Rain World
  • Maybe the best '6/10' ever? Anyone else playing it? Or played it already?

For the unaware it's basically a survivalist, puzzle platformer set in a pretty-pixelled post-apocalyptic... sewer? I'm not entirely sure where it's set. You play a wonderfully animated cat-like thing, and there are lots of other creatures inhabiting the landscape too, each of which has a place on the food chain, as do you. So you need to eat things and other things are trying to eat you. also, it rains a lot and when it rains you die.

The game is hard. It's vague. It doesn't signpost or handhold or give you clues at all- at least not explicitly. There is clearly a lot to learn and know about the environment and its inhabitants, and gaining this knowledge is key to progress/survival, but none of it will be delivered to you. the game won't even tell you where to look. or even to look. I'm still trying to make sense of it myself. i think for many this level of ambiguity and lack of signposting would be a failing, but for a minority this is probably the best thing about it. I knew immediately from the previews that this would be my bag, so i'm definitely in second camp. 

Please, no spoilers outside of tags. I want to figure it all out for myself from the ground up. Every little detail.
  • I don't think I'll play it but I've watched a couple of in-depth videos and it all seems very impressive. It's also something that seems to have gained traction through word of (internet) mouth as I don't think most publications knew quite what to make of it at launch (it's 6yrs old on PC/PS4).
  • I think i've seen the opening synopsis of said videos a while ago. it all sounded so promising that i decided not to consume any further content related to the game until i was in a position to play it myself. glad i resisted as this is a real treat so far.
  • Got this and the new DLC thanks to work. Gonna try and have a crack on it probably some time next week.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It's probably one of those things I actually bought at some point and completely forgot I even have. Must check.
  • I bought half the Destiny DLC and didn't know until a couple of weeks ago.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    I bought it on Steam AGES ago and am yet to play it (like most of my Steam library)
  • It's one of the more convincing Metroidy games of recent years, largely because it commits to being an arsehole and not babying players whatsoever. Bit like Metroid 2 in that spiritual respect. Level design is satisfying. The ecosystem stuff and the animations are very effective. I never finished it because uhh dunno really? Life?
  • It's also sort of the very very long tail of stuff like Knytt Stories, the original '00s indie build-your-own-Metroid-level smash and still probably in a personal top number of titles.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Purchased in march 2017 on psn. Who knew? Not me.
  • I knew, this was discussed not too long ago.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Interesting
  • Have it. Started it years ago. Arseholery wasn't where I was at at the time. But could see the appeal. One day
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • It’s really really good. I bounced off it initially but Noxy starting it at the same time gave me a little push to persevere and I’m glad I have. I think a lot will hate it and dismiss straight off but I’m finding my way and it’s really really good.
  • This is such a treat. To find fault, the music is a pretty uninspired (to put it nicely), which is a shame because although the game has so much charm, character and atmosphere already, a few well-chosen backing tracks could really elevate the experience to something quite exceptional. these outstandingly dull beats drag everything down a bit with them (but just a bit). the sounds effects are pretty low tier too. It might also have been cool if the whole rain thing and the ensuing struggle to find shelter had a few more dynamic safe havens, rather than pre-determined safe spaces? Just a  thought. i can imagine racing against a rising tide to find some little nook or air pocket to rest could be quite intense. as things stand there isn't really any race against the elements; it's more of a timer, and most of the time you might as well just lay down and die. 

all that said, these are minor points because overall im really loving this. really loving it. i have foudn so many little actions and interactions, and there has been such a joy of discovery to each. even the things i don't understand inspire me to want to find out through experimentation. the game just triggers rare moods and vibes. I don't think i ever played something where i felt so nimble, sly and vulnerable, the latter being particularly important.
  • got fucked up by some 
    Spoiler:
    but then
    Spoiler:
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Do you think that was a scripted event, or emergent?
  • it's not scripted. 

edit: well, i can't be absolutely certain from my experience, but i feel quite confident. 
    Spoiler:
  • This was my game of the year for sure.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!