52 Games a Year 2021 Edition/ Game Record 2021:
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Why the sad face? It’s normal for you to buy anything.

I don't often buy Elf games though, managed to convince myself this one looked good.

Edit: Aer
  • 20. Maquette

Hey, it’s another Annapurna game. What does this mean? This means that it’s a game published by people who think that listening to Belle and Sebastian while looking out the car window is a personality.

[4]
  • 21. Alienation

Played through the campaign co-op with Shabby and finished it today. We’re now doing higher World tiers and are firmly on the Loot Cycle but as far as campaign goes, we can say it is “completed”.

B+ Housemarque, not their best, but even B level Housemarque is better than 90% of stuff out there. Lovely particles, crunchy guns, all the effects on screen at once. Missions are short and sweet - most take 10-15 minutes, so it’s the perfect game to jump on for a quick session. It’s not Nex Machina or Returnal, but very little is. Would be a 6 or 7 (if generous) played solo. But as a coop adventure, it’s a cool little thing.

[8]
  • I liked the feel of what I played but thought the levels were too long for solo play. Should co-op at some point considering that's what I bought it for.
  • Yar. Absolutely a co-op thing.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Is it actually also couch co-op? Or online only? Just bought it anyway so hopefully get some B Level Pew going this weekend. Since I can't find the A Level Machine still.
  • Nex Machina has couch co-op. Alienation online only, I think.
  • 57. AER: Memories of Old - Switch (3hrs)

Ropey laid back exploration game that's part Rime and part Flower with a touch of Skyward Sword's unfairly maligned flying sections.  The germ of a good game is in here somewhere but performance issues and terrible on foot controls clip its wings with rusty shears.  I love a good flat shaded look but this seems to have been shoehorned onto the Switch with very little care - it hitches and freezes regularly alongside a generally poor framerate.  Flying is enjoyable - moreso than in The Falconeer, actually - but even coupled with the small handful of other things it does well that can't save this from mediocrity.  [5]

Final review from Tilly:

"The flying bits are a 10 but the ending is a 1.  The other bits are a 5 so I think 6 for the whole thing".  

Not seen her so mad at the ending to anything before, tbf we both thought it was leading up to something other than a sudden credits roll.

719da37568e3a0b9fee33b00423b9cb451bdff0a.gifv
  • Tilly pulling no punches lol.  Uncompromising.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Yeah, good work from Tilly. You love to see it.
  • 58. Detroit: Become Human - PS4 (10hrs)

I've got a soft spot for the Cage stuff, although other than this I've only played Heavy Rain to completion.  HR had big 90s TV movie energy whereas this is more of a late noughties Partridgeshrug FX Sci Fi series.  I'm not really a science fiction guy - there are dozens of things I like within the genre but I rarely seek it out, so 'androids with feelings' was never likely to float my boat as much as press X to Jason.  Wonky serial killer whodunnits ftw.  Actually, I did really enjoy the films EX Machina and Her in recent(ish) years, but this was probably closer to D.A.R.Y.L than Blade Runner.  No-one is going to come away from this thinking they'd like to read the book (whereas the universe of something like Mass Effect felt strong enough to withstand extra scrutiny, so games can do it).  

It was fine for the most part, which is good enough for what boils down to a choose your own adventure QTE.  There are 85 endings apparently, and with so many choices/repercussions it's quite impressive that my playthrough maintained a decent average throughout.  I'm sure I missed some of its better scenes, just as I undoubtedly sidestepped some of its worst.  The acting is decent for the most part with neither Henriksen or Brown phoning it in God bless 'em, but the guy playing Connor has clearly modelled his performance on everything Keanu Reeves has ever done, which was disconcerting.  

