FIFA 13
‹ Previous123456712
  • fifa-13-initial-box-art.jpg

News and interviews are starting to trickle in about FIFA 13 now.  I got extremely bored with FIFA 12 pretty quickly - I only play the odd game of 2v2 with a mate at weekends now.

Hoping that they make the gameplay speed a little slower and more realistic, the World Cup 2010 game got this right.

FIFA 13: EA improves on the best FIFA yet - but is it enough?

EA's tweaks and improvements promise to make you play differently...

By Andy Robinson for computerandvideogames.com

We've all seen the YouTube videos; Lionel Messi awkwardly snapping his leg, Fernando Torres performing an impressive triple summersault off the downed 'keeper and best of all, Andy Carroll's passionate kiss with Arsenal goalkeeper Lukasz Fabianski.

The features introduced in FIFA 12 were definitely more 'revolution' than 'evolution', but they were still flawed enough to produce some hilarious yet baffling video compilations.

FIFA 13 promises to fix that; the occasionally fail-prone Impact Engine has been prodded and improved - Messi's leg now doesn't break and Carroll realistically climbs off his almost-lover - and new attacking and defensive systems promise to make last year's Tactical Defending a whole lot more relevant.

It's a lot of little changes that on the back of the box probably won't look as impressive as last year's bulletpoints, but side-by-side certainly make FIFA 13 look a much better game than its record-breaking predecessor.

FIXING THE FAILS

The Impact Engine is the most striking improvement; last year the physics-based system changed the feel of virtual collisions and (most of the time) looked great. In FIFA 13 the computer AI will actually understand it, which means no more forceful faceplants ignored by the ref, and computer players that know they're a lot bigger and tougher than Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Defenders can now use their bodies - not just their feet - to block attacking players, which means pressing the tackle button and missing the ball no longer leaves you left for dead as it so often did in FIFA 12.

A stronger defender like Rio Ferdinand, for example, will figure out if the striker he's tussling with is much smaller and instead of going for the trademark FIFA 12 shoulder nudge, will barge in front of his man and shield him from the ball. He'll also do this in off the ball situations, blocking speedy players like Suarez from darting into the box to pick up a loose ball.

It looks great and as EA explained to us, it has further ramifications on gameplay. Defenders can now use the impact engine to affect how attacking players dribble the ball, using their physical presence to force extra touches and put them off balance. EA's created a whole new suite of animations just for this, and one example we were shown had a defender nudge his marker just as he struck the ball towards goal, putting him off balance and resulting in an easy save for the keeper.

This is just one of the ways EA hopes to eradicate those long lapses in possession caused by the introduction of Tatical Defending - and players who didn't know how to tackle with it. The 'First Touch Control' system is another; unlike previous FIFA's where 40 yard crosses are always magically trapped to the receiving player's feet, FIFA 13 will introduce a more realistic variety of control.

League 2 players will no longer perfectly trap long passes like Ronaldinho, and dodgy touches - which will depend on the player, his position and speed - can see the ball bounce or lost altogether, making it easy for the opposing team to gain possession.
    It's realistic, tactical and makes you realise how absurd the old system really was. EA's promised the system won't be overused - so you won't lose the ball every time you hit a long pass - but if executed properly it could make for a more strategic game where pinging the ball about like Barcelona actually means something, and applying pressure can legitimately force mistakes.

ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK

Because only the best players can now trap the ball like Kaka in glue-glazed Adidas Predators, the superstars of the game feel as skilful as they are in real-life. The penultimate FIFA 13 feature EA showed us was 'Attacking Intelligence', which promises to result in computer players positioning and moving around the pitch in a far more realistic fashion.

The way it works is - and bear with us here - AI players now analyse space on the pitch differently. The virtual footballers now think two plays ahead instead of one, which means they can analyse entire runs rather than just their next move in to space.

It looks impressive, and even more so when EA points out that your teammates will now work out who the ball possessor is most likely to pass to next. This seemingly results in intelligent, flowing attacks with CPU wingers running to support the unmarked fox in the box waiting to strike, rather than the double-marked man with the ball. Compared to FIFA 12, it's a huge improvement.

