2020 52 Games in 1 Year Challenge!!
  • I have never heard of that resi game.
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • Its the House of the Dead type one isn't it?
  • Yeah, on rails shooter originally released for the Wii along on with its superior prequel The Umbrella Chonicles.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Blood & Truth is going to feel like a Revelation.
  • How does that's compare to Rush of Blood?

Resi would have been a 6 if it wasn't for the bugs, but they left a bad taste in my mouth which was a shame.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • There's not much in it.  It's more interactive than Rush of Blood as you can choose cover spots and it has some pretty good assult course type sections.  Interested to hear your opinions on it at some point.  If I had to guess I'd say you'll prefer RoB, but if B&T clicks with you it could well end up as one of your favourite PS4 exclusives.
  • How does that's compare to Rush of Blood? Resi would have been a 6 if it wasn't for the bugs, but they left a bad taste in my mouth which was a shame.
    Never eat the bugs in a Resi game.
  • 2.Horizon: Zero Dawn - 24 Hours - 8/10 - PS4 PRO

Decided to go back, for a third time...and finally stuck to it and finished this. Unluckily the first time I think it was up against Zelda, the second time I never really tried I don’t think, but this time I pushed through the relearning curve and it is without question an amazing game. Absolutely stunning, good to play without being great, an interesting world and enjoyable story, and most of the main characters are interesting as well as the main being very much so. There’s definitely something missing but I can’t quite put my finger on it. But, I have definitely enjoyed it at the third attempt, really glad I went back...again.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Narratively I thought it was great, echoes of Enslaved. As a game, what was "missing" for me was it was an open world with lots of "stuff" but very little to do. As if Sony went to visit Ubisoft or someone just got all 50 pigeons in GTAIV
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Narratively I thought it was great, echoes of Enslaved. As a game, what was "missing" for me was it was an open world with lots of "stuff" but very little to do. As if Sony went to visit Ubisoft or someone just got all 50 pigeons in GTAIV

Completely agree with that. Certainly wasn’t something I wanted to do anything more than the main storyline.
  • Complete opposite for me. One of the few open world games where it's fun to just go off track, discover interesting things and muck about with the weapons and monsters.

As soon as the map opened up I went on a huge walkabout and only returned to the story hours later.
  • 10. Sky Blazer, SNES (90mins)

Finally finished this.  I don't think doing it in four sessions helped in the end, I probably should've put more of an effort in.  I'd like to try it on original hardware to see if it's the emulation that gives the controls that 'a little bit off' factor, which can be a problem on the Pi from time to time (the timing of the double jump in Revenge of Shinobi has never felt quite right to me via emulation, for example).  The franky pathetic short range of the attack is my main bugbear, as it exacerbates the already floaty controls thanks to the way certain enemies have to be approached precisely.  Playing this without any nostalgia gives it an unfair disadvantage though; my retro head is savvy enough to know that this would've been legit in 1994.  I know for a fact some of the bosses would've got my juices flowing (some - a couple are bobbins).   It's varied, often a massive tick in the plus column for late period 16-bit titles, but in worthwhile ways.  I enjoyed the forced scrolling levels and Mode 7 always looks sexy af to my Megadrive eyes.  As usual I'll go for a percentage rating.  FWIW my retro scores can be roughly deciphered using the formula 'what I would've given it at the time minus 5-10% (depending on genre)'.  So a healthy 83%, from me - doesn't quite sneak into the low top tier but definitely a good platformer overall.

115. Never Give Up - Switch (3hrs 52mins)
    And I never did, so I'm not sure what the punishment is if you do.  I expect I would've binned it if you couldn't mute the main character's incessant quips though, wowsers.  Someone honestly thought it would be a good idea to chuck one-liners in for every death (example: "I am the weakest link, goodbyeeeee", or "NO DISASSEMBLE", to quote a forum favourite). Whichever way you slice it it's a spectacular mistake.  Meat Boy clone with quite good controls and a neat hook to the levels - each set presents progressively harder iterations of the first area.  The whole press & hold L&R to give up if you die enough times on thing seems like a bit of silliness to me, surely no-one who plays the masocore platformers would accept even temporary defeat other than banging the power off in a strop.  Easy for me to say though, as I played it on easy.  'Easy' being 'extremely fucking difficult but with checkpoints' throughout the stage.  Huge nope for playing something like this without checkpoints, it just sounds like torture.  I wouldn't have the skill or inclination to see it through and the 4hr runtime would've easily turned into 10-15 I'd imagine. 

