CryEngine, Unity, Unreal and other engines.
‹ Previous12
  • Yes CryEngine, horrendously named but arguably the best licensable engine for 1st person action games.  Until Unreal 4 comes along which seems to take a lot of queues from CryEngine anyway, and they both try and 1up each other again.

Is anyone using this on a moderately spec'd machine to make something?  I just tried using it on a XP partition of my core 2 duo 2.33ghz MBP, and it was pointless.  I'm guessing that's due to the shonky 256mb graphics card apple put it in this 4 years ago when I bought it.

I'm considering the cheapest way to get this running, either sell my MBP and get a newer one with a snazzy graphics card which will cost me loads.  Or get a shitty Dell which I really don't want or have room for but is probably the only way.

By the looks of it, out of the box CryEngine has by far the best audio engine (full use of fmod) and the simplest terrain, ai and mission building tools.  Unity is also very simple to use but perhaps not as powerful and has limited fmod features integrated.  Unreal would require a coder to do the fmod/wwise audio integration as it's built in audio stuff is not up to scratch.

Can anyone share their experiences with CryEngine/Unity and share the spec machines they have?  This is purely for me to mess about with the tools at home and see what they can do.
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • I can't help but im interested in seeing what you can do...
    Bumped
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Yes CryEngine, horrendously named but arguably the best licensable engine for 1st person action games. 

I've liked the stuff I've seen using it. Even if that is really only Far Cries and Crysis, but if it is arguably the best, why does it seem far less ubiquitous than Unreal?

That's a question out of curiosity rather than snark, btw. Like I said, I can only think of a couple of games that use it, and one them is Crysis, whereas I can think of dozens that use unreal.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Maybe it's cheaper or easier to code? It seems even lower tier games use Unreal so it must be something in it.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I'm considering the cheapest way to get this running, either sell my MBP and get a newer one with a snazzy graphics card which will cost me loads.  Or get a shitty Dell which I really don't want or have room for but is probably the only way.
    ...or build your own so you can spend the money on the bits that are important.
  • I'll look into making my own machine then, definitely preferable to getting a dell!

I think there's a bunch of reasons Unreal is more commonly used, although if you look at the list of Cryengine titles it's bigger than I expected.

I'm on a train so I can't check, but i think Unreal runs on more platforms, including mobiles. Unreal has a longer history and a more established name.

Crucially many, many people got into games making Unreal mods and have done so for a very long time, Cryengine is less commonly used for mods hence less people enter the industry with Cryengine experience. Unreal had a better price structure for small teams sooner than Cryengine. Unreal is more adaptable to games other than FPS.

Without checking I could be mistaken about some of those but that's my feeling.

From what I've seen, it looks like I'd be able to get a credible prototype FPS of some sort up and running far more quickly in Cryengine than Unreal, so I'm interested in having a mess about. More as a learning process than anything else.

Just a shame my MBP dropped to about 3 fps as soon as I generated the basic world terrain ahaha.
  • My rationale for using Unity is that it's very fast for one, or a small team to get something done, it by far lends itself more to games that arent fps, its far more flexible in regards to target platform (As just about anything you do can feasibly and easily be built for pc, mac, android, ios an even flash now) and probably, far most importantly is the simple issue of licensing.

Cryengine and UDK will cost you, eventually, hundreds of times more than what Unity cost you (A flat fee of £1500 or so), licensing wise, if you make anything remotely successful, and its almost possible to have a successful game that made you absolutely nothing if you had a team you had to pay a salary to

I suppose finally it boils a little down to 3rd party and community support too, in which udk has by far the greater, but kind of zoned into fps games, no idea about cryengine and unity having masive or hobbyist support especially in the case of its asset store, where prefabbed code packages to do realtime mesh deformation/breaking, fluid physics, ragdoll creation and so on can be rad for very reasonable money

Of the 3 ive talked of, in a perfect world i'd be using cryengine cause its just darn exciting, the technology is very exciting indeed, but as someone who needs flexibility and at least a vague prospect of making money, unity seems to be the most sensible direction, for me
  • I've run through some of the Unity tutorials and it is a totally different take on making games than Unreal and Cryengine, I really liked it.  I use Unreal at work and there is no way I would attempt to do a prototype without code support.  Not even a mod.  However Unity and Cryengine I feel I could.

You sound like you're enjoying unity Cuckoo, are you happy with it so far?  And what machine (gfx card/cpu/ram) are you running it on?

The fee for Unity does start to mount up when you do those other formats, just as it does for other engines.

if you go for the 'Pro' version the entry fee is -

Unity Pro $1500
    Add Android for $1500
    Add iOS for $1500
    Add team functionality (version control) for $500.
    They don't list console prices.  An old post on their forum quotes "XBox and PS3 pricing is set at $80K per XBox or PS3 title, and $40K per XBLA or PSN title. > Unity XBox should become available in late 2010 and PS3 early next year."

