YFUs normal GOTY 2022 thread with just normal maths.
‹ Previous1234
  • Right then, I’m sorry, really I am, but here’s a normal fucking list for your best games of the year.

Top 5 in order and some honourable mentions after that if you want. 1st get 5 points, 2nd 4, 3rd 3, 4th 2, and 5th 1. I’ll tally em up at some point at the end of January and there’ll be some kind of winner declared.

Gotta have released this year for the first time on the format you’re voting for. Remakes and remasters count. If you like one of those Capcom compilations then the whole thing counts and not just one game off there.

There’s no factoring, no weighting, no showing off my galaxy big brain by making this weirdly complicated. It’s just plain meat, potatoes, and two veg and that’s how I like it. It’s the missionary of end of game lists and that’s the easiest way of getting it done.

Knock yourselves out.
  • 1. God of war : ragnarok
    2. Half life 2 on steam deck
    The Forum Herald™
  • If I'm going by how many hours sunk into a game then Vampire Survivors by a clear country mile
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Thank you, Uncle. Finally someone with the bravery to stand up to Muzzy's tyranny.
  • But potatoes are vegetables
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Ban this sick filth
  • With reviews cribbed from the 52 Games thread that contain things like references to how many weeks ago I'd heard of the game and what my GotY list looked like in July.

1. Poinpy - Netflix Games

Insanely good bitesize roguelite that works as a delightful companion piece to the excellent Downwell.  Where its predecessor was a down screen shmup 'n stomp arcadelike blaster, this uses an aim & fling mechanic that sees you collecting fruit to sate the hunger of a huge nasty that's hot on your tail.  If anything the combo system works even better here, as the risk/reward is far more manageable imo.  The combo system in Downwell was hugely addictive, but I often found myself chasing chains at the eventual expense of progression - in Poinpy maintaining high fruit chains is absolutely key to success, and also easily one of the most addictive dangling carrots of recent years.  Racking up and banking a high fruit count is about as satisfying as quick fix gaming gets.  

The more you play the more double jumps you unlock (which refresh when you hit terra firma), plus you can spend currency on perks that can be assigned to item slots (which also increase with XP).  It didn't feel grindy to me though, just absolutely glorious whenever it gifts you a slight leg up.  I'm a bit gutted I had to max out the stats before reaching gourmet level 20, which means by the time I hit the credits the game had hit the ceiling for niceties - meaning I am scrub - but I had a fantastic time.  I've not played mobile games for more than ten minutes here and there, tending to resist touch screen stuff as much as possible, but if there's anything even remotely as good as this out there it might be time to broaden my horizons.  If not, imagine the tat I could play!

It's one you have to play to get a feel for really, rather than reading a description of the gameplay, but once you do what seems daunting at first quickly becomes second nature, and the more you practice the more you'll learn to play around with the possibilities/test out your own tactics.  A completely unexpected treat; I had no idea it existed until Jon mentioned it a couple of days ago, but unless I'm forgetting something my GotY list currently looks like this:

1. Poinpy [9]
    2. Olli Olli World
    3. Rogue Legacy 2
    4. Infernax
    5. Tunic

300x0w.jpg

2. Olli Olli World - Switch

Clearly not done as I've only ticked off maybe 65% of the possible tasks (and extras opened up post credits), but I've reached Gnirvana/credits so it gets chalked up in here.  

I knew I'd like this, it was just a question of how much.  Turns out it's definitely my GotY so far, elbowing Infernax, SIFU and Tunic aside without breaking sweat.  Aside from being a near perfect score chaser it's also astonishingly accessible.  You can play it as an auto runner, and if you do it's in the top tier.  This is how Tilly plays it (and how I played the last area), and it's ridiculous how adept she is a chaining grinds together just by reacting in the nick of time.  It's great fun as a casual experience and doesn't restrict progress with irritating gating requirements.  You can play it as a checklist mop 'em up, and some of the tasks are equal parts fiendish and superb.  Its ultimate form is probably as a legit leaderboard chaser, something that it excels at to the point where Trials might be the only series ahead of this one now.  

Literally my only complaint aside from frame drops on the Switch port is the fact that the height gained on jumps occasionally feels like it's operating on hidden RNG rather than unwavering precision.  Yes, it's based on a number of variables you need to be in command of, but it also feels ever-so-slightly unreliable from time to time.  The flip trick controls, grinding, grabbing, spinning and manuals for trick chaining are all just about as perfect as you could possibly wish for, but the size of your leap as you leave the lip of a ramp just feels a smidge too exacting with its insistence on near-frame perfect execution (and/or just being a bit random, says the voice in my head).    

