xp winner.
    Live/Steam - Beelzespud
  • Yep, just like the real NBA, it's all about the pick and roll/pop etc.

Simplest idea for two players and works perfectly in 2k11.
  • I traded this a while back. I may have to pick it up cheap and get back into it.

• 2k13 out on 5th of Oct.

Executive Producer: Jay Z.

Ok then.
  • You don't understand the intelligence that Jay-Z has.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Oh I do.

In all honesty, he's no dummy when it comes to basketball, and he's no dummy when it comes to making money. I have no idea what he'll bring to a videogame though.

Apart from a good soundtrack, maybe.
  • An arcade mode. For dickheads like me hopefully.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Oh I do. In all honesty, he's no dummy when it comes to basketball, and he's no dummy when it comes to making money. I have no idea what he'll bring to a videogame though. Apart from a good soundtrack, maybe.

I hope that post didn't sound rude mate, was just quoting a jay z lyric that kinda but not really fit.  Was about as close to a joke as I'm capable of deploying.

I agree, it appears to make no sense - but I see Snoop Dogg has something going with the new tekken game as well.  Might be the new thing to do?  If Kanye opts in, all bets are off.  That 360 bloke should try to tee someone up with Microsoft surely.
  • I got 99 problems, but knowing Jay z lyrics ain't one.

Also, dude owns the nets and was all in LBJ's ear about moving when he left cleveland, he does actually know some basketball.
  • Xzibit is also getting into the games biz. Got some headphones coming out for gaming I believe. He does actually play Xbox though and has been to game shows etc.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • This came out yesterday; have had a fair crack at it this afternoon.  Thoughts.

To a person like me who hasn't followed nba in years but likes the odd sports video game it seems pretty similar to the last iteration I played (2011), which is probably as expected.  It's good.  Playing My Player mode exclusively so far.

The actually basketball bits are great, menus are worse than I rembered, and I remember them being pretty shit last time.  Without exaggeration I've spent as much time saving/loading/uploading as playing.  I think this is what killed me before.  Generally get sick of it after half a season, but as of now it's addictive and will overlook it for the time being.

Jay-z's contribution seems to have been putting together a very nice soundtrack consisting mostly of Rihanna, Kanye West and Jay-Z himself.  Fair enough.

Not really keen on how your player is upgraded, there's a single in game currency that you use to upgrade specific parts of your game, as well as buy new clothes, like Adidas endorsed elbow pads.  Wish cosmetic stuff was kept separate to actual upgrade stuff, who is going to be buying new suits (that you see your player wearing for literally 2 seconds in the pre game stuffwhen you could be spending those points on making him less shit.  I want to buy headbands but bugger that.

Anyone else playing?
  • Ahh, I want to buy this. Still play 2k11 everytime my brother is back home for 1 on 1 but I can not get to grips with single player. Had another go yesterday and was 30 - 10 down at the end of the 2nd quarter.
  • Damn. I have another mate who's picked it up too. I so can't afford it right now.
  • three1ne wrote:
    Ahh, I want to buy this. Still play 2k11 everytime my brother is back home for 1 on 1 but I can not get to grips with single player. Had another go yesterday and was 30 - 10 down at the end of the 2nd quarter.

I feel your pain mate.  Soon as I get down by a couple of points, my strategy seems to be putting up 3 pointers from anywhere.  It rarely works.  The more I miss the more determined I am to sink one.

My tem's gotten progressively worse as my player has played more minutes.  My direct opponent ends up best on court with alarming regularity as I have no defensive game.

Can't wait til my five foot 10 145 pound midget gets some decent stats, press conferences are getting a little embarrassing.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Damn. I have another mate who's picked it up too. I so can't afford it right now.

I'm in the same boat, but have no willpower.  Campbell's chunky soup until Thursday for me.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!