Dear Esther
  • Really nice game. Played about an hour so far.
    Spoiler:
    Dont tell me whether I did or not please. Graphics, atmopshere and music are superb.

Slightly less than superb is that it hasnt appeared to have saved my game. Google tells me im not alone, anyone had this issue? Can you actually save?

Hmm, some people are saying it can be completed within an hour.  Amazing if I turned it off 5 minutes before the end..
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I don't think you can save. At least I don't remember there ever being a continue option.

Since the "game" is short and many elements of the game are randomized on each playthrough so you'l get different narration, the "men" will appear in different locations with different meanings behind them, you'l get different graffiti, different detailing and so on, I guess they thought it wasen't really the same experience if you picked it up later rather than did it in one go.
  • Got this in the Steam sale and I'm pretty interested to try it today.
    Twitter: Andy_Wharton | PSN: thehumantarget86 | Xbox Live: humantarget86 | Steam: thehumantarget
  • three1ne wrote:
    Can you actually save? Hmm, some people are saying it can be completed within an hour.  Amazing if I turned it off 5 minutes before the end..

I think its chapter based, so no saves but you can start from the beginning of any chapter already completed.
    Gamertag: Mal0wner
    3DS Friend Code: MalO 0645-5742-2145
    Wii U: MalOwner
  • You spelt Esther wrong in thread title. 

I've only ever 'played' an hour or so before it crashed on me. Haven't been back since, but I should.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    We all need to stop using quotation marks as bunny ears when talking about this "game".
  • But it's not a "game", it's a piece of ART.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • how long did i take you lot to complete it? There is a youtube playthrough vid which is an hour long. I had heard it was around 4 hours. Is there reply value in it?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Like I said above, tons of the narrative and symbolism is randomized. You should be able to play it through at least thrice without it feeling too stale.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Might give it another go now actually.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    I "played" through this for the first time the other day, conveniently as it was getting dark outside which added that little bit to the atmosphere. It was an intriguing experience in any case and an impressively good looking one a lot of the time, given that it is relatively old. I'm glad that I have dredged up this thread and found out about the randomisation otherwise I might not necessarily have been planned to go back to it anytime soon.
  • My first big VR 'experience', sod the story, just admire the beauty
  • I still have no idea what happened in the story.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Looking at my posts from exactly 4 years ago makes me cringe. Similar stuff has been done since that cacks on DE. It's no Beginner's Guide.
  • Spoiler:
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Plus I was full of promise for them in the future then and now Rapture has come out they deserve all the backpayed slaps.
  • Feel bad for Jessica Curry though, especially after that piece she wrote about being treated as apart from the creative process when compared to her partner as the were pitching and promoting their games.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I see them as a collective entity. At least for ideas and shit. Need a giant tango hand.

I think something similar happened with that Sunset. Sad tale that one.
  • Surprised she is still with her husband after he made that comment.

- I'm saying that purely on the limited info from what I just read
  • Tempy wrote:

Pretty cool she's doing stuff with the Poet Laureate though.

Just for the record, i thought A Beginner's Guide was pretty shit, although the fact it's a game about
    Spoiler:

is something that most 'creatives' can relate to a bit

In terms of pure visual artistry there honestly hasn't been that much that is as good as DE as far as i know, particularly in VR, and I say that as something of a Walking Simulator fan
  • That's definitely one of the things The Beginner's Guide is about, but the other things that it is about interest me a lot more, cf the stuff wot I wrote about Pale Fire in the book thread.
  • I do find what you wrote interesting so i'd like to read what you have to say about A Beginner's Guide. The whole Walk 'Em Up genre has a lot of potential for storytelling while still moving with the times (in fact i love that it lets you savour what it delivers to you without shepherding you to the next explosion). It is a pity I found the story of Dear Esther completely ignorable but it's also a pity that I can't think of many games that maintain a visual and narrative synergy in the genre in terms of sheer quality.

I would love to approach making this kind of game but feel i'm not up to my own standards, instead i feel a bit like the final imagery of A Beginner's Guide. In fact I feel that quite a lot.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!