I can't be arsed with a long winded review.  Anyone familiar with the work of David Cage probably knows what to expect, and this was almost precisely as enjoyable as I expected it to be.  When it's grandiose it tends to fail, given that scenes are often unintentionally hilarious when it has its po-face on, but Kara's story keeps it in check. [7]    

tumblr_p9jdo9JmjI1u6sgaio7_400.gifv
  • 59. Kaze and the Wild Masks - Switch (3hrs)

This was one of the few games that tickled my fancy when a load of demos dropped on the Xbox store last summer.  A glowing review from Nintendo Insider convinced me to order the cart - which released two months after the digital launch - for a whopping £24.99.  I forgot about it until it arrived. /That's interesting.

I've always got time for Donkey Kong Country, which is pretty much the only thing this tries to be.  Derivative platformers are fine with me, once I'm in their grip it really doesn't matter if they're doing anything new as long as what they're imitating is in my wheelhouse, but boy is this an outrageous clone.  NFG.  

Level design is good and controls are the right mixture of tight and loose to match the weighty feel.  Numerous ideas are reused as you progress but that's the way it's supposed to be.  Honestly, pretty much everything is just DKC in a wig and glasses.  There are only four worlds, which came as a surprise as I was expecting a minimum of five given the way the difficulty was ramping up.  It's tough, but only because of the single checkpoint system really, and the later levels didn't seem much trickier than the early ones because by that stage I was prepped for everything.  Occasional character changes are well done, particularly the autorun section (*cough, minecarts*) and the Tiger with a mid-air dash and wall hop.

Overall it's a very good game.  A couple of years ago this would've been an [8] for me, it really doesn't do much wrong.  There are plenty of secrets/items to hunt (all ripped from the Rare/Retro Studios games, only here you collect KAZE letters), and presumably an extra world tucked away.  Plus I expect it'd be good fun for speedrunners, albeit not something that has legs as optimal paths can be found quite quickly.  [7] for lack of effort and the fact that timing a button press as you bop onto an enemy doesn't seem to make you bounce higher (heinous crime), but it's a quality 2D platformer.  A mighty fine Donkey Kong Country clone, but that's absolutely all it is, and it's well overpriced.  

ef08a3a5af88f89e9f08b1ad6fa16bbb6fdb70c7.gifv
  • 19. Mass Effect 2 - 30 Hours - 10/10 - Xbox Series X

This is just so close to perfect it’s incredible. Everything is better than the first in my opinion, it’s like everything got turned up to 10. Even the most boring mini-game of planet scanning is somehow addictive and has you scouring for resources you know you’ll never ever need. Ended up with tons of everything.

Story, characters, action, choices, everything, everything is ace, the Illusive man is awesome, Mirandas ass is incredible, just can’t fault it really. Absolutely loved every second.

Onto number 3 at the expense of Resi, Ratchet & Clank, and Returnal.
  • That's the only one I played, quality game.
  • It’s just perfect. Can’t find fault with it!
  • 21. Ninja Gaiden Sigma [7]
    Showing it age a bit, especially with the camera and a lack of QoL features that we're used to these days, and some bits of cheap level design. But this is still the most well-rounded of the NG games, with a winding structure to explore, and the combat is still slick and brutal. 

22. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 [7]
    The basic combat is even better here, and the weapon selection is inspired, not least the tonfa and kusari-gama. However, it's a lot more one-dimensional in its focus than the first game, and this Sigma version strips it down even further, virtually turning it into nothing but a long series of repetitive battles. It also drops the difficulty down too much to compensate for the original version's frustrations.

23. Final Fantasy VII Remake: INTERmission [9]
    Yuffie returns in a good sized slice of DLC. They do a good job fleshing out the bratty, boisterous character and making her distinctive in combat. There's also some good side content, including a revamp of the Fort Condor RTS from the original. By the end of it, the Midgar scenery is wearing thin, but it was good to revisit it through fresh eyes.

