Digital Detox/Dumbdown
‹ Previous1234
  • I recently made the decision to reduce my reliance on smart devices, i.e. I'm ditching my smartphone. I've had a smartphone for many years, like most other adults and I feel like a change. I was partly spurred on by the recent "smartphonefreechildhood" campaign that gained traction on social media (ironically) and in the news. I want to claim back time wasted scrolling on my smartphone and reset my relationship with tech as a bit of an example for my kids...wish me luck!

My first step is ditching my smartwatch. Meh. That's easy. I've replaced it with a £20 Casio today.

The iPhone is next. I really want to dumb this down as much as possible and go with a phone that has SMS, phone and maybe email.

Has anyone else made this step or is anyone thinking about it? There isn't a clear cut choice in terms of dumb phone choice as people have slightly different needs. Some want to keep WhatsApp for example. I'm happy to give it a go without Maps, Notes, Calendar, WhatsApp etc, then maybe tweak from there.
  • Do you have to change your phone, or could you just remove all the other apps from it?

Like, can you dumb down the phone you have rather than having to buy another one?
  • I used to do it. Didn't have a smart phone until 2018ish, then when I got one I restricted my data package to 512MB per month for years but that kind of willpower's fallen by the wayside now - my newish phone/contract has a 125GB monthly limit. I think the most I've ever used is 3GB. I knew if I got one I'd read less on my commute and constantly refresh the badger instead, and that's pretty much what's happened. For all my moaning I wouldn't go back to buttons now though, tbf.

Good luck.
  • I have a refurbed last gen iPod now for all my dedicated musiclisten on the go. Unfortunately I am too addicted to podcasts and pulpy audiobooks at present to actually use it.

Soc media never been an issue. Navigating forums on a phonescreen sucks so much fuck I basically just wait 'til I'm at a proper computer again.
  • [justify]I turned all notifications off apart from voice calls. I still use it as a smartphone but it's me proactively doing stuff rather than acting on a notification. That includes texts - I only voice call these days. I still use it as a smart phone but it's always to either go on here or look something up like the weather, never as a result of being prompted to use my phone because of a message. [/justify]

[justify]I'm not on social media anyway apart from in here.[/justify]
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I don't know what a justify is.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Davy added a new AI system that alerts you when you need to justify your arguments.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Hey imagine if that was a thing on Twitter.
  • Anyway, I really recommend the no texting thing. Annoyingly, it has led to a busier social life but in a sweet way I guess. People phone when it's important or they're missing you so you end up having longer but more meaningful conversations which often end up with an invite to somewhere. 

I've noticed people are on time more when you do meet up at a pub because they can't text to say they're running late. I'm more on time too.
  • poprock wrote:
    Do you have to change your phone, or could you just remove all the other apps from it? Like, can you dumb down the phone you have rather than having to buy another one?

I think this is a viable approach yes. I am already very light on apps. No social media, no YT, and I've dropped out of some of the busier WhatsApp groups I was in, but I feel like a complete break from a modern smartphone will work better for me. I've seen some advice based specifically around the iPhone that puts it into a certain accessibility mode that dispenses with the standard app/tile based approach and instead presents a really simplified UI that's just a list of apps (possibly with no notifications). Will explore this.

I'll add that the cost of entry for a basic Nokia or similar is low. You can get a crappy 2G handset for £20 new. Worth it for the experiment almost.

Anyway, I really recommend the no texting thing.

Yeah. I think dropping WhatsApp would be a major win for me. SMS only, which I don't mind because hardly anyone I know uses it these days. That would mean people would only get in touch if they had a need. So, that's my next step then...binning off WhatsApp.
  • Come with g if you want to live...
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I was a gnat's chuff from going feature phone a while back, but I've basically just uninstalled all social media apps from my smartphone. I just log in via browser when I get home. TwitXter has 2FA on it, and usually I can't be bothered going through that to post whatever random thought crossed my mind. It's done wonders.

I've never had a smart watch. Thought about it; it'd be nice to use one to navigate when I'm on my bike. But that's a bit niche. My Casio does fine. Got a calculator on it and everything. #tehfutur
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • g.man wrote:

That's the one I was thinking of, nice one. I've just enabled this mode and also put the phone into black and white mode. Looks drab as anything and really restricted. I think this might be a winner. I will report back after a week.

Blue Swirl wrote:
    I was a gnat's chuff from going feature phone a while back, but I've basically just uninstalled all social media apps from my smartphone. I just log in via browser when I get home. TwitXter has 2FA on it, and usually I can't be bothered going through that to post whatever random thought crossed my mind. It's done wonders. I've never had a smart watch. Thought about it; it'd be nice to use one to navigate when I'm on my bike. But that's a bit niche. My Casio does fine. Got a calculator on it and everything. #tehfutur

I found the smartwatch useful for tracking bike rides and runs and that's about it. Having to charge it every night is just another thing to do. Casio, here we come! I would say that for some people, having a smartwatch makes them less tied to their phones. You made a good point about 2FA being a barrier to accessing certain things in a positive way. A while back Facebook wanted me to log in via 2FA on the web and I didn't have my phone to hand so just couldn't be arsed, then something clicked and I just decided not to log in any more. I eventually logged in after a month or so and I realised I'd missed fuck all. Not really bothered with it since.

I use a Firewalla router at home and have blocked Twitter on the network as I've found myself scrolling there recently, usually off the back of a link I've clicked elsewhere.