As mentioned it's a Meat Boy clone, even down to the blood splatter residue sticking to the spinning saws, but side by side it's a pale imitation.  That's not to say it's not a very enjoyable game for the most part (if you like this sort of thing!), but it never threatens to get within a yard of SMB's coattails.  The main character can't run, so he builds up speed as he goes along, but he can slide under things.  It's fine - some dodgy wall jumping aside - but Meat Boy is pretty much perfect, so if you're coming at the king you've got to do it better than this.
  • 4. Mafia III (PS4) - 45hrs

There's a lot to like in this game. The story and presentation are superb and most importantly all the mechanics are fun and its a joy to play imo.

The biggest negative is the mission structure, which is seriously repetitive unfortunately, not a bad game but one I came away from not liking as much as I wanted to.

7/10

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 5. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (SNES) - 6hrs 15mins

The best of the RARE DKC games and one of the best 16-Bit platformers imo. Only SMW and YI spring to mind as definitely being better, which is nothing to be ashamed about.

9/10

My list

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 7. Tiny Toons - Buster Busts Loose (Snes)
    Ok-ish. Decent graphics and animation. I remember being more impressed with the gameplay during my first time with this back in the 90s. But I didn’t get close to finishing it and thought I’d give it a whirl. Mediocre first few stages, then an ill-judged and interminable American football level at the mid point. Then it gets back on track, a couple of decent levels at the end and it wraps itself up quickly. [6]

8. Rive (Switch)
    Excellent twin-stick shooter crossed with platformer crossed with a few other things. Rock-solid mechanically. Nice, frenzied gameplay. Tough but with very forgiving checkpoints that are more akin to the save-state spamming I use on retro titles. A love letter to old games. Your little spider-mech spaceship thing can jump, fly, swim, leading to all sorts of tributes to Asteroids, scrolling shooters, there’s one part where you climb out of a pit by avoiding and jumping on falling Tetris blocks with a bastardised version of the music playing. A squid robot enemy turns up and your pilot guy says he hasn’t seen one of those since Parodius. You get the idea. It’s not wearing its influences lightly. 

Very very good anyway. I liked all of it. Quibbles are that the special weapons are a bit meh, so the main chunk of the game is just blasting away with the same old cannon that you start with. No real upgrades to it or chain effects or anything. Also I DESPISE having jump on shoulder buttons. But with both thumbs taken up because of the twin-stickiness, there’s no obvious solution. At least let me reassign it to the digital shoulder button instead of the long-depress hell of the ZL button. But you can’t change the button layout at all. Criminal. There’s only a couple of times where it gets into ultra-tight split second platforming stuff where it's an issue. But it really is an issue at that point. Anyway, I loved it. [9] 

9. Aladdin (Snes) 
    The poorer cousin to the MD one. It has one thing the MD doesn't which is solid, big leagues, 16-bit Capcom platforming through the middle chunk of the game. Nice tight controls and fun swinging, and bouncing stuff from Al. A decent game in its own right but it isn't setting the world on fire either.[7]

Hall of Permanent Abandonment
    1. Fez (PC)
    Long-standing pile of shamer. I did about an hour about 4 years ago and have been meaning to finish it ever since. I picked it up again recently and now I'm done with it for good. I got about 18 cubes which is about all the low hanging fruit with the map more or less fully opened up. But  now the game seems to be backtracking through previously visited rooms through a fairly tedious map system and solving obscure puzzles with cryptography. It's not offering me enough at this stage to bother carrying on with all that guff. I can see how this can be a [10] to some but that sort of puzzling just isn't up my street. The environmental puzzling platforming bits are decent.
  • Is Donkey Kong Country 1 worth playing? I had a quick crack at that recently and wasn't bowled over. Why is 2 better?
  • 11. West of Loathing - Switch (7-8hrs)

