How does your garden grow?
  • Also, the rug really ties the room together.
  • Yeah I was very dubious about it for a long time but my mate convinced me when I saw his. It's come a long way in the last few years. Mine has brown bits woven in and bird shit and everything.

My old man has fake grass too. There's a fun build up of static electricity when you walk around on it

Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Does anyone know anything about growing nasturtium seeds? I planted early summer last year, and my nasturtiums are having the pea like seeds now. Would like to plant them to get them going this summer. I just picked some of the ones that fell off and put them in the ground, but now I'm looking online and some people wait till the seeds are browned? Should I do anything with them or can I just keep putting the ones that fall off in the ground and at some point hopefully a few will sprout? 
    Most people seem to grab the seeds at the end of fall and have them dry during winter, but I think I can keep mine going all year round.

I also assume the seedlings won't look like grass? I have a few things sprouting at places where I might have had a seed in the ground, but it looks more like grass. I'm a bit confused as I never get weeds that look like that. Maybe that's what the neighbour's cat is doing...

Currently at the point where it's making me stressed out again. My coleus are still having holes and I can't see anything on the leaves, the azalea flowers look a bit sad (but I think I see new ones, so hopefully that's just the cycle of life of a flower), my parsley isn't picking up again after I transplanted it, and our neighbours told me yesterday that there used to be trees in that area that had to be cut down as they were toxic to the soil. Which isn't giving me much hope.

At least my sage is doing well and the lemon verbena has a lot of small leaves that are growing. I'm still undecided of what's happening to my tomatoes is good or not (some of the old leaves completely died off, but then there's still new ones coming, and I have one flower).

I did see a squirrel and butterfly today, so that was nice.
  • I think you should be fine with the seeds Nina.  The only reason to dry seeds is if you’re going to store them for a period of time - drying them stops them from going mushy and mouldy during storage.  Nasturtiums can self set too which is basically when the seeds drop into the soil themselves and new shoots start from there.  
    New shoots can look like very fine grass - even on things you wouldn’t expect so, if you can, I’d leave those and see what they turn into over the next few weeks.

Azaleas need acid rich soil - so if you don't have that then that would be the reason the don’t do so well?  Plant them in ericaceous compost (presume you’ll be able to get this from any garden centre or nursery over there?) to try get them looking healthy.

Tomatoes sound ok.  Flowers are good on fruit!

Might be best to grow the Parsley in a large tub if it keeps struggling in your soil?
  • This may be a silly question Nina but is everything getting enough water?

I grow my herbs in pots like unc says cos they don’t root deep and you don’t need a lot for cooking etc - parsley self seeds and can take over (nowhere near as bad as mints!)

I grow blueberry bushes which like azaleas like ericaceous compost for the acid so have a small separate bed for them.

When you plant out your plants do you put lots of manure on without mixing with compost / existing soil? That can burn and damage roots sometimes.

Don’t get stressed though : I’ve killed more plants and seedlings than I’ll ever grow, it’s part of the learning process and just makes it sweeter when you eat a fresh apple or tomato from your garden, or just brew a lovely mint tea!
  • What are the basics of lawn care? In east London everything is clay, but I suppose grass doesn’t have deep roots.

Do I have to aerate? Now? Should I then feed it organic lawn feed (don’t want to use weed moss killer: kids and animals), then just keep watered?

What’s the best way to aerate: just get a smallish garden fork and prod every 20/30cms or so in rows, like 5/10cms deep, or just spiked shoes?

Any value in trying to condition the soil, make it less clay-ey; if so how? Thanks!
  • Just thought posting about lawn care would be more interesting than the Chelsea - Porto game I just wasted my evening on
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    The only thing I know about grass is that the small birds really like ours. And that there's a lot of dead stuff that has grown between it, think the gardeners tried to do something about that before we moved in.

I'll have a look at the nursery to see if they have that compost, what's the best way of mixing that in now my azaleas are still getting used to their new area?
    I'll keep an eye on it for the next couple days, it did come with a lot of browned flowers, and there are new buds, so maybe it's just the old flowers being done and new ones coming in? Gonna try and take some pictures every day to compare.

I think they get enough water, we have sprinklers that are set up by the gardeners. think they do something every day around 4am, but I don't know for how long. It's still wet around 7am. For the first couple days I gave extra water at the end of the afternoon.

Soil isn't great here, if I have to believe everyone else who tries to grow things, but there are plenty of people with nice gardens (B has a drone now, so we know everything about the neighbours. (not really, we don't spy on them but I do try and see what others have going in there gardens, just most front gardens get way more sun than my shaded area)).

