Rally game
  • I honestly have some trouble understanding why people play driving games that arent Dirt Rally 2. I love how brutally unforgiving it is, and how much focus it demands. It’s just so intense; you can’t even relax on a straight, and the handling is sublime. Plus bonus points for how inoffensive all the trimmings are, with the refreshingly neutral presentation.

I’m mad excited to see what Codie’s do with it next, having got the WRC license and had decent amount of time for improvements since the last installment. I will be devastated if EA direct them to balls it all up. I would be pretty happy if their influence just extended to micro transactions tbh
  • I think EA will give it a fair push. They've had a "EA Rally" twitter that posts updates during WRC events irl, and esport Colin McRae Rally stuff, for a good while now. Looking forward to what they bring out. Hopefully it's more like the early-2000s Evolution Studios ones than the more recent ones.
  • I need to do 2 a bit more. Hammered the first one.

Agree all round noxy. Even though I do also play forza.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I've always like Rally games the most in terms of driving, you spend more time on the ragged edge of nearly crashing. Very exciting.

For driving with the interior view I strongly recommend running any rally game at 90FPS plus if you have the hardware to do it, like some stages in DR 2.0 can be so incredibly bumpy and if you were only on 60Hz it would be a nauseating mess honestly.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Dirt Rally is maybe my favourite driving game. Totall intensity and focus at every moment, souls rally. I didn't know EA were involved in part 3 but I'd be surprised if they didn't water it down to attract in more people.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'd love to have the hardware to check Dirt Rally out in VR. Might be instant sickness, mind you.
  • Both DR 1 and 2 have head tracking support, which isn't massively useful when you're mostly just looking ahead but it's still nice ot have.
  • OG Colin Dirt on the 360 is my pinaccle, followed by any of the Evolution PS2 ones, then Rallisport 2.

The souls Dirt ones were just a little too far towards Sim for me. Didn't have the time or inclination to stick at them.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’ve not played Dirt Rally, but the rallying in Forza Horizon 4 specifically is my absolute favourite racing in any game ever.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I just still love a bit of Sega Rally.  I'd love that handling on some new tracks. Would be more than enough for me. Still play it on Saturn which is a work of necromancy but also play the original using Model 2 emulation. :)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I’ve not played Dirt Rally, but the rallying in Forza Horizon 4 specifically is my absolute favourite racing in any game ever.

FH is so far removed from Dirt Rally. It's called the Dark Souls racing game for a very good reason. Did you try Dirt 5? The one that launched with the X? Very, very good tracks on that Yoss. Should be GP now?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I haven’t tried it. I may do one day.
  • If you can’t download tunes to win Yoss probably won’t t like it ;)
    The Forum Herald™
  • Dirt Rally almost made me buy a steering wheel and pedals. Maybe when I eventually upgrade my PC...
    I win... in the most minor way possible.
  • Kow wrote:
    I didn't know EA were involved in part 3 but I'd be surprised if they didn't water it down to attract in more people.

that's what i'm worried about, that they'll broaden the appeal,  throw in some trendy licensed tunes, make it way more forgiving. It won't take off as they'd hoped, and then a couple years down the line once their WRC licensing thing expires we'll  have no further dedicated rally games from them at all. 

if it was up to me they'd turn the career mode into some sort  of racing-sim rogue-like, where one at speed crash or tumble can result in driver death and game over. this is almost how the daily/weekly/monthly challenges operate already, although at present it's a bit more forgiving . 

Yossarian wrote:

ouch

Dirt 5

I couldn't get past the boxart.
  • racing-sim rogue-like

I've thought before that something like that would make a ton of sense, I wish more AAA devs would catch on to the roguelike thing. Could be great in a flight sim too.
  • When anyone says Souls games are hard, I tell them to play modern rally games.

They're more like SHMUPs now. Just need to memorise them and grind them out until you can do a full stage clean.
  • I enjoyed Colin McRae 2005 the most, particularly the Greece stages.
  • There isn’t a single route, or even a single portion of a single route, that I know well enough to anticipate the upcoming twists and turns, and I’ve been playing almost daily for a couple of months now. Normally I scroll through what’s on offer in the daily/weekly/monthly challenges, and have a go at anything on offer for one of my preferred classes. Whatever the challenge, you only get one chance at it. There are no restarts. For the monthly challenges you can lose hours of progress on a single turn if you forget this.

For me Dirt Rally is best when you’re forced to make not wrecking yourself the priority; you need to still be there on the last stage. It’s not about winning- you will never win one of the online challenges (I consider it a good stage when I’m finishing a minute behind the leader)- it’s about restraint, and only easing off on it selectively and incrementally. More gameplay hours = better judgement for making those calls.

I think I got a fair bit better in recent weeks. Turning all the assists off and switching manual gears helped a lot, but was a step back at first. I also finally stopped treating the accelerator as a binary switch, and now my use of it is much more controlled, as it might be in Trials, for example.

If I ever have a meaningful income I will absolutely be saving for a higher end simrig setup just to play this

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!