Up to 6 Billion Players - A Dreamcast Remembrance Thread
‹ Previous123
  • Blue-Swirl.jpg

Today marks 25 years since the launch of the Sega Dreamcast in Japan. It had a short, but beautiful life. They may have struck it down, but in death it become more powerful than they could possibly imagine.

What about those games eh. Just looking at a list is

wwe-banger.gif

Shenmue. Jet Set Radio. Phantasy Star Online. Crazy Taxi. Space Channel 5. Power Stone. Metropolis Street Racer. Skies of Arcadia. Virtua Fighter 3tb. Frogger 2: Swampy's Revenge.

Each and every one certified classics.

Dreamcast. The first console that allowed you to get beaten by Fred Durst no matter where in the world you were.

60o3wmezzbja1.jpg

Dreamcast. The only console that came with a memory card that had a screen allowing me to build up Gary Pitchforth's Chao stats.

D7ic6rsU8AE3kCm.jpg

Dreamcast at 20 25: the futuristic games console that came too soon.

2000.jpg?width=1300&dpr=1&s=none

Over to you.
  • Nice one. 

I will have fond memories of the vs fighters. That’s what I ended up playing the most. Soul Calibur is a goat. And I had Third Strike and other Capcom vs. games like Marvel Super Heroes and Xmen v SF etc. 

It was also a great shmup machine. Obviously there’s Ikaruga but lots of others too. I’d love to collect at some point if I had space in my house!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Never owned one and looking at that pitiful list of bangers, I didn't miss out on a single fucking thing. A console and lineup of games which was so shit it killed Sega off as a console manufacturer
  • I had my first online gaming experience with this console, playing Worms World Party. This other dude was doing all sorts of crazy stuff with his worms with the hookshot. This must have been in 2001? It would be another 4 or 5 years before I'd play online again on the Xbox. Just shows how revolutionary and ahead of its time the Dreamcast was.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I once did a post on here that contained kind of an ode to the aesthetics of the Dreamcast… I think we were listing top three best looking consoles? I keep trying to look for it but can never find it.

Edit: Found it, using Google search instead of forum search backfired.

Sega Dreamcast (1998)

20-anni-dreamcast-sega-annuncia-diretta-celebrativa-9-settembre-19-00-v3-398500.jpg

The Dreamcast is a rare console whose exterior design and actual usage experience are ineluctably linked. Is it possible to look upon the console’s cloud-like exterior without hearing the gentle plink-plonk of its start-up sequence, and seeing its sky-and-sea inspired UI in the mind’s eye? The design resists straight lines – straight lines do not exist in the chaotic rumples of a cloud or the ever-changing surface of the churning sea… and they do not exist in our dreams. We merely look at the controller and the VMU’s screen and gameplay possibilities are an undeniable reality. A distinctive gentle purple cord connects the controller to the console – is it electrical wiring conveying charges from control inputs to a machine, or is it a psychic umbilical cord, sending our most heartfelt wishes and desires to this self-acclaimed caster of dreams? The Dreamcast design is modest and unassuming, perhaps easy to overlook among showier consoles, but unlike many of those consoles it forms a core part of the nostalgia for its platform. Like a dream, the design of the Dreamcast may easily slip from the conscious mind but it will live on inside us forever.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Bestest machine. Will post more later when I'm not on my way to work.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Ah, the Dreamcast - that console has some strong memories for me. 

A Background into How The Dreamcast came to be in House Cinty

It was my oldest brother who first bought a Dreamcast into the house. We used to play Soul Blade together on the Playstation and when he heard that the follow up SoulCalibur was a Dreamcast game (and saw the screenshots) he knew he wanted one. It was also a good time for me, as I basically got to spend his money (albeit, usually on 2nd hand copies and the like) as I had become the go-to person for game recommendations ever since I convinced him not to buy FIFA and actually buy ISS Pro Evolution instead. 

So yeah, played a fair amount of that lovely machine, and then my other brother actually got one once they became dirt cheap so we were actually a 2 Dreamcast household. I eventually got one of those 2 as a hand me down, so absolutely zero complaints there. 

A summary of several, but not all, standout titles on the machine (based on personal affection for them)

But what about The Games and The Memories? Well, there were plenty of both. My standouts would be:

1. Dead or Alive 2

Yes, the DC was originally bought for SoulCalibur (and we played plenty of it) but it was DoA 2 that ended up being the main go-to punch punch. Yes, it was very bouncy, and the characters were incredibly sexy (fun fact, my oldest brother was a Kasumi fan, but I was more into Ayane and Lei Fang), but it was also a bloody fun game.