Another thing on 2FA. I've started to move from a 2FA app on my phone to a desktop based app. But the keys themselves are stored on a Yubikey (with a backup), so not actually tied to a computer or phone.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    drumbeg wrote:
    You made a good point about 2FA being a barrier to accessing certain things in a positive way. A while back Facebook wanted me to log in via 2FA on the web and I didn't have my phone to hand so just couldn't be arsed, then something clicked and I just decided not to log in any more. I eventually logged in after a month or so and I realised I'd missed fuck all. Not really bothered with it since.

o/
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I have a smart watch and it's utterly pointless and just needs charged all the time.

Every time I look at it I'm reminded of the joke about digital watches in the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy and what a fool I was for thinking it was a useful thing to spend money on.
    an utterly insignificant little blue-green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea...
  • I’ve long ago stopped using Facebook because it’s fucking boring. And eBay because it’s turned from a peer-to-peer second-hand marketplace into a shoddy shopfront for small businesses and dropshippers. Neither of them have any interest for me any more.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I found that ditching all social media cut down on my phone use. I still use the phone/pc all the time but reading news, articles etc is ok by me. It was mindless scrolling that was such a life waster.
  • I like the smart watch - has helped me cut down on phone use and handy for staying available for notifications without needing the phone nearby.
    Kow wrote:
    I found that ditching all social media cut down on my phone use. I still use the phone/pc all the time but reading news, articles etc is ok by me. It was mindless scrolling that was such a life waster.

Found this was good and also dropping out of unnecessary WhatsApp groups. I'm still a sucker for youtube but I try to keep that to a minimum.
    SFV - reddave360
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Ain’t no way I’m getting rid of phone or watch they both serve great purposes and as I use my own phone for work I don’t think not being in touch would be good.

I got rid of Facebook in 2017, great move. I also got rid of eBay even earlier.

Instagram for family pics.

Twitter for the laughs and some selective follows.

This place for games.

YouTube for everything else (mainly tech, cooking, the lawnmower guy, AI stuff, games and people camping in really inhospitable places)

Most of this stuff can be well controlled. Focus modes look good on iOS but I’ve not really made enough use of them.
  • It can't be well controlled or most would ditch their phones and be happier. It's designed for dependence but the dependence is an illusion designed to maximise bucks.
  • Not everybody’s dependent on social media though. Plenty of people just use it for occasional entertainment in a perfectly manageable, sane way.

And there’s no need to conflate phones and social media as if you can’t use a smartphone for other things.
  • It's not just about SM. Google isn't one of the richest companies on the planet because of SM. They mentally tie us to our phones and it works just like any drug. They've changed the way we interact at work and the pressure to check and answer emails is always there even away from the desk. 

People used to finish work, go home and relax, not thinking about work at all. This has been trained out of us. The distinction between work time and leisure time has been eroded to the extent we think it's just a normal part of modern life. We're trained to always be thinking about work at the back of our minds and this didn't used to be the case. The plans to ramp this up are only going to increase. There has been some EU legislation but it's been mostly ignored. What we think of convenient isn't that convenient for our mental health, as countless studies have shown. And now we've got AI to deal with as it slowly integrates into our mobile devices and apps.

It's just about possible to go dark but I'm not sure this will be possible in a few years.
  • I have never had to give a shit about my emails, and I doubt I ever will.
  • The question, really, is does anyone feel anxious if they leave their phone at home? If they do they have a problem.
  • I reckon a good exercise would be to leave your phone at home when you go on holiday. Bit of a hassle as you might need to print shit out for travel but it'd be worth it.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    The possibility of “going dark” is down to the type of job you do. For me it’s impossible. It doesn’t mean I think about work 24/7. I have a good mix of work-life balance and some of that is actually having a phone to hand. I can often times mitigate having to grab the laptop or go into the office because of modern communication.

I selectively mute whatever group work convos are on Teams that I don’t need to be involved with and when I go on holiday I usually disconnect all work stuff from my phone.

It’s really up to me how much stuff I choose to add to my out of hours work load. But also conversely I can also take time I need when I need it in work hours. For example, I left a bit earlier today to get my hair cut, doesn’t come off my salary, I’ll just make the time up somewhere else. I guess I’m lucky in that respect.

• b0r1s wrote:
    I don’t need to be involved with and when I go on holiday I usually disconnect all work stuff from my phone.

Just don't take your phone and see what happens to your brain. There's a twix in it if you manage it.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yeah cos I’m gonna not have my tickets insurance docs, emergency contacts etc. it also means I’d need to buy a printer which means you’re asking me to buy MORE tech.

It seems like your argument isn’t detox usage of tech but to just get rid of the phone and that solves problems. It doesn’t. It just introduces other problems that need to be solved by some older tech.

• I do kinda stress if I leave my phone at home but it's more for the lack of a music player if I'm honest.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I like having my phone. It’s genuinely useful and improves my life massively. I like always having maps and a satnav in my pocket. I like having instant translation anytime. I like having the web available whenever I want to find or ask something. The entertainment and time killing and email side of things are secondary really. And the actual telephone function is barely used.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Yeah cos I’m gonna not have my tickets insurance docs, emergency contacts etc. it also means I’d need to buy a printer which means you’re asking me to buy MORE tech. It seems like your argument isn’t detox usage of tech but to just get rid of the phone and that solves problems. It doesn’t. It just introduces other problems that need to be solved by some older tech.

You can print stuff at the library ya big wuss. Massive psychological fail at the first hurdle!
‹ Previous1234

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!