Forgiven or Not Forgotten?
  • There have been two very large fuckups by MS and Sony this gen. Namely RROD and the PSN hacking.

Considering the uproar from gamers and that both situations made global headlines my question is will these events or issues impact your decision when choosing between the PS4 and the 720 next gen as it approaches next year?*.

*i presume both will be released next year.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    No.  I'll buy both tyvm.
    Get schwifty.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    What Mr Raiziel said.
  • I can never afford to buy launch hardware anyway.
    But I'm deffo gonna be keeping an eye on the reliability reports for Microsoft's next console before buying one.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I think both mistakes were the kind you only make once. I wouldn't say either moved my opinion of the company far from where it was before.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    djchump wrote:
    I can never afford to buy launch hardware anyway. But I'm deffo gonna be keeping an eye on the reliability reports for Microsoft's next console before buying one.

Their console after the original Xbox was the Slim, which was two years ago. Touch wood mine hasn't waivered and I haven't heard of any others either.
  • I'll buy both. I'm more disinclined to buy the WiiU actually, after how little the Wii got used.
  • I'll still look at them both.  

The PSN fuck up isn't really the kind of thing you can watch out for.  It pretty much just happens.  I would maybe stick to pre-paid cards though.

As for MS, I wouldn't be buying any new consoles day one anyway so I should get plenty of warning if it turns out they've been built by monkeys again.  The new slims seem fine though don't they?  Haven't heard of any problems.

TBH neither of the issues has much bearing on what I'll buy next gen.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    I can never afford to buy launch hardware anyway. But I'm deffo gonna be keeping an eye on the reliability reports for Microsoft's next console before buying one.
    Their console after the original Xbox was the Slim, which was two years ago. Touch wood mine hasn't waivered and I haven't heard of any others either.
    True - and after the bad PR and cost of fixing RROD (which, credit to MS, I've had done for free a fair time after I'd bought the thing) I'd hope their hardware design dept. are more experienced and more careful next gen.

Problem is, AFAIK refining existing hardware with known issues that came out in the wash is easier than designing a new hardware platform (with increased need for GPU/CPU cooling etc.), so I'm still wary of new MS hardware. Moot point anyway cos I can never afford launch consoles and never buy until at least one price drop and there's enough games out on the thing that I want to play.

As to which console I'll buy next gen - pretty sure it'll be the nextbox, cos of various reason, but I switched from PS2 to Xbox360, so I don't rule out switching again.
  • I'll buy both. At some point. It's the games that'll sway me, not the hardware or customer service etc. If the RROD shit rears its ugly head again, I'm counting on being treated as I was this gen - having a free repair or new one sent to me.

And I will always be taking out 3 years of warranty even at extra cost. RROD hasn't changed my stance on who to go with, but stance on being more careful myself with the more complex machinery on offer.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I've had 2 Xboxes so far and it's still a better gaming experience than a PS3. Next gen, I don't think I'm going to bother with anything at all.
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • It's beginning to feel like they're actually hoping people forget, that's why this generation is going on so long.

The wait and see approach makes sense, but I'm beginning to think I'll be that desperate for something ambitious that I'll buy whatever one comes out first on day one. Live is realistically still going to be the big difference, people will still dislike paying £30 annually to play on-line and not much else, but that friends list holds everyone together like glue.
  • RROD doesn't worry me at all and I would have no issues getting a new MS console on Day 1.

I'm not that fussed about a new Sony console as my PS3 is my secondary one anyway. But I don't hold the clusterfuck of the stolen accounts against them really.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    This generation was the first one I was working and earning an income, so I ended up buying all three consoles instead of just one. I think the thing that'll affect my buying decisions next time, more than RROD or the PSN hack, is just the feeling that I've never gotten great value for money out of buying both the 360 and the PS3. I'll probably get either the Microsoft or Sony console next time, not both.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Wait and see which is the most successful/acclaimed/reliable probably. Might not get any as long as I've got a decent PC.
  • I think that a Plus style subscription to Live would work better for MS next gen. I know they get balls deep revenue from Live but you really do get barely anything beyond the friends.

Heck, make it three tiers if you must - silver for free folk, Gold for folk who want to use the current setup of live (at a reduced price) and Platinum so you get a few bonuses, as long as the core social experience doesn't change. I really hope they don't change that, whatever they do.
  • I never experience RRoD (or YLoD for that matter) and the PSN incident prompted me to change my easily decipherable password everywhere.  All told, the two big fuck ups caused me no harm whatsoever.

If both companies extend their current console experiences to the next gen, though, I will stick to my guns this time and go the Sony road for my primary console, and I'll decide about Microsoft once I see what exclusive titles are coming.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    I think that a Plus style subscription to Live would work better for MS next gen. I know they get balls deep revenue from Live but you really do get barely anything beyond the friends. Heck, make it three tiers if you must - silver for free folk, Gold for folk who want to use the current setup of live (at a reduced price) and Platinum so you get a few bonuses, as long as the core social experience doesn't change. I really hope they don't change that, whatever they do.

Live does have Deals of the Week though, which I guess is vaguely similar to the Plus discounts. It's not as though they can offer things along the line of free PSone games because they don't have that kind of history.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I got Fable 2 free from Microsoft so that's a good thing, even if it is utterly shit.
  • I think MS handled their RRoD issue (a three year warranty, and free replacement/repair) better than Sony did with the PSN hack (not telling anybody for weeks).

Neither would stop me buying a console from either company again though.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Didn't MS not acknowledge there was an issue at first though?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    For me the Xbox will be the console of choice but I am happy to buy a PS4 for the exclusives, exactly the same as this gen then, a Nintendo that will only get used near launch, a PS3 that only gets used once in a while and a 360 that gets hammered...
  • Did anyone have any negative effects that can actually be traced back to the PSN hack? It was a dick around but I would hope they have learnt from it, although Im not convinced any system is un-hackable.

Had RROD, I wouldnt worry about that exact problem again as it was a design fault with the 360 itself. Im not entirely convinced MS can make an error free system right off the cuff. However it's not enough of a concern that it would put me off.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    I think that a Plus style subscription to Live would work better for MS next gen. I know they get balls deep revenue from Live but you really do get barely anything beyond the friends. Heck, make it three tiers if you must - silver for free folk, Gold for folk who want to use the current setup of live (at a reduced price) and Platinum so you get a few bonuses, as long as the core social experience doesn't change. I really hope they don't change that, whatever they do.

There's been talk of a Platinum level before now. Who knows, when NextBox rolls out and the value of the Games on Demand titles drops dramatically they might introduce a Netflix type service for them.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    I may have to get a PS4 because it doesn't look like The Last Guardian is coming out on PS3.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    The only thing i'm thankful for in having a PS3 is the blu-ray functionality. I've watched more films on it than played games that's for sure.
    I've had 2 Xboxes so far and it's still a better gaming experience than a PS3. Next gen, I don't think I'm going to bother with anything at all.

My opinion as well essentially. I started off the gen with a 360 Elite and traded it in for a PS3 when MGS 4 came out. That left a bad taste in my mouth and for some reason i've stuck with it ever since. There's been a few things i'm fond of like Journey, Flower, Demon's Souls and God of War but i'd rather go back to the improved online functionality and social features Live offers. And I just love the noise the slim 360 makes when the tray opens.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I may have to get a PS4 because it doesn't look like The Last Guardian is coming out on PS3.
    Going off how much I enjoyed Ico this will probably be shit as well so I couldn't care less if it never gets released!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!