Which sounds about right, licensing Unreal for consoles is much more expensive.

UDK however is pretty reasonable if you're not going for consoles, Cryengine too.

Example from UDK FAQ "A team creates a game with UDK that they intend to sell. After six months of development, they release the game through digital distribution and they earn US$60,000 in the first calendar quarter after release. Their use of UDK during development requires no fee. At some point prior to the UDK Application’s release they will need to secure a royalty-bearing commercial UDK license with its US$99 license fee.  After earning US$60,000, they would be required to pay Epic US$2,500 (US$0 on the first US$50,000 in revenue, and US$2,500 on the next US$10,000 in revenue). On subsequent revenue, they are required to pay the 25% royalty. "

Crytek do a %20 royalties license for indie games not on consoles.

But anyway, that's not what we're interesting in, THIS is what we're interested in!!!

http://youtu.be/butBqfE_lnY?hd=1&t=49s
    This vid shows someone creating a new map and putting some basic terrain in. 

Now that is fast!  His grasp of English might not be wonderful but i've watched a bunch of his videos and it's amazing how quickly he has things going.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I've noticed on the console version of CryEngine it tends to tear which for all its other faults Unreal doesn't.

Anyway, carry on.
  • Totally depends on what you are doing with it, screen tearing is not inherently an issue with one engine or another.  I've seen Unreal games with tearing too.  Some during the gameplay and not cutscenes and vice versa.  So it really depends on how people choose/are forced/just happen to set up their game to playback.  Not to say that one engine is perfect or another is poor, it's just what you do with it.
  • Screen tearing can be a lot to do with v-sync which bis a very costly option, and hence sometimes not an option

Billy i'd have to say i'm ecxtatically happy with unity so far, udk is a monster and its so incredibly powerful but such a... hulk

Not touched cryengine and if its got a flow like sandbox 1 it should be supr cool to work with, again very powerful, both udk and cryengine knock spots off unity's terrain tools. The thing with Unity is that you can really do a lot with it, a surprisingly massive amount, so i just cant knock it as a one mn team, and youre right about the costs of the pro licenses but theyre still a fraction of what epic or crytek will take from you, given success

So i can only really recommend Unity for myself, rather attached to it!

oh, running single gtx470, i7 950 and 6gb ram, i have to bear phones in mind though so you def dont need a monster in my case
  • Thanks Cuckoo, glad you're enjoying it :)

I managed to get a small amount of stuff built in cryengine last night by keeping textures at a really low res and turning everything unnecessary off.  Still not really workable though!
  • I think you could have issues with cryengine on a low spec machine (And all of its really impressive stuff needs some serious grunt) - what are you using?
  • XP partition of a core 2 duo 2.33ghz MBP, 256mb graphics.

Not really a surprise it isn't working out, it is about 5 years old!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm another Unity fan, at least for easy of prototyping / actually getting stuff done.  (Just starting my second project - go me!)  Haven't yet got it onto a phone - need someone to lend me an android (!) - but that's definitely a pro, and the money side is obviously appealing though I won't be getting any cash any time too soon.

I'm kind of curious to try CryEngine myself, as it's obviously funky stuff.  I may do at some stage, but focussing on smaller / non-FPS projects at the mo, so don't really have the time to muck about as much as I'd like.

Unity stuff I've gone has all been pretty smooth, but nothing very high-flying.  I'm a bit confused about my PC spec though - windows is listing 8 2.8GHz cores, and I really didn't think I had that many!  I thought maybe two, it may be splitting them in four for some reason.  Intel i7.  Can't tell you anything useful about CryEngine performance yet though I'm afraid!
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    I'm another Unity fan, at least for easy of prototyping / actually getting stuff done.  (Just starting my second project - go me!)  Haven't yet got it onto a phone - need someone to lend me an android (!) - but that's definitely a pro, and the money side is obviously appealing though I won't be getting any cash any time too soon. I'm kind of curious to try CryEngine myself, as it's obviously funky stuff.  I may do at some stage, but focussing on smaller / non-FPS projects at the mo, so don't really have the time to muck about as much as I'd like. Unity stuff I've gone has all been pretty smooth, but nothing very high-flying.  I'm a bit confused about my PC spec though - windows is listing 8 2.8GHz cores, and I really didn't think I had that many!  I thought maybe two, it may be splitting them in four for some reason.  Intel i7.  Can't tell you anything useful about CryEngine performance yet though I'm afraid!