The environment destruction felt genuinely mindblowing at the time, letting characters crash through scenery into entirely new areas with no loading or stuttering! It was colourful, blazingly fast and had one of the best parry / counter-hit the series has ever seen - pick a character like Ein, for example, and you could straight up batter your opponent without having to throw a punch. 

Just a really, really good fighting game. Possibly my favourite of all time. Yes, more than Power Stone 2 (I am so sorry, gav)

2. Shenmue

5SrPUUG.gif

Something, something...looking for sailors.

Good god, this game was special. 

This was an older brother purchase, rather than an oldest one, and it was a game that we played together. I remember sitting in the bedroom while we tried to work out where to go next, tried to unravel the mysteries. 

There's a bad game design philosophy that permeates the wishes of some players - what if every building could be entered and... - in short, the idea of immersion as a completely explorable world rather than something curated, the idea that quality can be maintained while generating huge amounts of redundant content, that levels can be thoughtfully designed while still allowing players to go anywhere and do anything. 

Shenmue, while not quite a go anywhere, do anything teenage dream game, is I would argue of that ilk. It is the from the mind of a man who clearly didn't give a fuck about Game Design Best Practices™ - it is at once excessive and bloated and obscene, and yet small and intimate. The amount of minutiae, and the focus on real day / night life cycles gave a texture and believability to the small game world that has rarely been matched anywhere else. And it helps that the story and characters, while not the deepest in the world, absolutely bang...

I adored Nozomi, I wanted to catch Lan Di, I was scared of Chai. I had so much fun driving the forklift! The forklift is a character, right?

Yu Suzuki is...not a great modern game designer, lets be clear on that. But his arcade chops are unmatched, and Shenmue 1 and 2 were absolute triumphs - glorious, glittering Heaven's Gate-esque excess of the highest order, and utterly, utterly captivating. 

And, funnily enough, Yu Suzuki was behind another of my DC faves...

3. F355 Challenge 

Christmas day - my brothers and I got these thick old dressing gowns from our nan. And my oldest brother also got a F355 Challenge and Steering Wheel bundle (though he had to put some of his own money in, as we generally didn't do expensive gifts). 

This is one of the defining Christmas memories for me, as we set up the Dreamcast and steering wheel just played this the whole day. 

F355 is butter smooth and an absolutely glorious feeling game, with a handling model that feels quite sim-y despite the game's arcade roots. The game has arcade modes and a campaign and all kinds of races, but the true fun was to be round in just doing hot laps - one track, take it in turns doing a set of laps, and try to shave time off. First it was seconds, then tenths, then hundredths. 

The first few laps were a surprise, as it became clear that breaking and throttle management was actually a thing, though our obsession in recent years with Gran Turismo 2 had prepared us well enough on this front. 

And so we just played it, taking turns, stopping to eat food, coming back to that game - spending the whole day in our dressing gowns. Just a great Christmas, and one of my favourite racing games ever (and, for a long time, one of my All Time Top 10 games, if not still).

4. Phantasy Star Online / Ver.2

Mainly, the OG. Didn't play that much of Ver.2 until I got a Gamecube (excuse the vid above being Ver.2), so PSO 1 remains my defining experience for Dreamcast PSO here. 

While the other games listed above were very much about playing and competing with my brothers - this was very much a me game. They didn't like it at all, and it took me a while to even realise what PSO was. I'd never played anything like it. I knew I was ok with RPGs, being deep into a love of Final Fantasy and desperately looking for more, but the concept of this type of pseudo-MMO ARPG? I'd never seen anything like it.

But I played, and I restarted, and I learnt how it was focused on power and build growth and I struggled with solo-ing bosses designed for MP but...eventually I got there. And I played a lot!

This is pure DC-era Sega - weird, experimental, colourful and painfully ahead of its time. So many games do today what PSO set out to do 23 (!!!!!!!!!!!!!) years ago. This game laid the groundwork for me falling in love with World of Warcraft, and Final Fantasy 14 and Monster Hunter...especially, Monster Hunter. The few times I did go online with it was like stealing a glimpse into a future that only existed on shows like Tomorrow's World.

It's also, in all likelihood, the last truly great game Yuji Naka ever worked on.

Fucking brilliant. I mean...just look at this art!

pso.jpg

5. Crazy Taxi

No need for anything except this song when talking about this game. You get it or you don't. 

6. Virtua Tennis 2

For a long time the greatest tennis game ever made. Smooth, fast, arcade-y with glorious depth and some sim-lite touches. This wasn't just Pong with a Slice. 