Humorous cowboy RPG with particular attention paid to the humorous cowboy aspect - it's is a very funny game, and not just smile or titter territory; the script made me laugh out loud on multiple occasions.  This is a consistently well written game and the tone never grated on me.  The RPG side of the proceedings seems pretty standard, but the successfully amusing exchanges/text elevate the occasionally trite bob-a-jobbing considerably.  The battle system is perfunctory, but it works.  I'm off to bed soon, so this will be a short review, but I don't want it to sound negative.  I really enjoyed it, and I really don't tend to enjoy the genre at all these days, which means I'm absolutely recommending it to anyone who might be interested.  There's tons to do, and I did most of it.  That's right - I mopped up side quests!  Form an orderly queue to touch me, I'm a changed man thanks to the trials and tribulations of Waylon Hoss 'Danger' Roosevelt. [8]
  • monkey wrote:
    Is Donkey Kong Country 1 worth playing? I had a quick crack at that recently and wasn't bowled over. Why is 2 better?

The original is a decent platformer but isn't as good a the hype that surrounded it back in 94, those graphics did a lot to sell the game.

DK himself is quite cumbersome to control compared to Diddy, the bosses are quite poor and the secrets are to obscure to make it fun enough to 100%. The level design is ok, it has a few highs but overall it's nothing outstanding.

The second game improves on everything. Dixie Kong controls much faster like Diddy and the level design takes advantage of that, whereas in the first you was at a disadvantage if you had the wrong character.

The secrets are well hidden for the most part, still not Mario levels but it does enough to show you the breadcrumbs to suck you in if you like 100% these types of games.

The bosses are an improvement and it's a much more difficult game for the right reasons.

It's a minor thing but I think the way you finish a level sums up the creativity of platformers sometimes. SMB had the flag and World had the goalposts, DKC literally has an exit sign as you walk right. The sequel has an end of level target that works like a strenght tester where you have to come in high and time your landing to get the best prize.

Like I say it's minor within itself but it kinda shows how rushed the original was imo.

Never played the third so can't comment but if your only gonna play one DKC SNES game definitely pick 2 over the first one.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Nice.  Retro's hot take on the pre-Retro retro DKC games.  What are your thoughts on Tropical Freeze?
  • The high end along with DKC2 and Returns. Not much between those 3.

I really should play DKC3 at some point.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    RIVE YES M8

I missed out talking about the best bit. The health and weapon drops from the enemies go on a pattern. Something like 3 or 4 weapon drops then a health one. So you can be on the cusp of death and the best solution is to go mental firing off everything you can. Clear the screen, get the pickups, fire them off, get back to full health and suddenly, from almost certain death, you’re back on top with a full bar. Not from playing it safe and waiting for shields to recharge but from fighting your way out. That happened a lot. The whole core of the game is so well-tuned.
  • monkey wrote:
    The whole core of the game is so well-tuned.

This.  The challenges and battle arena modes are worthwhile too.  Not sure if you caught this in the Switch thread the other day but these guys 'get it':

Still on offer on Switch.  @retroking1981, I'd be genuinely shocked if it's not up your alley.
  • 3.Shadow of the Colossus - 6 Hours - 3/10 - PS4 PRO

I hated that. I absolutely hated it. After Horizon I thought I’d look for another unfinished and when I saw it was relatively short I thought I’d go back. Had Colossi 4-16 to destroy and I didn’t enjoy anything but the visuals. The controls are abysmal. The Colossi are boring. The world is beautiful but empty and boring. There’s no challenge beyond getting the character to actually do kind of what you want. The horse is abysmal. As I said, everything but the visuals. That is easily the worst game I’ve forced myself to finish. After seeing the metacritic score all I can think is people are letting it off because of the team behind it and the fact it’s different and blah blah as that was fucking awful.
  • Cocha give up gaming now. It’s for the best.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Or just stick to space marines with blasters etc etc
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Ban request

Granted.
  • It was so bad. So so bad. The controls are so, so awful. And the game is just so dull. The Colossi so easy and simple. There is no positive to it aside from the visuals.
  • I'm somewhere in the middle. Gave the remake a 7. It's a great experience with ultra high highs, but most of Vere's review rings true to an extent. It really doesn't play particularly well.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!