22 Cans - Peter Molyneux - Godus
‹ Previous123456789
  • Curiosity

A multiformat massively multiplayer game is the first of a series of experimental games that will lead up to a final full game release from the new Guildford-based studio in around three years' time.

The article on the Edge Website
    22 Cans website (not much there yet)

So the jist is that 22Cans are releasing a series of games which will be experiments. The outcomes of the gamer behaviour from each of the 22 games will be somehow incorporated into the final game. The first game is a game about a cube. The cube has layers and players will click or mine the cube to try to get to the bottom layer of the cube. Everyone plays the same game so everyone is contributing to the same outcome which is what the "suprise" is at the bottom layer. Apparently only one player will get to see this information. Expect all sorts of memes and conspiracy theories about what is on the bottom as soon as the mining begins.

People dont know how many clicks it will take to get to the bottom or per layer. And this can change. They can adjust the clicks per square at will. Again I presume they have a time line they want this to run for so if its going to fast they'll increase the clicks and if its too slow and no one is playing it then they will reduce them. Layers will be made up of pictures from peoples fb profiles etc. He also talked about potentially changing how many clicks per person per country, i.e. if you're in japan you need to click 7 times to do what someone in Brazil might take 1 click.

It will potentially be one of the first true multiformat games. From what I read they will be trying to launch this on as many systems/devices etc as possible. I'm not sure if we'll see it on psn or xbl.

In the article iirc he talks about some of the things he invisages from the gamer behaviour. Such as players sculpting the cube when mining and people putting an artistic effect into the cube. 

There isn't much more to go on as their website isn't functional properly yet and i can't find a start date other than "soon". The edge article isn't very thorough compared to the 3-4 pager in the issue.

What do you think this? I'm not sure.. He's trying to tap into the potential of what gamers could do on mass working together and the outcome. Trying to ascertain the balance between working/investment into a game and the reward and reward structure.

Will any of you click/mine the cube? I expect i'll do it out of curiosity but it'll probably be a few clicks then i'll wait for 4chan to hack it or mine the whole thing overnight.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Sounds shit, tbh, as with most things that moron gets involved in.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Pfft.

(at adkm, not Petey-baby.)
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It's an interesting idea and since he's reined it down to one concept it seems like he's got a handle on it.

I will likely play it but fuck trying to get the prize
  • Personal Molyneux-hatred aside, I think the general idea of many players working away at a single goal that only one player will actually experience is an interesting idea. The game itself sounds dull as ditch water though. Perhaps it will make more sense when actually played?
    You really are fond of chatting with me, aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for me!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I think it's click the cow x1000000000
  • That's kind of what I thought
    You really are fond of chatting with me, aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for me!
  • Ah its not too bad if you buy the 50 000 pound dlc
  • A game where you work together for one person to experience something. Nice in theory. Full shit in real life. People cant even play as a team on COD.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • The real point is to see how the secret spreads
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    So everyone clicks a mouse a random number of times and one person gets to see what happens? I don't understand the appeal of that.
  • Curiosity
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I like this idea. It's good to see something truly experimental in the gaming world. You know, experimental that's not an arbitrary gaming mechanic they can slap on the back of the box. Something that really pushes back the idea of what makes a game a game, and moreover how we play them.

Good luck to him, I say.
  • It's not that experimental, just sounds like Noby Noby Boy to me.
  • But less fun. And that wasn't much fun.
  • Sounds like virtual pass the parcel with Molyneux manning the turntable.

Pass.
  • I will buy it on the Ouya.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    A great team with a great idea with a Molyneux at the helm leads to wild, undelivered promises and disenchantment.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • I don't think even molyneux could screw this up. Seems fairly straightforward.
  • Skerret wrote:
    A great team with a great idea with a Molyneux at the helm leads to wild, undelivered promises and disenchantment.

News at 11.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    yer but it was a rewrite of wot was on their website well i tried :(
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Fentonizer wrote:
    I like this idea. It's good to see something truly experimental in the gaming world.

This is fair enough, but reading the rhetorical nonsense Molyneux was spouting in the Edge article it seems he's already decided exactly how he wants people to experience the "game". That to me isn't experimental because there's no experiment, just self-indulgence.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    Curiosity
    So if curiosity is the motivation for clicking on this cube, why isn't it rewarded? If only one player actually gets to see the outcome of all this highly exciting clicking, a lot of curious buggers are going to be left wanting.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Curtains. Click on curtains until Molly appears. Only one human will ever see him.
  • mk64 wrote:
    Curiosity
    So if curiosity is the motivation for clicking on this cube, why isn't it rewarded? If only one player actually gets to see the outcome of all this highly exciting clicking, a lot of curious buggers are going to be left wanting.

I assume it will be shared. I hope the answer or suprise or whatever it is would be shared.

Also, what if that one person was you?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It won't be. If it's going to be shared, then there isn't much of a reason for 'playing' the 'game' is there? I seem to have completely missed the point of this thing.
  • Well.. Yes and no.. As I said in the op I'm not hyped about this but I can see people or teams/clans getting into it. Maybe even advertisers. It's like a block, artists and creatives will be able to showcase while others play. Different strategies will be formed. People will be able to fuck peoples shit up. It will be intereting to see if people work together or not. I doubt that the reveal will be worth it but that's where curiosity kicks in for alot of people. Will the reveal go to someone who clicked once or someone who clicked a million times?

Call me an optimist but I imagine that whoever clicks the final click will tell the world somehow.

If you just want to wait for that then I suppose you can. Alternatively you coul speed it up for people including yourself by contibuting some clicks.

I think the reveal will be a cash prize so it can't be shared properly.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    A reveal of nowt in examination of Why We Play.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Or Kevin Spacey behind a hedge.
  • Probably :/
  • I've seen what's at the bottom. It's not that exciting.
‹ Previous123456789

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!