FIFA 13 looks a step forward then, but it could potentially feel very different to play as well. EA's calling 'Precision dribbling 2.0' its finished, "complete" dribbling system. It takes the 360-degree movement introduced in the last game and introduces contextual elements, changing dribbling styles based on the situation such as 1v1 scenarios.
    It almost looks like it dynamically integrates skill moves traditionally reserved for the left trigger and brilliantly, there's even a cut down version of FIFA Street's Street Ball Contol when your player isn't moving, allowing you to dance the ball around your feet with just the left stick.

Finally, the last FIFA 13 buzzword EA's talking about is 'Tatical Free Kicks', which allow players to order kickers to feign shots and run over the ball, while defending teams can command the wall to jump at will and dynamically add and remove players. EA hopes the new system will inject more 'cat and mouse moments' in multiplayer setpieces.

We came away fairly impressed with FIFA 13's gameplay improvements, even if we're still not clear where the 'big new feature' is.

Last year's game broke records and was arguably the best ever, side-by-side FIFA 13's army of advancements look to have made a more tactical, balanced and realistic footy sim. Is that going to be enough to impress the fans? We'll give you a better idea when we get actual hands-on time in a few weeks.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/347686/previews/fifa-13-ea-improves-on-the-best-fifa-yet-but-is-it-enough/?page=1#top_banner
  • So, we will be able to manage and play as international teams in the Career Mode in FIFA 13.

Anyone care?
  • Have the fixed the online yet? I didn't get FIFA 12 so still play 11 every now and then, and the online options are fucking awful.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I found FIFA 12 to be pretty good online, don't touch the single player.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    To be fair, I just don't think they cater to your specific requirements Matt (in that you like to play co-op online, right?) I don't think they're anyway close to effing awful.
  • All I play is co op FIFA. You need to go to the 2v2 lobby Matt.
  • I'd like to be able to be on the same team and play A.I, to do a league or touney.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Yep that would be cool, unfortunately EA only seem to bring out crappy ideas like ultimate team.

It definitely needs more online modes, I would love to be able to play through a career mode with a friend.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    There's nothing wrong with Ultimate Team.
  • It's a mode aimed more at the younger gamer though, surely? Having a team of Ronaldos and Messis is tiresome and far fetched. I want more modes like being able to play through a whole season with a friend against the CPU, ranked 2v2 modes etc. 11v11 needs GP be scrapped too, its awful and doesn't work.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Interesting that both the modes you mentioned (Clubs and UT) are by far the most popular on the game in terms of online play.

I'm 40+ (*cough*) and I love UT. I certainly don't have a team full of CR7's and Messi's. It gives you the opportunity to create a unique team and take it either online against a random or against a friend.

I love it (although I'm sure I'm in a minority of one on here).
  • I do agree with Plan M on adding co-op play for Seasons etc. Often I have ended doing a half each with a friend, and we always play 2 v whatever online... playing 2 v 2's is my preferred play.
    XBOX: Kurt Russel
    PS3: Air_Hair_Lair
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    Plan M wrote:
    It's a mode aimed more at the younger gamer though, surely? Having a team of Ronaldos and Messis is tiresome and far fetched. I want more modes like being able to play through a whole season with a friend against the CPU, ranked 2v2 modes etc. 11v11 needs GP be scrapped too, its awful and doesn't work.

well olis 40ish and im halfway thru my 30's also theres a group of close friends i have all in there early 30's (theweeble, slickus, etc) and we only play ultimate team, except on fifa monday (tonight woop woop) were we play 2 v 2.

the tournaments on ultimate team can be played 2 v com (or more vs com if you wish).

you cant have the same player on the pitch or starting 18...so no subbing messi for messi or such.
    you can have them twice but they just go in your club as a (forget what its called but its when you have 2 of the same thing and arent allowed to use 1....though you can swap 1 for the other before a match).

ultimate team is like the best bit of master league from pes done better.
    its perfect footy fodder for footy fans.

*i got a blue card last week hes a centre back for new york red bulls called pearce ...hes only at silver level but as hes a blue rare i jumped about the room with excitment.
    sold him for 85,000 on auction and built a whole team to my desired formation.
    i now have an awesome team that will only get better......love it.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Plan M wrote:
    Yep that would be cool, unfortunately EA only seem to bring out crappy ideas like ultimate team. It definitely needs more online modes, I would love to be able to play through a career mode with a friend.
    That's a cracking idea. The main bugbear with the online clubs 11v11 mode was having to play against other people. Quitters made it a nightmare, you'd sometimes only play one full game in an hour.

