2024 Goals: Div does a Handstand
  • A place for goals over the next year, whatever they are for you.

It's a bit early but I want to get started anyway.

My goal is to do a handstand.
    Not just any throw myself at the wall upside down handstand (I'm likely to make my home fully open plan trying that) but a properly controlled handstand from a squat position.
    Like this.

Why this?
    Well the real goal is to lose fat, gain strength, gain flexibility. I'll have to do all three to achieve this but focussing on a handstand in particular gives my a quantifiable goal that isn't just numeric and I can visualise in my mind's eye.
    Looking at estimates online they suggest it can take a few months to a year or two to achieve. I will definitely not be in the few months category so it's a good goal to fill the year with.

I can push for this regardless of anything else that happens in life short of an injury or illness.

Finally it looks cool.

Method.
    At the very least to start with I'll continue my current routine of alternating weights workouts and yoga.
    Plus dog walking with a weighted rucksack.
    Then dieting, eating well, proper actual food. Probably with less cheating (currently once a week).

Follow the steps in the video above working on them specifically on top of regular usual workouts.

Where I'm at currently errrr.
    Way too heavy. I'm heavy genetically (thighs like battleships and bone as dense as diamond) but still carrying far too much fat compared to muscle to achieve this.
    I'm flexible enough to achieve Level 1 from that video.
  • My goal is the same I've set myself the last two years but haven't gotten around to: play drums again and start a drumming IG and post stuff. I have years of experience then years of inactivity but seeing the quality of those with massive followings I think, hmm, I could do that.

Get my teeth fixed, rattle the gym a little bit, then get buying equipment again.
  • I got my chipped front teeth sorted about a year ago and it made a huge difference to my self confidence.

Friends and family said they couldn't even tell I'd done anything but it meant the world to me to have them sorted.

Would be keen to see some drumming for sure. I have massive respect for anyone with musical ability.
  • I did that handstand thing this year and can knock it out at will now. Great feeling still, though, whenever I have a bash.
  • Nice one Unc.
    No handed jedi stand is surely the god tier though.
  • My one goal is to pay off the final bit of credit card debt, which would make me debt free since the start of the millennium (bar mortgage).

The aim is to then save for a small building at the back of the garden, where I’m hoping to put a gym and stuff for kids’ kung fu etc.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I set myself some new goals a few weeks ago, but they're a bit pathetic compared to wanking upside down and ridding oneself of debt. They're real though, so I'll post them. One's a biggie tbf, the rest are just things I fancied doing.

1. Quit smoking. Going well so far, had two joints and no other tobacco since 28/10. Also only had about 3 pulls of a vape, so I'm aiming for (more or less) the full shut off. I didn't smoke loads but I got to the stage where I always smoked when I was drinking, which needed to stop.
    2. Cut out afternoon naps.
    3. Watch more films and TV programmes.
    4. Drink more whisky.

Not doing particularly well with no.2 but I'm on fire with no.3, compared to my usual habits. Being a bit of a fiend for retro and indie games means film watching has taken a massive hit in recent years, and TV programmes basically got nuked with the odd exception. I've watched half a dozen films and one full TV series since the end of Oct, which is great going for me. No.4 sounds like something I've just chucked in as a lol but I've not been as into it as I was a few years ago and I got the taste again recently so I've gone all in.
  • Mine is to stop procrastinating on YT and watch more films and tv too.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • My goal is the same I've set myself the last two years but haven't gotten around to: play drums again and start a drumming IG and post stuff. I have years of experience then years of inactivity but seeing the quality of those with massive followings I think, hmm, I could do that. Get my teeth fixed, rattle the gym a little bit, then get buying equipment again.

I've been tempted to get a used copy of Rock Band from somewhere to get back to the drums. Rock band let you use a regular electric drum kit right?

My goals are:
    - Keep going with fitness stuff. Getting into running but recent surgery and tooth troubles paused that for now.
    - Do piano practice on the regular again.
    - Get my finances back in order. Big holiday this year put me a bit out of sorts.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Is IG yoof for Instagram?
  • Rock Band 4 let you hook up actual electric drum kits via midi controller but the previous titles didn't. I always found them good for keeping a sense of timing, but there isn't much groove or feel playing them. Excellent practice tool to keep general rhythm in yourself, but wouldn't count on it to actually learn technique.
  • I've wanted a kit for years, keep thinking about an electric one but have worries like you mention there Gav. Nothing like the feel of an actual drum kit to play on.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Modern electric kits are very very good and highly advanced, just extremely expensive compared to a trad kit. You can get groove and feel from them, you just have to pay for it.
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    With any luck I should be testing for my karate black belt in October - that's my main goal for the year, to get through that.
  • Not going to diarise this whole thing but Day 1 and I managed to get my ass out of bed half an hour early and do a yoga session.
    I don't think anything I did in the session will directly help with the handstand but priority 1 is losing chub so hopefully it will help there.

Main dog walk done with weighted backpack.

Arms workout and another yoga session later.
  • I’ve found yoga really fucking helps with core strength and general getting toned, which frankly is a bit mad considering how little exertion it seems to inflict. Love it.
  • Will be joining up to goop next.
  • Fuck that Paltrow mental shit and her fanny candles.

I do enjoy the yoga though, including all the breathing stuff. I've been doing it for maybe a month now and I've noticed my breathing is much better in general. Not that I was puffing about the place all the time but I think most of us probably breath too shallow without realising.
  • Exercise wise, I'd like to take up more tennis so that I can play with my son.  Might take a couple of lesson as I can hit a forehand but not a backhand.  And can't serve at all, only underarm!

For my lifts, would love to hit a bodyweight (73kg or so) clean and jerk.  And start doing snatches (again).
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yoga session #1 down.
    365 to go. Yep is a leap year.
  • Questor wrote:
    With any luck I should be testing for my karate black belt in October - that's my main goal for the year, to get through that.
    Brilliant.
    Just brilliant. Love to hear of your progress, keep us in the loop!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I have been toying with doing something to capture my 30 years of martial arts knowledge and today I've been writing a treatment for a book. I have an idea of a novel way of doing it using my diaries and notebooks from the last few years and looking at martial arts from the perspective of a middle aged man who lived it, loved it and then forced himself to fall out of love so I could park it for a year or two and focus on my kids.

Now it's time to get back into it so this will document my attempts to revitalise that passion
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!