That's it, otherwise it's pretty much a perfect game.  The execution of the 'play at your level' promise really can't be understated.  [9]

P6_Play.gif?t=1649375844

...and the Void raiders DLC

3. Rogue Legacy 2 - Xbox Series S

Super sequel that doesn't quite have the majestic combat of Dead Cells, Hades or ScourgeBringer but might pip the lot in terms of the overall package.  I played the original for a few hours on Vita but had to fold after a dozen or so deaths as I couldn't handle the structure back then.  I don't think I even liked comparatively straightforward Metroidvania games at that point in my gaming career, so it's fair to say I'm a changed man.  Maybe I'll be playing 100hr JRPGs in a few years? [Future narrator: oh no he isn't]. I loved the simple walk, jump & wallop gameplay of the original, which felt like it had roots stretching as far back as the 8-bit era, but couldn't handle either the proc gen or one life thing.  I've grown accustomed to it since (thankfully, as plenty of the games that really catch my eye these days seem to adopt a similar approach), and this is more welcoming than most in terms of user-friendliness.  It has house rules for a start, which you can tinker with to make it easier or more difficult in various ways.  I opted for 85% enemy damage and health from the off, which felt perfect for the most part*.  Furthermore there are added niceties in the structure compared to the majority of games of its type.  Warp points that you can pay to unlock permanently.  Bosses that stay dead.  The ability to lock the layout of your previous run as many times as you like (for a percentage of that run's gold, brilliant for retrying bosses).  Characters that level up, base stats that continue to improve, perks to invest in, gear/rune buffs that remain equipable once purchased, multiple character classes each suited to different scenarios.  Plus more I'm forgetting.  The more you play the easier it gets, in a way, but the late game is genuinely tricky and pretty much all the bosses put up a good fight.  It's nasty and nice in equal measures, whereas something like ScourgeBringer revels in being mean.            

Jumping, attacking, dashing and pogoing all feel great here - much like the original the foundations err on the simpler side.  At no point did I feel that the basics were letting me down, which is essential for a high quality rogue.  Being a roguelike the phrase 'there's a lot more to it' is obviously a given with regards to combat intricacies/synergies and whatnot, but it's essential for all good examples of the format to offer a nitty-gritty combat loop that withstands a ton of repetition.  This certainly does.  I rushed it a bit to clear my plate for a delicious last course, but of all the 2D rogues I've played this is the one I'd be most willing to put serious hours into.  There's all sorts of untapped excellence waiting for me if I return, no doubt.  

I mostly played on a Series S but had a few runs on the old One S in the front room, which suffered from performance issues in the second area.  That might be patched out at some point and it might not, so play next gen if you can.  Not quite GotY, but it would be if I hadn't played Olli Olli World.  [9]

*I had to reduce it further for the final boss though - I'd reached level 83 by that point but didn't feel powerful enough/was too scrub, so nerfed it down to 70/70.  My advice to anyone starting out would be 'don't rush it', as the last three guardians all mean business.  

death.gif

4. Infernax - Xbox Series S

Nick sent me a video of this a few weeks ago and I must admit I thought it looked like a bit of a bandwagon boarder.  I'm not one to roll my eyes at 8-bit style offerings but even I didn't think the trailer screamed play me now.  Then I noticed it stealth dropped on Gamepass, then I realised it was made by the same team as Just Shapes and Beats and it instantly leapfrogged all my shiny new PS5 games.  

I basically hammered it over the course of three days.  At the name select screen I foolishly wiped ALCEDOR and attempted an Alucard approximation by calling my guy MOOTARD, which didn't radiate as much heroicness in dialogue exchanges as I'd intended.  No backsies though, so off I went with big some people call me....Tim energy and the adventure gradually buffed itself up to early GotY contender territory.     

The template is reminiscent of Castlevania II/Zelda II, although I've only played those games briefly so Wonderboy III would be my main frame of reference.  It mimics that sort of simplistic, proto-Metroidvania style anyway.  The closest modern comparison is the okay-ish retro inspired Aggelos, which comparatively speaking isn't even fit to polish Mootard's helmet.  Simplicity is probably the keyword for the controls, as the basics are....pretty basic.  You can prod your weapon straight ahead while standing, jumping or crouching, and - a smattering of findable abilities aside - that's it for the combat.  An early confrontation with an oversized beastie sets the tone.  If you think you might crave a dodge button, a parry, a double jump, a downward plunge or maybe some sort of slide attack I presume 'is this it?' will be your main takeaway from the opening hour.  Even Rastan had a wider array of moves.  Embrace the barebones mechanics it becomes an absolute joy though - the timings and tactics felt just right for me and it ended up being possibly the best sidescrolling hack 'n slasher since Volgarr.  It's just so well designed in terms of layouts and enemy placement.