The AI would have to be top notch to compensate for human team mates though.
  • Did anyone see the "Skill Games" trailer? That bit looks fucking awesome to me. Could also see some of the new close control shizz going on, let's hope you don't have to fuck your hand muscles in doing so.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    like the umbro/addidas challenge of old pes/iss.
    hopefully a nice replacment for the arena loading thing.

also hope its as good as the old umbro training thing.

• daviedigi wrote:
    Plan M wrote:
    It's a mode aimed more at the younger gamer though, surely? Having a team of Ronaldos and Messis is tiresome and far fetched. I want more modes like being able to play through a whole season with a friend against the CPU, ranked 2v2 modes etc. 11v11 needs GP be scrapped too, its awful and doesn't work.
    well olis 40ish and im halfway thru my 30's also theres a group of close friends i have all in there early 30's (theweeble, slickus, etc) and we only play ultimate team, except on fifa monday (tonight woop woop) were we play 2 v 2. the tournaments on ultimate team can be played 2 v com (or more vs com if you wish). you cant have the same player on the pitch or starting 18...so no subbing messi for messi or such. you can have them twice but they just go in your club as a (forget what its called but its when you have 2 of the same thing and arent allowed to use 1....though you can swap 1 for the other before a match). ultimate team is like the best bit of master league from pes done better. its perfect footy fodder for footy fans. *i got a blue card last week hes a centre back for new york red bulls called pearce ...hes only at silver level but as hes a blue rare i jumped about the room with excitment. sold him for 85,000 on auction and built a whole team to my desired formation. i now have an awesome team that will only get better......love it.

I wasn't having a dig at anyone here - I just always thought that UT was aimed at the kids hence the trading cards etc.  I'm sure it's loads of fun from how you describe it :)

@Paul

That's what continually lets me down with FIFA (the AI) - I got bored of FIFA 12 after just a few weeks as the CPU opposition is either TOO fucking good (i.e. in Legendary difficulty on Tactical Defending, the computer can just dance around your players) or it's waaaay too easy.

A friend keeps telling me I need to adjust all of the sliders for a better single player experience but I can't be arsed with all that shizzle.
  • Let's just thank our fucky stars EA haven't decided to make the cards real and buyable from shops. That would fucking ruin me.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I stumbled into the Kid Icarus thread the other day. I was shocked.
  • Let's just thank our fucky stars EA haven't decided to make the cards real and buyable from shops. That would fucking ruin me.

It's only a matter of time knowing EA!
  • I won't be buying this.

Think I'm done with football games for the foreseeable future. Since leaving Uni and losing the same room aspect of it my interest in FIFA has waned to the point where I pretty much never want to play it.
  • Demo out September 11th.

Full game out September 25th.

Head-to-Head Seasons now has 2v2 co-op.

More FUT stuff.

"Match Day" features more real-time thingymajigs to scroll past, and apparently commentators will now comment on things that have happened in the last week or something.

Let the countdown commence.
  • Head to head seasons 2v2 co op?!?

Wow. Where did you get the news Gav?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    Source?

• Thanks Gav, this is the best bit of gaming news I have read for ages!
  • EA seem to have grafted on some Wii-like Move controls for the PS3 version.
  • Woodimari
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodimari
    PSN
    Woodimari
    Steam
    Woodimari

Send message
    If you go and like FIFA 13 on Facebook you can get TONS of information on all the new features announced at Gamescom.
  • Pretty much all I play these days is Fifa. Only game I ever buy on day 1. 

Fans and stadiums look shit, still. It's ridiculous that even some of the biggest clubs in Europe don't get their stadiums mapped. Would love to see tifos and flares in the crowd, although unlikely in a Fifa game, I suppose. 

Players warming up around the touchline and ball boys would be a nice touch: for me the mechanic and controls are perfect and graphics are fine on the pitch but the stadiums and crowds are so inferior and it spoils it a bit for me. Also keepers are way too good 1v1.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I've just ticked over a million coins on FUT. I have no idea what to do with it!
‹ Previous123456712

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!