2023 Predictions
‹ Previous12
  • I'm curious to see what people expect from the next 12 months in gaming. Not so much from a "what will come out" or "what will be goty" (but do that if you want); but where that might intersect with or diverge from your own interests.

Most anticipated games
    1 Tears of the Kingdom - I'm hopeful that this will be as engrossing as botw was, with lots to discover and a sense of wonder from my end.
    2. Pikmin 4. I want to know how the rubber ducky gets home.
    3. Yakuza Ishin.

General predictions
    1. Steam deck 2 will be irresistible
    2. Virtual reality will continue to be an out of reach luxury in a hostile economy
    3. Switch 2 not announced but there will be a project name circulated and semi plausible specs and features "leaked"
    4. Street fighter 6 will be massive and on par with fortnite/pubg
    5. Half Life sequel gets unveiled
    6. Bob finally writes the perfect haiku, causing all art simulation AIs to surrender unconditionally.

I'll still be playing streets of rage 4 despite all this.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Death and destruction.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Oh, you mean games?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Death and destruction.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Classic three-post Haiku from Kow
  • Could you expand on this please:
    . Street fighter 6 will be massive and on par with fortnite/pubg

I saw something about open world but haven't gone any deeper. Will it be FTP?
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Vela wrote:
    3. Switch 2 not announced but there will be a project name circulated and semi plausible specs and features "leaked"

Plausible, but eventually proven to be fanciful compared to what we actually get.
  • Hodge360 wrote:
    Could you expand on this please:
    . Street fighter 6 will be massive and on par with fortnite/pubg

I saw something about open world but haven't gone any deeper. Will it be FTP?

There's a better than even chance that I am talking out my arse here, but given it seems to be targeting the esport market which is currently unoccupied in the fighting genre, and you now have regular cross platform options including PC, xbox and PS I just thought that the time is right.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Unless it's F2P, I doubt it.
  • Tears of the Kingdom to reach the run up to launch with its major secret still under wraps - i.e: it's not just the same Hyrule with more verticality, there's something massive and awesome about it that we don't know yet.  Like TIME TRAVEL or a Flipside Hyrule or an underground dark world or massive sky dungeons that slot on top of the map once vanquished or something.  Plus it won't maintain its fps target of 30 and DS will lol.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Tears of the Kingdom to reach the run up to launch with its major secret still under wraps - i.e: it's not just the same Hyrule with more verticality, there's something massive and awesome about it that we don't know yet.  Like TIME TRAVEL or a Flipside Hyrule or an underground dark world or something.

Or microtransactions
  • More Ninty predictions: 

The gap between reveal and release for the next proper 3D Mario will be quite short.  Like 4mths.  And the game will bang.    

Metroid Prime 4 won't happen and someone will be sad about it on a Direct.  By way of apology, the Prime collection will release at the end of the same Treehouse showcase, at 50% off for 48hrs (£27.49).
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Tears of the Kingdom to reach the run up to launch with its major secret still under wraps

On launch day we discover that it's a pachinko machine.
  • The next Mario will be a launch title for the Switch 2. It will need the extra horsepower to realise its open-world concept which will follow the Bowsers Fury template. A big, open, go anywhere space with mini worlds. It and the new console will be announced in Q3 2023 for release in Q2 2024.
  • Another next-gen launch title Nintendo will announce will be Switcheroo. A motion game with baffling mechanics that no one wants but will still sell bucketloads.
  • - Despite strong reviews and heavy marketing, EA will drop the ball on this year's "EA FC" with Fifa hurriedly putting together a deal with Visual Concepts who bring out Fifa 2K24. Its a horrible buggy mess but the naming confuses enough folk to make a dent in EA's market share. EA & Fifa eventually make up.

- SF6's open world brawler mode thing will be my goty

- Xbox release a GP "Puck" for tvs.

- Activision deal gets torpedoed once and for all
  • Fresh from the success of Atari 50, other companies will rush out their own compilations. Sega 50 will be outsourced to a third-party, be stymied by corporate interference and be a disappointment. Nintendo 50 will be a NES and Gameboy rom dump, have some pdf instruction manuals, cost £60 and get a 10 in Edge.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Resi 4 Remake will be the best game ever made
  • I only know the basics in fairness, but I still can't understand why resistance to the Activision deal couldn't be squashed by tough titties.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’ll be surprised if the Activision deal doesn’t go through, TBH.
  • i was trying to think who would be crowned Flounce 2023, and i think i'm going to go for mk64. I can't give a reason- it's just a feeling- and this isn't intended as a dig. 

unless of course he reads this, in which case i have ironically altered the course of history.
  • Didn’t think he flounced? Thought he posted very recently. Somewhere.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yeah mk has never flounced
  • He almost flounced when we moved to here, didn’t he? We got the ignore button because of him.

Monkey and Brooks mostly got to him I think. “Here comes the hero”.  Brooks is a hero, guys.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Odds of a new console platform? Steam deck has shown that a mature library on PC can be easily adapted for portable/tv use.

Maybe Apple's rumoured game device might turn up. Probably only need to be a base for an iOS device to dock to.
  • VR rumours aplenty around Apple. They’ll probably do a beefed up Apple TV that acts as a multimedia hub. Then controller, headset etc sold separately.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'll likely be playing shmups and little else apart from some retro and local MP Switch fare.

Hope I can chalk up at least one more shmup 1CC.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • 1. Starfield will be a mess and not offer much more than Skyrim in space.
    The people will love it when they eventually get their hands on it in November.

2. Nintendo will do nothing interesting with hardware or big IP except Zelda.

3. MS will expand cloud into more areas.

4. Towards the end of the year some solid rumours of a PS5 Slim will start to emerge. MS will stick to their current form factors but with some different coloured Series S consoles, Orange/teal/mid grey.
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!