24. Necromunda: Hired Gun [5]
    Warhammer 40K FPS that does a great job with the setting and for a while feels like it could be a solid B-tier Doom-alike. But it's actually rather messy mechanically and doesn't have the variety of enemies to keep it tactically interesting. And for all its character progression systems, the best thing to do most of the time is select your biggest gun and run towards things shooting them in the face, then finish them off with invincible melee attacks up close.
  • 60. Alba: A Wildlife Adventure - Switch (2-3hrs)

Delightful, huge hearted holiday snapshot that's as refreshing as a snooze in a sun lounger.  It's not beholden to anything oppressive despite essentially boiling down to a checklist of rudimentary tasks, and manages to feel like it's fuelled by holiday time.  Which is precisely the intention, given that Alba herself is holidaying with her grandparents in laissez-faire land.  Trouble is afoot, in fairness, but it always feels like a small plaster and a big squeeze will fix it.  It's been described as a chillectathon, which is fitting, but it's also a weight lifter.  Not the sort that aggressively pinches TV presenters after a hearty breakfast, I mean an experience that can lift a yoke from your neck with its laid back charm inoffensive.  Even the way Alba occasionally skips with exuberance as she hot-foots it around the picturesque island is effortlessly enchanting.  

It's the sound of the summer.  It's cheese and chutney sandwiches after Cockleshell Bay.  It's a Touryst taking A Short Hike in search of a Kodak moment.  It's a wild life adventure.  It's coming home!  It's a near perfect bitesized getaway and it's just what the doctor ordered. [8]

Disclaimer: I played this in our family caravan on holiday time and had a refreshing snooze in a sun lounger part of the way through.  Props to yourfavourite uncle for popping it on my radar and Tempy's review for cementing the WANT.  Elf, you should give this a go. 

alba-a-wildlife-adventure-review.gif
  • Deffo. I’ve had my eye on it since the glowing review from our Tempy.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • The kid is halfway through it at the moment (although it's been inexplicably dropped for the time being for the rancid Miitopia). I really like it. A bit like A Short Hike. The game Pokemon Snap should have been.
  • I have no idea what's going on in Miitopia and I instantly glaze over when it's explained to me.
  • Yeah likewise. A mostly automated RPG that makes you create your own characters. She can mostly get on with it on her own so that’s something.
  • 22. Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart

Enjoyed this. Was a fun, Saturday morning cartoon and very, very shiny. Not a big R&C fan at all and this is just more R&C - no bad thing, the series has its fans. For them, I think this’ll be a GotY contender. For me, it was just a simple good time. Was funny, gorgeous, loud, didn’t outstay it’s welcome and had buckets of charm.

[8]
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’ve been cautiously taking my time as didn’t want to burn through it. I’ve only played the PS4 version but really enjoyed it. The quality of the game is stunning. There’s a solidity to the graphics not seen outside of Naughty Dog stuff.
  • Verecocha wrote:
    19. Mass Effect 2 - 30 Hours - 10/10 - Xbox Series X This is just so close to perfect it’s incredible. Everything is better than the first in my opinion, it’s like everything got turned up to 10. Even the most boring mini-game of planet scanning is somehow addictive and has you scouring for resources you know you’ll never ever need. Ended up with tons of everything. Story, characters, action, choices, everything, everything is ace, the Illusive man is awesome, Mirandas ass is incredible, just can’t fault it really. Absolutely loved every second. Onto number 3 at the expense of Resi, Ratchet & Clank, and Returnal.

Just finished this one - yeah agree with a lot of that.  Really is a joy to play an old favourite and it's just as good as you remember.  Such a great group of characters to have space adventures with.  I give it a 10/10 too.  Why not.  

