The BnB Thread of Fly-fishers and hardy Se(a)men
  • Something Fishy is going on round 'ere, it's a place where we can go to be alone and sit besides the water with our rod in our hands, casting our tackle into the wet for a hope of getting something to have a little taste.

Yep, I'm talking fishing!

So let's discuss that most social of all the hobbies.
    Do you fish? If so where, for what, and how?

Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • As some of you may know I've been looking for a new hobby recently, something that's a little more relaxing than punching people and something that can allow me to be on my own, enjoying the peace and tranquility of nature.

I feel that this is something that can be both fun and beneficial for my mental health.

My uncle donated his old rod, reel and tackle (no sniggering at the back) and I'm gonna pick up a landing net and comfy fishing chair tomorrow.

I'm off work for a week and live next to some beautiful fishing lakes so going to get my licence sorted and then try a day by the water.

I've found some very helpful tutorial videos on YouTube and been practicing tying floats and hooks.

I'm really excited!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Am also looking to take up fishing. Will probably pick everything up after I move back to Hainan (likely December time).

If you know any good videos / channels for beginner fishers, would love to see them.
  • I'm into fly fishing although will happily throw a line in for anything interesting.  It is a more energy intensive form of fishing as you are constantly doing something.

I haven't really been out much since covid and my favourite fishery didn't make it through the dark times.

Every couple of years I go on a fishing holiday to somewhere that makes booze and has fish to catch.  I've been to Scotland, Ireland twice, Kentucky, and Oregon.  Next year I'm off to New Zealand and Norway is in the planning stage.

What lakes Wookie?
  • Pseudoscot wrote:
    I'm into fly fishing although will happily throw a line in for anything interesting.  It is a more energy intensive form of fishing as you are constantly doing something.

I haven't really been out much since covid and my favourite fishery didn't make it through the dark times.

Every couple of years I go on a fishing holiday to somewhere that makes booze and has fish to catch.  I've been to Scotland, Ireland twice, Kentucky, and Oregon.  Next year I'm off to New Zealand and Norway is in the planning stage.

What lakes Wookie?

Oooh, a holiday with fishing and booze. Lovely.

Henlow Lakes in Bedfordshire is my local lakes. Just round the corner within walking distance.
  • Am also looking to take up fishing. Will probably pick everything up after I move back to Hainan (likely December time).

If you know any good videos / channels for beginner fishers, would love to see them.

This is the one that I've been using to learn, this channel was recommended to me by a (fishermans) friend.
  • Here's where Scot goes "no way! That's my local too!"
  • I used to enjoy eel fishing but I haven't been for years.  Love the idea of fishing and it's a hobby I've always fancied (a couple of my mates are big into it atm), but it's not an ideal pastime for someone trying to avoid smoking.  I can stay off the cigs 98% of the time unless I'm out for a drink, but I reckon I'd struggle while fishing.
  • Sadly not.  I'm in Liverpool and did the majority of my fishing at Stocks Reservoir in Lancashire (RIP).  I also fish Esthwaite in the lake district which is an interesting mixed fishery with coarse fish as well as trout.  They have some massive pike in there as well.

I'm looking at a couple of places in North Wales for next season.  I'm sort of restricted in that I really prefer to fish from a boat than the bank.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Fish murderers!
  • I've spent all afternoon watching tutorials online, found a local fishing store in the village, bought my licence and booked in for a day at a local lake on Saturday.

I'm so excited. My wife even said she would pack me some sandwiches. Lol
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Fish butties.
  • Some tips for your first trip:

Good waterproofs.
    Take a flask of something hot ideally quite sugary.
    Practice your blood knot
    When you've tied the knot, give the line a tug to make sure it is holding.  It is better to double check than lose a fish.
    Wet the knot with spit before you pull it tight.
    Wet your hands before handling a fish.
  • Thanks Scot.
    I have got some pre-tied hooks to attach to my line, one strength level lower than my main line so if the line snaps, it snaps there and I only lose the hook and not my main line with float.
    Going to my local angling store today to pick up a net and some shot
  • My first day out on the lakes.
    It's so lovely and peaceful here, tonnes of fish swimming round my swim but not a bite yet.

They're taunting me, the little bastards
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Fish murderers!

I went fishing with my family when I was young. The trauma of removing a hook from a fish that up until I came along was minding its own business was enough for me to never want anything to do with it ever again.
    Get schwifty.
  • This is so peaceful. Nobody has said a word to me in hours.
  • Maybe they can’t hear you. Start shouting Wookie!
  • Heh.

Still no bites but I really don't care. It's just so nice being out here by myself
  • I would also like pics.
  • Sounds amazing
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • I'll try and upload some when I get back, signal here is very weak
  • IMG-20221029-132454.jpg
  • Oh there we go, that worked.

Unfortunately had to cut the day short as my kids had a party to go to and we only have the one car so my wife had to drop me off this morning and pick me up after the kids finished.

Still, a good 5 hours by the lake on my own in lovely sunny conditions.

Today I tied my first rig with overhand loop knots, learned how to use a plum to find the depth, learned how to do a sideways cast and had lots of fun doing so.

I didn't get a single bite but that's ok because I feel like I got so much out of my first ever time fishing.

I'll be back next week!
  • Heh. Still no bites but I really don't care. It's just so nice being out here by myself

Awesome.  That's the point of it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!