7. Sega Bass Fishing

bass.jpg

By the time we got this, the DC were dirt cheap and everyone was just trying to clear stock. Think we got the game and the Sega Fishing Controller for silly money. It was a novelty, but it was a fun novelty, and emblematic of Sega's try everything, be weird approach to DC game design. 

8. ChuChu Rocket!

One of Sonic Team's best. An inventive and, frankly, insane little puzzler. It...had online play for some reason? It was, effectively, a test run for their online stuff for PSO and only Sega would decide that a weird cat and mouse puzzle game was the right way to do that.

chuchu.jpg

But what a puzzle game!

A summary of some random thoughts about the DC

It was a fantastic little machine, and I have such fond memories of this thing. There's a whole bunch of fun games I didn't mention, like Sonic Adventure (which was genuinely really cool, even if it was no Mario 64) and Rez but it also had some issues.

For starters, the genre spread was woefully uneven - something that also afflicted the N64. it desperately lacked a sim racer at a time when a lot of people were going gaga for Gran Turismo (Sega GT was nowhere near, unfortunately) and while it had some great racing games they were often arcadey and late in the day - hello, MSR.

It was a great console for fast-paces arcade PvP, especially arena FPSes -  Quake 3 Arena, Unreal tournament, Outrigger... 

But, again, online play still wasn't there yet and I doubt they moved the needle much. They were cool as fuck, though. 

There's also a bunch of games on the machine which...were just better elsewhere, alebit sometimes at a later date. Jet Set Radio is cool and all, but JSR Future on the Xbox is just a better game in nearly every conceivable way. Rez and Skies of Arcadia suffer similar fates. Code Veronica is, unfortunately, also just straight up not a very good Resi game and I have no idea why it has accumulated the cult following it has. 

It was a weird one, overall, but I also doubt i'd change anything about it. The triggers (though they don't feel great if you actually go back and pick one of them up today) were revolutionary and are now standard on most non-Nintendo control schemes (baring the Gamecube) and it also felt really nice in the hand. It pioneered online gaming in the console space, it let a bunch of weird ass creators off the leash to make whatever they wanted. And it just...had a lot of really fucking good games.

The Dreamcast is Dead, long live the Dreamcast.
  • Wonderful stuff, chaps. Really.

Thanking you all. I'll add some thoughts later.
  • How has no one mentioned the light gun games yet smdh
  • Funkstain wrote:
    How has no one mentioned the light gun games yet smdh

Because they all come up short to Point Blank on the Playstation. 

Typing of the Dead on the other hand...
  • Cinty, that's quite the post. Bravo :)
    Today I'm uploading a Dreamcast emulator and ROMs to my device as I have little actual work to do today.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Haha, I knew exactly what I was about to hear on that Crazy Taxi video.

Lovely write up Cinty.
  • Jet Set Radio is cool and all, but JSR Future on the Xbox is just a better game in nearly every conceivable way.

DTSnnYYW0AIGPos?format=jpg&name=large
  • Ok, the OG Radio has the better graffiti mechanic - otherwise Future got it licked.
  • I hate to admit it in this thread, but unfortunately Cinty is correct. Future has the better ost too.

Both absolutely unforgettable though.
  • I'm going the other way with the OST but agree with the rest.
  • I've just realised I must have got it earlier than I thought. I pre-ordered Last Hope, which was released January 2007, so must have been 2006.

I'm not great as scrolling shooters to start with, but it's hard as nails. Here is simulated footage of me playing it.

• The one DC game that i never really got to try, but really want to, is this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segagaga

Imagine there's a translated ROM by this point, so might be worth a look...
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    The one DC game that i never really got to try, but really want to, is this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segagaga

Imagine there's a translated ROM by this point, so might be worth a look...

Apparently there’s not been a fan translation yet although there’s been several doomed attempts over the years. One is being worked on and the project was still alive and progressing smoothly as of August this year so maybe soon.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Gah... the 90s, take me back for fuck sakes. Much like Cinty, a lot of my gaming back then was with the brother - lugging 5 tonne TVs around the house to do lan setups and what not. Granted this was mainly when Halo arrived, but before that, just before the Dreamcast was my Red Pill. What good times, what magical times. Standout games for me:

- PSO
    - Crazy Taxi
    - Power Stone
    - Headhunter
    - Soul Calibur
    - Third Stike
    - Code Veronica
    - Skies of Arcadia
    - Gigawing
    - Shadowman
    - MSR
    - Ready 2 Rumble
    - Capcom VS SNK
    - Gunbird
    - Daytona USA

If only we could go back...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Still have my DC. My picks over the years are

Bangai O - still likely the "best" version because it polished the scoring and powerup system of the N64 original.