Will play something else in between this and ME3 just to freshen things up.  And am only on 14 games completed this year, really need to pick up the pace!
  • 61. Disc Room - Switch (3hrs)

Had this on my massive watch list since launch, finally bit at £9ish in the current sale.  From what I've played it's very good (underlined or in bold, possibly), but depending on where it goes with the unlockable hard mode there's a chance this could become a Legit Worldie of Actual Merit, the sort that pops up on end of year lists in respected publications.  I haven't investigated properly yet, but it feels like its now try the real thing mode is the equivalent of Meat Boy's Dark World, with tweaks that up the ante in existing stages.  The default quest was tough but not outrageously so, which bodes well for my chances in the post game.  I thought I was getting a roguelike HyperDot for some reason, which isn't the case at all.  It's got the same timed avoidance puzzle core, but here the rooms are knitted together as part of a larger puzzle box.  You gradually open up the map by hitting room requirements to open exits (survive ten seconds, kill two guardians and so on), but it also has a more cryptic side.  Fez springs to mind, but I expect this is only because I can't think of a better comparison right now.  It doesn't lean into its ambiguous elements quite as much as I would have liked - in the main game at least - but when it does it works very well.  It's a masocore death tally twitch puzzler with a more-than-meets-the-eye subsurface.  I often stick my neck out and suggest certain games for certain badgers, but I'd be amazed if this wasn't all the way up @Acemuzzy Avenue.  I was wrong with THOTH and it smarts, must make amends.  Visually it's a treat - think a nice & chunky, slightly darker top down The Splasher - and the score is pretty strong.  There are endless things to fiddle with when it comes to difficulty sliders too.  I've played on the defaults so far but I like it when the devs allow you to mitigate your own shiteness, if you so wish.

I'll have to play more to be sure, but at this stage it feels like a [9].  I'd probably buy a Devolver Digital tower defence farming sim if the price was right, I wouldn't be surprised if the dozen or so games they've published that I've played average an 8.5.  Semi hidden full gem.

zabk5q85qw50xivrhri3.gif
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Ooh yes I think I recommended it to you without having played it but it was already firmly on my radar and now even more so!
  • 15: Metroid Zero Mission (Wii U) 8/10

The road to Metroid Dread!  I need to play this and Fusion so that I can pass myself off as a Metroid expert in a few months time.

This is a little more positive than Moot’s review from a page back but we share quite similar opinions (except for the last level, which I thought was awesome!  I like games when they make you do a level as a weakling, then go back though when you’re powered up).  Namely boss fights (they do look great but didn’t do anything for me) and Samus being just okay to control.  Had an easier time than I did with Super Metroid (a game I didn’t play for years because I didn’t like Samus’s gait, lol) , this game feels a lot less demanding, like you don’t need to be so precise with your screw attacks and such, so that’s something.

They’re the only real issues though; it’s a great map (assuming it’s a close likeness to the original Metroid, this is a crazy achievement for such an old game), a real nice sense of progression with your powers.  Looks and sounds great too.  No stuffing around either.  Didn’t feel bloated even with the extra level.   

It did feel a bit off with the layout on the Wii U controller with jump being on A and shoot being B.  Never stopped confusing myself with which was which.  Also felt like it could have done with a couple of buttons; i think that’s always the way when playing a game built around few buttons on a pad that has several buttons.  Anyway, great stuff and looking forward to Fusion sometime soon.
  • Samus runs like a young Jordan Henderson.
  • I’m not familiar with that fellow.  Couldn’t find a nice long side on video of him running to compare, but did find the quote from Alex Ferguson about how he runs from the knees with a straight back.  Perfect description of our girl!
  • 20. Mass Effect 3 - ?? Hours - 10/10 - Xbox Series X

Seriously, the only thing wrong this game is that it doesn’t let you put holster your weapon when you’re not in combat whilst on a mission. That’s it. That’s completely it. And how stupid is that that it’s the only thing I can think of?

A few little changes from the previous game that weren’t a problem but somehow refines the perfection even more. In my opinion it’s literally perfect. The perfect culmination of the series. It’s just so fucking awesome that I almost feel like it can’t be real as just no game is THAT good.

Outstanding, I can’t remember how good I thought it was the first time around but simply not good enough. Thank god I got to worship it again.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!