ARMS House
  • It's a nice idea, and I like the controls, but it's just too hectic and confusing. I seemed to win most games by just blindly spamming punch and throw.
  • I believe internet etiquette requires me to respond along the lines of 'git gud lol', or something.
  • You missed 'scrub'

Face buttons don't make much sense for changing target. I'd like to change it to whatever the buttons on the inside are.
  • MinMin's super is insane.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    It's a nice idea, and I like the controls, but it's just too hectic and confusing. I seemed to win most games by just blindly spamming punch and throw.

That's going to melt away very soon. Dashing and jumping out of the way, or just blocking, is reassuringly effective.

So mastering curved punches will be a key technique to cover basic evasion, and throws to badger turtles.

There's also a block meter in there, ala Alpha 3.

That's promising.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    "...is truly beast."
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Wrong thread...
  • Right I missed most of this. I know an hour here and there isn't the best but does it seem good?
  • Right I missed most of this. I know an hour here and there isn't the best but does it seem good?

No, my entire body hurts now, so this game is clearly the devil.

It's not my cup of tea but can see how some would like it. It's a bit scrappy.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I like it, played for 3 sessions I think, only in the last one I started winning more and understanding the game a bit. (slow learner)

Always played the thumbs up way, (joy con in each hand, motion controlled) and it works. It's a slower game than it seems, just throwing punches out there doesn't get you very much. Had a couple of very nice matches in the last session, circling around each other poking with punches, jumping in and out of reach, looking for an opening to get a grab. Some on them came down to the last bit of health on each player's stamina bar, and then the game becomes way more defensive minded.

So yeah, I had fun, doesn't seem too complicated (but I haven't played around with charging your punches, or really paying attention to the different element and sizes of the arms), but it's not random at all, and you have to pay attention to the other player's moves.

3 and 4 player matches can be fun, I like switching between targets and get a few punches in before switching again, some are very focused on one player, and in a worse case they're both (or all 3) focused on you. Hard to get out there if you get attacked from all sides.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Scrappy? Too early to say.

There were people clocking up 40+ game win streaks in the demo, but that's not the best argument for it's value.

I'm definitely in day one though.

The hour long demo wasn't enough for me... It only gives you access to a fraction of the game's content, but what was there, I really enjoyed. With the full game, I can get a session in with some nerds, and practice stuff.

The demo's structure did not allow that at all (which was a smart move on Nintendo's part).

Right now though, while I still had some problems with the controls, I felt that I could win most one-on-one fights by just applying a little common sense (block, dash, punch). If things remain that way, I'll take that... But I do like how the curved punches worked.

Weapon selection is also very interesting. Now there's some media online, I've noticed how some players can nullify throws by equipping a heavy ARM, and throw it out in a particular way to stop the throw.
    And some players were also consistently disabling opponents ARMS.

It's very different to other fighting games, or any other game for that matter, but it is entertaining.
    I think it will be fairer to make a judgement about the game's depth after a month. Though with a bit more research, videos knocking around after this Test Punch session, and the next, will probably show us baare' shit that none of us here have thought of, or had the time to practice.
  • I'm looking forward to more.
  • Heavier arms deflect lighter ones Dyno.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Heavier arms deflect lighter ones Dyno.

I saw that in the Nintendo Direct media.

It was how they were doing it though.
    In the specific vid I saw, the dude was reading the throw/attack, and nullifying it consistently.

He did also get thrown a lot.

But then, that happened often in early SFV too.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    14a.png
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    OMG quite a few of those bullet points talk about an international sports competition
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    OMG quite a few of those bullet points talk about an international sports competition

Aye, they mean Splatoon.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    New global test punch has a different character in there and different game modes.
  • had a quick go. I am absolutely rank.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    New character is either a bit too strong or I've gotten better since last week. Enjoyed the new modes quite a bit as well. Looks very likely this will be a purchase for me, just had so much fun in that hour, and I was playing tabletop mode (most things are packed for moving tomorrow) so just a tiny screen.
  • What's the new modes? Working all this weekend, so can't play.
  • I got basket balled a lot.
  • Had a quick blast. Don't think it's my bag.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I like it a lot, but I got shat on this session.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Basket ball, 3VS CPU and target hitting were the new ones I spotted.

Don't think I have much time to play this weekend, basket ball is quite fun so is VS CPU, as that's an opponent that's not a playable character
  • I like the idea of CPU battles.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    That seemed to be nice, as you need to keep an eye on the enemy, but also the other fighters. If, for example, one just used his special power, don't go and grab the CPU, so it doesn't go to waste.
  • I'm no fightman and I thought it was awesome , a great variety of modes and the variety of characters was good .

I'm day one
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Had about 40 mins on this. Dug the variety and general style, but definitely feel that movement will take a bit of getting used to. Far too easy to curve a punch when trying to move sideways and punch straight. Given how similar it is to Virtual On though I'm totally sold.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!