Billy that comp would be perfectly fine for most average Unity projects, especially if you're aiming towards a recent smartphone sort of specification, but even for anything pc,its really quite capable

muzzy i'm surprised you've spent so much on a computer and are quite together with your game making but don't know much regarding the i7 aha, the i7 has 4 physical cores but due to fancy technology called hyperthreading each core can maintain 2 threads efficiently - so it's a bit like having a machine with 8 cores, ta dA

I'll also go along with muzzys statement about actually getting things done with unity, for a solo or small team you can get something up and running very very quickly
  • I'd love to have an i7 or something at home.  At work I've got a monster with 12 gigs of ram but there's no way I'll afford anything like that for myself for a while.

I've just redownloaded Unity to pop it on my laptop and have another play about with it :)
  • Billy, if you take to Unity remotely, have a look in the asset store (Windows menu) and see if there's any boxes of tricks that take your fancy, also the asset store subforum of the unity forums

The asset store is a huge strength of Unity and theres some such great stuff there thats too specific to be integrated into an engine by its developers (Mesh deformation, Fluid dynamics, so on) but still super cool. I can prob help out also if contacted in private
  • Cheers chap!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    LazyGunn wrote:
    muzzy i'm surprised you've spent so much on a computer and are quite together with your game making but don't know much regarding the i7 aha, the i7 has 4 physical cores but due to fancy technology called hyperthreading each core can maintain 2 threads efficiently - so it's a bit like having a machine with 8 cores, ta dA

Cunning.  Yes, the programming I do at work is not for "PCs", we have our own bespoke hardware shizzle knocking about, some I'm pretty clueless about the ins and outs of the various processor types.  I think my PC purchase was predominantly based on 7 being a higher number than 5 or 3!!  Hyperthreading seems kind of interesting, but I guess the four cores is full of win!

Back on CryEngine - had a quick skim of http://www.worldofleveldesign.com/categories/cat_cryengine_3_sdk.php as I was pondering downloading tonight - how easy is it to do non-FPS stuff, or is it very much focussed on that?  How different a model is it to Unity?  Are there e.g. scripts / character controllers / what not, or is it a completely different paradigm? 

Aha, http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10197076/udk-march-2012-vs-cryengine-3-for-a-job-in-the-future has some stuff.  Lua in CryEngine?  Hmm.  Has to be about the only language I've never used before - oh well, no harm adding it to the list!
  • I can't see lua being a problem, from what ive seen, if you can any most other languages in modern use
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I've decided I don't like CryEngine.  Going back to Unity forthwith.  I want cubes not terrain maps thank you.
  • Thats enthusing! I'll have something you guys can play soon i'll wager,see you there muzzy!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Do we know what you're working on? Or I'd it a big surprise? DragonnyThing 2.0?
  • I havent said much about it but imo its going to be a fun idea, its a game for angry people to smash stuff up in, i should be able to show more soon
  • I followed some tutorials and got a basic FPS camera/movement setup with mouselook.  Started doing some tutorials on weapon raycasting, but really I would prefer to get this stuff as tweakable prefabs.

Can you guys recommend any competent FPS prefabs?  I would like to have just the basics in place which I can tweak, so I can concentrate on creating stuff.
  • I am going to be working with Unity over the coming months as part of a work project. Completely new to it, but the aim is to turnaround some kind of workable web or mobile game for December. Is this a realistic timescale? We're not talking Dark Souls, but I'm going from tutorial to end product here. I'm hoping I can translate some of my traditional games design experience and love of videogames into something that might be an area of interest for me.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Suspect that's plenty of time for learning and coding - the bigger constraint will be content (and ideas/tuning) for which timescales will be as per what your used to, except prototyping etc being quicker
  • My marble game was me going from not knowing a fecking thing, more or less, to reasonably polished thang in 5 months, definitely doable! And you can always ask for a hand. In fact anyone who wants any help on any issue is welcome to add me to skype (lazygunn)

Webbo, the speed of your development will be increased dramatically by recognising what you wish to do and purchasing or acquiring premade 3rd party scripts and prefabs to provide functionality that could take months to do in itself, its another thing i can probably provide help with

Billy i'll look up some fps prefabs in a bit and get back to you, but def have a look at the asset store and see what feedback some of the products on there are getting
  • Cheers guys, I shall let you know how I get on. I have grand ambitions of what I want to do, but I can see it being rather what time will allow.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I'd love to be able to make a game but I know I haven't got the time or talent to produce something I'd like, hell there are games out there that have had hundreds of people and millions of pounds thrown at them that I think are shit.

I'm still waiting for the perfect zombie game, a mmo/Skyrim/GTA mash-up would be the fucking tits!
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!