At least one of my basil stems that broke off during transport is growing new roots, so I have to figure out when I can plant that, and since I've pulled off most of the coleus leaves with holes, I don't see many new ones, just the smaller ones that were there. I'm sure with time there's a chance it'll get worse again, but we'll see. I bought three and planted one in a different spot, and that one doesn't seem to badly affected, so might be able to get some cuttings from that in fall.
    Don’t get stressed though : I’ve killed more plants and seedlings than I’ll ever grow, it’s part of the learning process and just makes it sweeter when you eat a fresh apple or tomato from your garden, or just brew a lovely mint tea!
    I've killed plenty already, and also have seen things come back to life that I thought were death, so I know it's all part of it. It's just that now I still remember what everything cost... And I think I bought the wrong mint. I didn't find the leaves very mint like and it did say "mojito mix" but I was too lazy to search for the regular one.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Also, last year I bought some mulch to throw on top, and it's small wooden pieces. Just so the soil doesn't dry out too much and it looks nice. Now I read yesterday that azaleas don't like cedar, and now I'm not sure anymore what kinda mulch I bought last year. Bet it was cedar.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Took some pictures on wednesday then again this morning of my azalea, don't think too much has changed yet

Left is wednesday, right is today. Does it look like I need to troubleshoot the flowers? Or is this just what happens with them?
    2daychanges.jpg
    Extra's:
    Looks like my coleus aren't gaining holes, for now. I pulled the worst ones off, so maybe they'll recover?

And I think my first new sprout definitely isn't going to be a nasturtium, despite growing right in the middle of the current ones, but the second one might turn out to be a non weed?
  • I think the azaleas are fine tbh - though I’m super conscious that your climate is so different to mine that things may be very very different over there.  I’d leave both ‘weeds’ just to see what happens for now but i quite like to let nature take its chance where it can so ymmv.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Even our particular hill we live on seems different than surroundings, temperature and humidity wise. When we drove home during summer last year with the Jeep's soft top off it was noticeably cooler in our area. I blame it on the fact that the canyon down the street is called the English Canyon. Bringing the chilly vibes to the neighbourhood.

I'm glad the azaleas seem fine, while they're not as expensive as a ps5 game, I'd like to enjoy them at least for a couple months.

Definitely gonna leave the weed things for now and see what they become, they both don't look like my regular weeds that are remnants of the previous plants I dug out, so who knows what it'll be.
  • Rabbits hanging out under our decking, while we’re in the middle of redoing it. Loads of them. Hard to photograph though, they’re fast-moving little buggers.

OnnMRnI.jpg
  • Cooper is on bunnywatch. Concentrating hard.

r5GPSoE.jpg
  • Holy crap that's a nice view. I'd love big windows like that again
  • Wow what a view, sod watching tv or playing videogames. Sit outside with a blanket, a thermos and a good book. Superb. Looks like you guys got a great property poprock, if you have any other great views from your house, do post they are appreciated.
  • The guy we bought the house from was a retired landscape architect. He’s an arsehole but a talented one.

First job this afternoon is to go sort out the asparagus in our veg tunnel. We didn’t know it was there (hadn’t planned to use the tunnel in our first year here) so it’s grown way past the point when it should be harvested.

You’re meant to harvest asparagus when it’s about six inches high … some of ours is about four feet tall now. Oops.
  • Could you offer it to your neighbours if you have too much?
  • You’ve got more than 6 inches in your veg tunnel?
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Could you offer it to your neighbours if you have too much?

No, the problem is asparagus is only good to eat when it’s young. Grown so big it’s barely edible, let alone nice.

The Daddy wrote:
    You’ve got more than 6 inches in your veg tunnel?

If that’s not a double entendre, I don’t know what is.

• This is the tunnel. And fuck me, it’s hot in here today.

Everything growing is unintentional - just plants that were left behind and have come up when we weren’t looking. Lots of asparagus back-right, and the rest is mostly strawberries. Might as well look after them now they’re here.

3x01cGD.jpg
  • Got a local produce market poprock? If you get that tunnel filled up with fruit and veg could be a nice earner on the side?
  • Too much work for this year, but wouldn’t rule it out in future.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Rabbits hanging out under our decking, while we’re in the middle of redoing it. Loads of them. Hard to photograph though, they’re fast-moving little buggers.

OnnMRnI.jpg

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that's no rabbit. It's a Giant Highlands Tail-less Rat. Be warned.
  • I’ve seen Monty Python. I know it’s the Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog.
  • Rattan furniture covers, should they be left on the furniture in this weather (this week coming and this weekend gone) or taken off ? Asking as im at work all week and the garden furniture is covered. At what temperature is it bad to leave the cover on?
  • I'm leaving all my cushions out from now on.
  • I'm thinking taking the cover for the furniture off tomorrow and leaving it off for the week ever though we are both at work. Need to get a cushion storage box as moment they are in the garage.
  • I haven't got a cover for my rattan stuff I suppose I should get one. And a cover for the parasol, and a storage box for the cushions. It adds up eh?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!