Burned Hopes of a Console Generation
‹ Previous123
  • As this generation is now in it's twilight and it's only a matter of time before we see new consoles announced by Microsoft and Sony, what were you hoping to get from the current crop that never appeared?

Personally, with digital distribution, I was hoping to have a much bigger range of titles available for download. I wanted to have the top games available from PS1,2, Oldbox and GameCube to download at a reasonable price. Instead we have a pretty small range of games available considering the possibilities, and it probably isn't going to get better before we move on.

Anyone else hoping to get something from this wave of consoles that hasn't been delivered?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Have decided to just be content with webgaming becoming something more than a bit of fucking shambles, with no particular love for any new IP except latterly Gears multi just as many others decided they were bored with Gears multi.

Oh and the 360 pad's really pretty good if I must pad.

The creative consolidation at the AAA-tier has been really pretty frightening though. I mean compare even as recent a thing as the PS2's catalogue to what's happened since, to the point that it's practically a Truth now that exciting, appreciable novelty and serious bux rarely appear in the same project.
  • Emo thred title oh wait its matty never mind yeah wot brooks sed carry on i sed my peice in an e3 thred woo
  • Unless Kow has failed to report properly on E3, there haven't been any new hardware announcements yet, so there's a fair bit of time to go before this batch gets consigned to Turtle's skip o' breakage.
  • WTF stop posting so fast go back to maria's dickhead thread pls.
  • burned xboks has rrod PS3 is best lol

I'm still waiting for the Emotion Engine to deliver tbh, did we get any further with that this gen?
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • The limited supply of retro games always confused me also, even if they are just emulated rather than full ports t'would be better.

It has been a long story this cycle. We all sit here bitching about everything being a shooter, but they only really found their feet this generation too. Same with online gaming and the return of indie and smaller games for consoles.

For me, I guess there were a lot of games that I loved for the N64, mega drive, snes, etc that never received good enough treatment in this and to some extent the last gen. Games like Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, Banjo, Perfect Dark, Micro Machines, Cannon Fodder. They have either been forgotten, had lazy ports or shit sequels.  

Biggest disappointment is probably Rare, they only released a couple of things last gen, I think the general opinion was that they were holding out for this gen but it just never happened.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I, like, totally wanted some emotion from a game, some connection or summat rather than "WOO EXPLOSIONS EXCITE" or "I JUST SMASHED A NAZI IN THE FACE WITH A KNIFE"

As is, Ico is still the most emotion I've got from a game, and 90% of that was mainly 'meh'. Do summat developers, make me feeeeeeeeel.
  • I have to wonder who makes the decisions about which old titles get released.  The selection of PSone games on PSN is frankly weird.
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    I have to wonder who makes the decisions about which old titles get released.  The selection of PSone games on PSN is frankly weird.
    Disney apparentley
  • This was also the generation that Nintendo shat the futon for me. Haven't seen fit to hang onto the Skullo for a single title.
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    I have to wonder who makes the decisions about which old titles get released.  The selection of PSone games on PSN is frankly weird.
    Disney apparentley

Exactly. A basic "Top 30 bestsellers of PSone and 2" on PSN would be better than what we have.
  • I'm very close to throwing my PS2 in skip. When I do, there'll be pics.
    "Our music's strong enough to stop a bomb...putting pressure on you kids like I'm a soccer mom"
  • I was hoping for more good, original Japanese games that looked like Japanese games but it never happened. Even Dark Souls, as much as I love it, doesn't look Japanese.

In general, this generation has been complete shite for me, really, with the majority of games I've really identified with either being tiny indie games or games with 'Mario' at the beginning of them. I kind of hoped that I'd be interested in more games this generation than I was and I didn't expect Japanese gaming culture to die quite so spectacularly.
    You really are fond of chatting with me, aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for me!
  • This gen has been amazing, with the first 6 months on LIVE being absolute heaven. It's just all gotten incredibly derivative and dull for some reason. It's just as much a problem with me, as the games, I'm sure.
    "Our music's strong enough to stop a bomb...putting pressure on you kids like I'm a soccer mom"
  • The longer generation should've led to more experimentation; instead it's led ot more stagnation. I'd kind of hoped that once the major games had had their trilogies completed publishers would wait until the next gen before starting them again, and in the meantime try and get some new shit going. Now it's more Halo, Gears, CoD...
  • All B-teams on the development for those though is it not?

Not to suggest the A-teams are secretly concocting WONDERS but hey.
  • Isn't 343 made up of the guys that made Halo when it was fun?
  • I'm just getting back into gaming after 2 years out in da wilderness. I'm picking up the best of the last 24 months on the PS3, going on recommendations from you beautiful people, 
    I've got a lot of catching up to do.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • JonB wrote:
    I'd kind of hoped that once the major games had had their trilogies completed publishers would wait until the next gen before starting them again, and in the meantime try and get some new shit going. Now it's more Halo, Gears, CoD...

4 is a terrible number to reach in any major franchise that doesn't treat each entry as an almost entirely seperate enitity.

Analogues to film here, but because games age poorly and the big franchises are currently seen as rapidly growing money spinning geese, they see fit to milk them utterly dry. That is great for the wierdos who collect all the figures, tshirts, branded Soft Drink packages etc but it really fucks everyone else over.

Imagine if instead of 6 Star Wars films in 40 years there were 6 in 10 years. Jesus.

Basically, I blame Nintendo and their inability to make a new game that isn't just Zelda or Mario or whatever. Considering their games are often fun and inventive and willing to try new stuff they are fucking useless at new IPs.
  • Revenge of Shinobi got released on XBLA at last so generation completed right enough.
  • There has been so little of interest to me personally on 360 / PS3 that I wasn't tempted by either for a long time. Just got a PS3 last Christmas and can count the games I really want for it on one hand. Will buy a 360 soon, but the reason for that is for indie and rare retro games rather than big releases. This is more an issue of personal taste than quality of games I guess - Halo, Gears of War etc have no appeal to me.
    You really are fond of chatting with me, aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for me!
  • I've owned a PS3 for a decade now and still don't have any games.  Apart from WipEout. 

Don't regret it for a second though - perfectly decent BR/other media player.
  • Goddamn I'm still blind.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    Revenge of Shinobi got released on XBLA at last so generation completed right enough.

also on psn and amazingly as good as i remember.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • There haven't been nearly enough FPSs released.  Especially military themed ones.
  • TheDJR wrote:
    A great JRPG.

This. I've been waiting 2 generations for this.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I assume you're ignoring Demon's/Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma because you mean a traditional turn based JRPG. How about Lost Odyssey? Or the natural evolution of the old JRPGs, Xenoblade Chronicles?

I'd suggest that Dragon's Dogma is perhaps the next step up from that, you have all the quests, party members, vocations and skills of a JRPG, but with the added bonus of a great flexible combat system.

As far as burned hopes go, while Live and the PSN have been a great success, the hype surrounding user created content being available on the market place hasn't been as widespread or as deep as was suggested at the beginning of the generation. Trials Evolution has hit the nail on the bonce with its user tracks, but I can't think of any more examples at the minute.
  • I'm gonna go against the grain and say that I have loved this generation. From the introduction of achievements to so many game series I have grown to love (Gears of War, Assassins Creed, GRAW, Darksiders, Mass Effect, Oblivion/Skyrim, Dragons Age), this has just been a great couple of years in regards to games.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Oh there are many high points, I'm just saying what were you hoping for/thinking would happen and hasn't.
‹ Previous123

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!