It's very difficult, and it wants you to know that it knows this. Every time you die you'll be pulled back to your last manual save shrine and offered the choice of persevering with the default Classic Mode (all progress since your last save is wiped), or dropping it down to casual (more checkpoints, some XP and gold retained upon death).  If you manage to resist this perpetual temptation keeping one eye on save points will be crucial for all but the l33test of knights.  There were numerous occasions where I broke the back of a dungeon and headed outside to bank a key rather than push on and risk losing all post-save progression.  You can buy lives in certain villages, so by the end of the game I could die three times before being whisked back to a checkpoint in the distant past, but the challenge is real.  The more you play the more XP you earn, which can be used to boost either power, health or mana, so if you do hit a wall there's scope for improving your chances outside of the simple git gud approach.  As usual with this sort of thing methodical play + learning from mistakes is key to success, but as the game controls so well if you're anything like me you'll lose plenty of lives thanks to carelessness caused by getting a bit carried away.  Some magic abilities offset the balance slightly (one is particularly OP, and made absolute mincemeat of the final boss) but the game is malleable enough to withstand being messed with.  Case in point: it leans heavily into optional cheat codes for post credits fun, and 
    Spoiler:
    doesn't actually break the game.

There's a hidden morality system running through the adventure, with multiple endings resting on your choices at key moments (which do occasionally have some neat repercussions), so there's replay value here too, even without the smorgasbord of cheat codes.  I'm still sulking at the Blasphemous devs for adding 8-bit mode to one of its umpteen title updates but tucking it away deep within the game (which I'd already restarted as a new game + when prompted, so I'm hours away from accessing it).  This scratched that particular fomo itch perfectly though; it's basically a pseudo 8-bit Blasphemous with the cheeky flourishes/character of Shovel Knight and I absolutely lapped it up.

I only managed 82% completion, despite thinking I'd done all the optional quests (I managed to get the 'ultimate good' ending), and I'm quite proud of myself for sticking with the standard difficulty.  AFAIK it doesn't punish you for selecting casual mode so anyone half interested but wary of the difficulty should check it out anyway. [9] An unexpected Game Pass treat, but I'd have no complaints if I'd spent £16 on it. I will now play anything developed by Berserk Studios.

c08ff71ec6cf8072af952e1b72bf3e2118137c79.gifv

5. Shovel Knight Dig - Switch

Roguelike spin-off to Shovel Knight that retains the retro perfected controls of the first game and layers a ton of pilfered/borrowed ideas from elsewhere on top.  Mr. Driller is an obvious influence, but there's Downwell, Steamworld Dig, Neon Abyss, Meatboy Forever (in the way that the randomised non-proc gen segments are handled) and, although more of a stretch perhaps, the three coin hunt from NSMB is in here too.  The amalgamation of inspiration has been moulded into a wonderful rogue that hits a little differently to most modern examples of the genre.  It's not a gradual beef-up game for starters.  You'll amass a pool of banked currency which can be spent in town, but the permanent unlocks don't significantly change subsequent runs.  A particular armour is a minor game changer if used correctly, sure, but otherwise additional perks and buffs are mostly chalked off when you return to the surface.  It definitely leans towards 'learn & git gud', rather than 'play long enough to increase your chances of success with drip-fed permanent leg-ups'.  Thankfully it's the perfect length for this approach, with my one successful run so far weighing in at 28 mins total.  There are shortcuts you can pay for, which are useful for learning elements of the later stages, but it didn't take me long to stop bothering with them as warping to the 4th stage with the base stats felt like trying to pay for a bus ride with stamps.  Working your way down from the top while trying not to miss any secret rooms or golden cogs is the way to go imo.  The cog hunt is so good it probably pushes this into [9] territory, although I haven't decided yet.  There are three tucked away on each stage - never hidden, but often tricky to grab as you descend.  Reach the bottom of a stage with one and you get some gems.  If you're holding two you get more gems and a small healing item.  Nab all three and you get the choice of a large healing item or a random perk that stays with you for the rest of your run.  Heal or stat boost is a near-constant consideration.  The cogs are a devious and genius addition which feels pretty essential to the appeal of the (clearly repetitive by nature) gameplay loop.  Super stuff, it's agonising when you miss one.

