Wolfenstein II : The New Colossus
  • The first Wolfenstein game by Machinegames covered plenty of serious stuff, it was well received for taking its subject matter a lot more seriously than anyone had expected them to. They were praised working that into deft well voiced character work, that covered everything from black americans, disabled people - both physical and mental -, jewish people. The reason being was to contrast the humanity of the people persecuted by the nazis against the nazia. Lots of words were written about how well they’d written Blaskowitz as a well round, empathetic human, tortured by his experiences, instead of the standard meathead. So I think in the context of that, the stuff in Wolf2 makes a huge amount of sense. I remember it being covered a lot in the previews and critical press after release.
  • Tempy wrote:
    The first Wolfenstein game by Machinegames covered plenty of serious stuff, it was well received for taking its subject matter a lot more seriously than anyone had expected them to. They were praised working that into deft well voiced character work, that covered everything from black americans, disabled people - both physical and mental -, jewish people. The reason being was to contrast the humanity of the people persecuted by the nazis against the nazia. Lots of words were written about how well they’d written Blaskowitz as a well round, empathetic human, tortured by his experiences, instead of the standard meathead. So I think in the context of that, the stuff in Wolf2 makes a huge amount of sense. I remember it being covered a lot in the previews and critical press after release.
    Eloquently put.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    He gets on your wick?

Hahaha

I have no clue what the candle thing was about like. Love a bizarre insult
  • Something something sick burn something.
  • I think Dino must be having a hard time like all of us, benefit of the doubt that this thread just pushed him a bit far today.

I mean we all know he has some ... Challenging opinions but I've not seen him lose his rag like that before. Hope he's ok
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Gremill wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    The first Wolfenstein game by Machinegames covered plenty of serious stuff, it was well received for taking its subject matter a lot more seriously than anyone had expected them to. They were praised working that into deft well voiced character work, that covered everything from black americans, disabled people - both physical and mental -, jewish people. The reason being was to contrast the humanity of the people persecuted by the nazis against the nazia. Lots of words were written about how well they’d written Blaskowitz as a well round, empathetic human, tortured by his experiences, instead of the standard meathead. So I think in the context of that, the stuff in Wolf2 makes a huge amount of sense. I remember it being covered a lot in the previews and critical press after release.
    Eloquently put.

I understand not liking it, but at the same time it’s clearly following the through line of the first game, which balanced Nazis on the moon with real, tangible characters that were written with care
  • That was my issue with Dino’s hot take on it and hence my piss take (apologies to all offended again). It’s a game that balances the off the wall setting with the genuine craft of its characterisations and scripting. I’m astonished that American space nazi shooting has been handled in such a way whilst still keeping the outlandish nature of its inspiration. To furiously dismiss the game within the first few minutes just seemed really, I dunno, ridiculous? Ott? I obviously have the benefit of having played through it but the new games are famed for their writing, framing and world building so I kinda think however difficult the start may be to some, it clearly isn’t there to glorify child and animal abuse and so, to throw it in the bin with such views, whilst proclaiming your disgust was just too much.

Anyway, I’m full of apologies for upsetting the places mojo and I’ll show more thought on posting in future.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    He gets on your wick?

Hahaha

I think I posted when one of us was moaning about Hermes. My wife ordered a candle from there and a soggy empty box turned up? I’m candle shamed too I guess.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Well, at least you lived your life.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    He gets on your wick?

Hahaha

I think I posted when one of us was moaning about Hermes. My wife ordered a candle from there and a soggy empty box turned up? I’m candle shamed too I guess.

Thanks for illuminating the issue
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Felt I needed to shine a light on it.
  • All I can think is that Dino's dad made him shoot a dog in Nazi Germany and this has brought on horrible flashbacks for him.
  • Felt I needed to shine a light on it.

We can all wax lyrical on the subject, but unless you've the depth of direct experience, you'll just end up sounding tallow.
  • Well this game continues to impress. Got to the section 'Monster' where
    Spoiler:

General Engel is up there as an all time great baddie too - supremely creepy, menacing and perverted.
  • Child abuse and animal cruelty are both deeply unpleasant things.  You choose where to draw your line Dino - everyone's got a Donnie Osmund trigger for banging the telly off.
  • What’s all this about Jo Malone? Love me a good pine and eucalyptus, but pomegranate noir can do one.
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • Those candles aren't even curved enough to really do the job, tbh.
  • I’m uninstalling this thread.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm not getting into this thread apart to say I liked Wolfy 2 aside from some later rubbish level design.

However, outside of who said it, the emotions behind it etc, I have been thinking about the phrase 'Fuck yourself with your Jo Malone Candle' as an absolute all time put down. There's so much subtext there about so many things. I keep laughing.

I love all people involved but that is an absolute all timer. Up there with the aphids.
  • It's an r/rareinsults worthy one for sure (this isn't a dig, Dino, it's a top tier insult :)  )
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    As I said, it's an incredible put down. Fucking props.
  • Sounds like a followup from Jamie when he shouted SHUT IT, LOVE ACTUALLY

Yeah, it's up there.
  • If anyone can find the 'wind it in, long head' one I'll be forever grateful, I should've saved it at the time (it was on r/rareinsults)
  • I tried to find it a while back, I think it's lost. The lols kept bubbling up with that one, I remember trying not to think about it on a busy train hours after the whatsapp appeared.
  • I'm so sorry guys...

wcpZoMM.jpg

jB1qfkB.jpg
  • Oh, that reminds me of the twitter football fan with the long neck

"went to the tattoo parlour, asked for a tatt on his neck and got charged for a sleeve"

Outstanding
  • That reminds me of The Land Before Time.
  • I’ve not come across that before. I almost spat out my hot choc. Long head. Brilliant.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • The beauty of the Jo Malone candle putdown is that it works without the context. It’s just a totally bizarrely specific statement. There’s also the whiff of snobbery about it related to perceptions of that brand. Honestly, someone could write a thesis on it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!