Cannon Spike - still a DC exclusive? Smash TV type of thing but with Capcom fan service to the rafters. You can play as Mega Man, Arthur et al and the levels are all Capcom game tributes Sigh. Short but the replayabilty is oh so sweet.

Confidential Mission - marvellous light gun game - there should have been more of these on DC. The Wii demonstrated that.

Cosmic Smash - beautiful 3D Virtua Tennis / Arkanoid hybrid with a heavy score attack element. Beautiful abstract graphics and laid back presentation.

Daytona USA 2001 - when it comes to content this is still top of the Daytona port pile. Lovely graphics and a good clutch of tracks and modes. Marvellous with the wheel.

Gigawing - this was the only port until the recent Capcom stadium. It still has an exclusive stage based score attack mode and you can unlock the true last boss as a selectable ship. :)

Mr. Driller - not exclusive but definitive with the Dreamcast arcade stick.

Pro Pinball Trilogy - only the PC got this alongside the DC. Gorgeous representation of 3 of the Pro Pinball series' tables. Still highly playable. Sings with the VGA cable.

Rez

Sturmwind - beautiful post DC death indie hori shooter. Piles of set pieces but it has a marvellous weapon system that really gets its hooks into you.

Typing of the Dead - why I still have two Dreamcast keyboards.

Virtua Tennis 1 & 2

Wetrix+ - adds a bit of polish to the N64 original and doesn't spoil it by adding stuff to it the way the ill advised sequel on PS2 did.

If there is a console that was anachronistic, it was the Dreamcast. It was behind the contemporary tastes in mainstream games which were heavy on campaign modes; instead it harkened back to the arcade at home.

But it was also ahead of its time. Online is the obvious feature, but so was its experimental library with content such as Rez, SegaGaga and Seaman.

The default controller suffered from its arcade leanings and I'm still baffled how they screwed it up so much when they had the lovely Saturn 2D and 3D pads before it. It's still a decent pad but it should have been better.

Its arcade library comes to life with the official arcade stick - still a lovely thing with excellent build quality. I was able to vulture 4 of them when they were still going for spare change.

It was the console that caused the PAL 50Hz scales to fall from my eyes. With an  RGB SCART cable you could see what you were missing. I was never able to go back.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • The DC was just like the Neo Geo, a home version of an arcade board, so all of the Naomi ports were excellent, and it had a scattering of other great games too (Shenmue is not one of them), however, the controller was shite, and it tried to launch an online service for consoles when most of the world still used dial-up.

Sega's reputation was in tatters, and everyone was just waiting for PS2, so a lot of DC's library ended up being slightly better looking, smoother running PS1 ports.

Like the N64 and many other consoles, the highs were very high, but the overall library wasn't strong enough when compared to it's direct rivals.
  • DC Bangai-O was in my top 10 for ages.  It's possibly my favourite Treasure game.
  • Speedhaak wrote:
    Gah... the 90s, take me back for fuck sakes. 
     If only we could go back...

• Speedhaak wrote:
    - Headhunter

Aww man, I forgot about this one. It really suffered from being positioned as an "MGS killer!!!!" which I think did it a disservice. It did some cool pseudo-open world stuff and I think it kinda suffers a bit from unnecessary comparisons and expectations.

Also, i forgot 2 more games I loved on the system that I might write up later:

- MDK2
    - Fur Fighters!!!!!!!!
  • I'm sure kneecap will be along to disregard everything I've said and splurge all over the DC like the big Sega fanboy he is.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Great write up Cinty, and you are bang on the money when it comes to Jet Set Radio vs. Future. The latter is just a much better game.

Big regret getting rid of my DC. It was the console me and my daughter bonded over gaming with. We used to love playing Crazy Taxi together, and we used to love arguing over Soul Calibur, this was the point she started to get good at games and was legitimately beating me. She was also pretty good at MSR, which was probably my favourite racing game at the time and I enjoyed it much more than GT at the time.

Other personal favourites included playing Virtua Tennis 2 pretty much every day since I bought the game, was just so much fun.

Probably the most influential game of the DC, for me, has to be Shenmue. The game was like nothing I'd played before and every night, after getting back home from work (I was a delivery driver at the time) I couldn't wait to get down to the warehouse and move crates around with my forklift truck... madness.
  • Oh, man, Fur Fighters was legit.
  • Went from Playstation to Dreamcast to og xbox.
    I regret NOTHING!
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Good work everyone, will hopefully add to the memories sometime later. For now:
    I did not realise there was a Frogger 2 on DC, must check it out.
    If you still have a console, it's highly likely it will play games burned to CDRs
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
‹ Previous123

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!