It's a nice looking game too.  Nitrome have gone for a Shovel Knight but 16-bit approach, which could've gone disastrously wrong but thankfully hasn't.  It's not quite chef's kiss territory as there's something a teensy bit off about some of the sprite design choices for me, but it's damn close and gets a big thumbs up.  Music is excellent, as expected.  One of the tracks sounds like a lost cut from Sonic 3, which is a win in my book.

I think my love for all things Shovelly might be clouding my judgement slightly, so trying to remove myself from that I'd probably have to say £22.49 is pricey for a rogue of this size.  Anyone considering it shouldn't expect a quest that requires the dedication of something like Hades or Dead Cells, for example - it's more of an arcadealikeroguelike (tm), perhaps.  I enjoyed Pocket Dungeon, which was well out of my comfort zone as gem puzzlers aren't my bag for the most part, but Shovel Knight side dishes have been of a very high quality so far, and I'd happily play more.  None should pass. [8]

RepentantEmotionalDunnart-size_restricted.gif
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    my GotY list currently looks like this:

1. Poinpy [9]
    2. Olli Olli World
    3. Rogue Legacy 2
    4. Infernax
    5. Tunic

[…]

5. Shovel Knight Dig - Switch

?
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    With reviews cribbed from the 52 Games thread that contain things like references to how many weeks ago I'd heard of the game and what my GotY list looked like in July.
  • Classic Moot
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’m still confused, but I’ve not yet had any coffee, so maybe that’s why.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I’m still confused, but I’ve not yet had any coffee, so maybe that’s why.

He took the review from the 52 games thread and at that point he wrote out his Top 5 so far, which had Tunic. As he copy-pasted the review, that remains there. But it's not actually no.5 anymore.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Ah, fair enough.
  • Ok I get it.

Classic Moot.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Ah, fair enough.

Yeah, took me a few tried to get what had happened. 

Also, enjoy your coffee.
  • Yep. Morning coffee FTW. Enjoying mine currently.
  • 247.gif
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Olli Olli World...I knew I'd like this, it was just a question of how much.  Turns out it's definitely my GotY so far, elbowing Infernax, SIFU and Tunic aside without breaking sweat.
  • Always thinking about lists, see.  I love a good list thread.

I'm glad we have one now.
  • Will likely tweak, change order and expand on this later (maybe), but my GotY list so far is...

The Top 5:
    1. Pentiment
    2. Ctrl Alt Ego
    3. Rhythm Doctor (it's in early access, so picking a release year for this one is weird)
    4. Roadwarden
    5. Rogue Legacy 2

The Nearly Made Its:
    6. Bloodborne PSX
    7. Norco
    8. Elden Ring
    9. Circadian Dice
    10. Citizen Sleeper
  • Muzzy4life
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • God of war ragnarock.
    Stray
    Elden ring
    The artful escape

Il probably add another later maybe mass effect legendary or something like that.
  • ME Legendary was last year.  You can vote for it in Muzzy's thread though...
  • The Artful Escape was last year too.  Unless you played it on Playstation?
  • Davie definitely played it on PlayStation.
  • Stray was this year, but it was published by Annapurna.
  • I haven't thought too much about this yet, but disco elysium will definitely be in my list.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Vela wrote:
    I haven't thought too much about this yet, but disco elysium will definitely be in my list.

Final Cut was a 2021 title - unless you're referring specifically to the Spike-Chunsoft published Japanese version, which of course you are.
  • Davie definitely played it on PlayStation.

Ah right.  It was Day One GP iirc.
  • Someone please tell me Slay the Spire was released on something for first time this year...

Steam Deck, that's a new console, right?  I just so happen to have a Steam Deck right here and playing StS so that gets my vote.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    1. Elden Ring
    2. Elden Ring
    3. Elden Ring.
    4. Pentiment.
    5. Dwarf Fortress.
  • Vela wrote:
    I haven't thought too much about this yet, but disco elysium will definitely be in my list.

Final Cut was a 2021 title -

The fuck does Cuno care. :D

Nah but in all seriousness it was the Switch version of final cut which came out here in Feb this year after a ban was overturned for drug use in the game.
‹ Previous1234

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!