myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Will make a note to wear my old motorcycle helmet if I decide to work on the roses. It's just a shame that they're being overtaken by who knows what. (that's @Uncle)

Cat-Garden.jpg
    This just happens right after I planted the two azaleas, and was putting all my succulents in pots. I love this cat and it's "don't give a fuck" attitude. Not too long ago he dared to brush against my leg when he wandered into the garage when I was doing laundry, I think he even scared himself by showing so many emotions.

Entrance-Garden.jpg
    patio-Garden.jpg
    lizard-Garden.jpg
    I'm quite happy with it. One corner of the patio has (thai) basil and mint that doesn't look like mint at all (probably a variation). Then I have my succulent barrel. I only know one is called Dragon's Blood. The plumeria was a gift from the neighbours when we started living here. She propagated it from her own and this is the first time it has flowers. There's sage that seems to be recovering since I took it from the long stretch and put it in a pot, my lemon verbena looks dead but there's a lot of small leaves coming. 

My long stretch is the area I was allowed to use from the landlord (I don't think he even cares about the garden, wanted to take out the bigger palm tree you don't see, but is to the right of the seating area). I have two azalea's that I planted this morning, in the empty bit to the right of them I planted some nasturtium seeds that came from the flowers, then there's a lavender I'm not sure about if it will survive (it was planted in a different spot, it gets sun all morning in it's new spot, so hopefully it'll grow), rosemary, two tomato plants that I thought were dead but have some nice green leaves on them, so planted those into this sunnier spot as well, nasturtiums (I wouldn't have picked orange ones if I knew I was gonna plant more flowers a year later), scented geraniums, oregano and parsley that's on its last legs. Under the trees are my coleus and a plant that's gonna give red flowers, but I forgot what it is. The card was blown away by wind at some point.

In the first picture you can also see the roses and the other plants that randomly got there.

It kinda makes me wish we had a place we would know would be ours for a longer period. I'd definitely would attempt more vegetables (had a few last year but with that space it's hardly worth it), and I really enjoyed thinking about the flowers and choosing them. I hope the red/pink/purples will attract hummingbirds, and the azaleas seem to give flowers that are deep, which is what the hummingbirds like. Hopefully they'll provide a nice area for the lizards as well. I don't really know what they need but there's plenty running around the place all the time.

holes-Coleus.jpg
    These are the holes in the coleus leaves. Am I gonna lose those or is there still something I can do?
  • It’s hard to say with that last pic as there’s new growth coming which may replace the all the shonky ones below.  I’d see how they do over the next week or so and post more pics then.  They dont look great rn but that new stuff at the top gives me hope.
  • Love the bonus gecko on the wall in your last photo Nina. You’ve got that garden looking like a really nice place to hang out. Pots and planters are perfect for a rented place.

We’ve grown asparagus by accident. Our plan has been to ignore the big polytunnel this year and start using it next year … but when I took a look inside yesterday I found loads of almost fully grown asparagus. It’s looking a bit sad and growing wonky because it hasn’t been watered - not even once. I’m gonna try looking after it for a couple of weeks and then harvesting the lot. What could possibly go wrong?

gzD99Ic.jpg
  • That photo doesn’t really give a sense of scale. Some of them are over two feet tall already.
  • I'd quite like a gang of copper beech trees that get super dark purple.
  • I'm having a murderous time shopping for garden furniture. Everything seems to be sold out everywhere. Tried the Range and B&Q etc. The money this stuff goes for is eye watering. Any tips??
  • Not really. The market for it has gone nuts because of lockdown easing and people being allowed to meet up outdoors.

I was buying a fire pit last week and ended up spending fucking ages looking for anywhere in the UK with some in stock. Ended up having to buy from a place in South Wales.
  • I'm thinking of knocking some pallets together tbh but that shit gets heavy.
  • We had asparagus. Grew year in year out. Pluck the tips when we wanted them and then leave it alone.
  • I'm having a murderous time shopping for garden furniture. Everything seems to be sold out everywhere. Tried the Range and B&Q etc. The money this stuff goes for is eye watering. Any tips??

Try this site https://jysk.co.uk/garden. Have you got a B&M near you they have some cheap garden furniture. Last week lidi did their annual garden furniture promotion (online only) there might some stuff still left on their website.

• Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Thanks Uncle, will see how it goes the next couple days with my leaves. I would like some ground cover but nothing seems to really stick.
    I've tried to dig up some of those white flowers you see under the palm and put them all the way in the corner, behind the azalea. Just hoping to root and start spreading randomly, just like they did under the palm. 
    poprock wrote:
    Love the bonus gecko on the wall in your last photo Nina. You’ve got that garden looking like a really nice place to hang out. Pots and planters are perfect for a rented place. We’ve grown asparagus by accident. Our plan has been to ignore the big polytunnel this year and start using it next year … but when I took a look inside yesterday I found loads of almost fully grown asparagus. It’s looking a bit sad and growing wonky because it hasn’t been watered - not even once. I’m gonna try looking after it for a couple of weeks and then harvesting the lot. What could possibly go wrong?
    Thanks, we have little lizards roaming the place all the time. I'm still not tired of seeing them doing pushups. It's quite nice to have some movement in the garden the whole day. When I wake up there's often small birds eating or drinking from the grass, there's the occasional cat appearance, crows walking around (they're huge), the hummingbirds chasing each other, if I'm early enough I might see a rabbit or squirrel. I would like some more butterflies and bees, so hopefully the azalea flowers will attract some. 
    Not the little white butterflies though, was so happy to see them last year, until I realized they put small eggs on my just planted nasturtiums. I had to wipe those clean to save them.

Asparagus are nice. You should try and grow the white ones, they're the best (I think they're the same as green ones, just covered so they'll never really grow out of the ground).

@Chalice, could try thrift stores maybe, that's what we're trying for some nice outdoor chairs. Haven't had much luck yet, but might be different around yours.
  • @Chaice, these lot do nice outdoor stuff but I’m not sure what your idea of pricey is?  To me it’s mid range pricing for really decent stuff but ymmv.  Oh, the price lists I could show you guys.  9K upwards for plant pots.  3.5k per sun lounger.
  • Unc whats the website thag sells a 9k plant pot?
  • https://www.made.com/

Is the place for affordable furniture that I forgot to link so there that.

Plant pots are here

https://www.torcpots.com/
  • Mrs poprock’s getting quite good at growing stuff from seed. This is her latest batch, almost ready to move out of the house and into the greenhouse. Up until now it’s been too cold outdoors overnight. This lot is mostly for food - tomatoes, onions, peppers, beans and herbs.

YcyggMD.jpg
  • Forget the plants for a second what a lovely view from the window. Jees.
  • Yeah, it’s a nice day today. Blazing sunshine already.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Hand is about to fall off, but three hours later that's first third of the fence done.

LeIL2z4.jpg

Still more to go.

GY5efSW.jpg
  • God fence painting is so dispiriting.  It takes ages to get anywhere.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Flora - you might enjoy it as you see it come together.

Me, three hours later -
  • On the plus side, you now know karate.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Holy shit that's true.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    No regrets
  • I’d like to send Reg’s garden some plants to finish off it’s refresh.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    We have my father in law doing a vegetable patch so don't worry.

Imagine being retired at 60 and doing a vegetable patch.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!