Steel Battalion: Heavy Armo[u]r
  • original.jpg

So has anyone played the demo? 

I quite like it. Not totally sure the kinect bits add more than a press of a button on the joypad, but it is different and is a nice change to see a hardcore kinect game. Reckon I stick in a pre-order. Comes out 19th June I think.
  • Can you play it sans kinect?
  • Balls to this then
  • Yes, balls to this then.
  • I don't know if my kinect's a bit dusty or something, but it essentially didn't work for me. 

And even if it did, what's the point? It doesn't feel any more like driving a tank if it did.

Would way prefer one of these babies...

03-05_SteelBattalionController.jpg
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • Demo worked ok for me, but only did the tutorial so not tried in heat of battle. Agree that the proper controls would be better, but that was never going to happen was it?!
  • JRPC wrote:
    I don't know if my kinect's a bit dusty or something, but it essentially didn't work for me.  And even if it did, what's the point? It doesn't feel any more like driving a tank if it did. Would way prefer one of these babies... 03-05_SteelBattalionController.jpg

Ah I wanted that so bad! Read about it in the official Xbox magazine back in the day. I think I even dreamt that I had it.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Fucking beautiful bit of kit that. How much was it again? I'm sure a few from here had it. Jealous as fuck.
  • Dunno the cost, but I remember reading with much delight that it had a start up sequence.

Awesome.
  • I have it then I bought the online only Line of Contact and they took the servers down the next day. Yes, I know. Anyway, it takes pride of place on top of my wardrobe.
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • Getting pounded by reviewers - the Edge 6 was higher than most

And I found it on my door mat tonight having forgot about my pre order. Oooops.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    The demo seemed like it might be reasonable, guess not.

Saying that, I do reckon there might be some entertainment in it if you go in with the right expectations.
  • I enjoyed the demo, so I've discounted the reviews saying the controls are outright broken. And the stompy tank angle really appeals. We shall see.
  • I was really excited for this but the demo put me right off. I loved all the immersive POV style of gameplay but found the Kinect controls lacking in accuracy causing quite a few moments of frustration when I tried to pull the scope down I kept pulling levers or dragging myself to the view port etc.

So for that I'm out.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Possible Kinect buy scuppered.
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • Can you not control it using Kinect? Maybe its OK played traditionally.
  • Nope, Kinect has to be used. It's designed into the game from even the first actions. Shame
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I was dead excited about the possibilities of this, but it seems to be getting some middling to poor reviews, so bugger this for a bunch of soldiers. IGN gave it a three, if I remember correctly, and they're super generous at times.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I REALLY wanted to like this, I really did. While the use of Kinect is cleverly implemented and rather ambitious at times I'm just shocked at how poorly it actually works. How did this get past the testing stage?!
  • So, er, yeah, it's a bit crap.

Thing is, the kinect picks me up fine - you can easily see my arms waving about, but the game just doesn't want to follow them with the overlay it shows on top of the kinect picture. Very frustrating. Just starting the VT up can be a pain in the arse.

Having said that, when it gets going and works (or you're doing a bit that doesn't need kinect integration; much of the movement/firing falls under this definition thankfully) it is ok. Not brilliant, but ok.

I was desperate for a more hardcore kinect game, and a mech game. This, unfortunately so far, itches neither scratch.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    why is your text so small and in the wrong font
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret wrote:
    why is your text so small and in the wrong font

Cos I copied and pasted it from another forum I think. Sorted now.

(another forum I posted on, this is my thought on the game)
  • I feel a bit sorry for kinect - people will use this game to slag it off, but it isn't the technology's fault from what I can see. It is purely a poorly made game.

Bad sign posting; cut scenes that are as if they're being played in the wrong order; terrible mission design. These are all part of gaming 101, and nothing to do with kinect.

Such a shame.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!