ARMS House
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I'm just saying it wouldn't shock me.
    Bayonetta did, but this rating that high, would not.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • but if they're exploitable and flaky

I'll be fucking astonished if this one isn't.
  • If this game ends up collecting a 10, I won't be shocked...

Are you having a laugh? I'm seeing very little to get me remotely excited.
  • That doesn't preclude it getting a high score.

Escape's point isn't really a point. There's little point criticising something for not being something that it's making no attempt to be. I don't particularly care what conventional fightman fans make of it because it's not a conventional fightman. For Honour proved that there's fun to be had with a slower paced over-the-shoulder fighter. That's all ARMS needs to be; fun.
  • Chalice has spoken, there's nothing here. This is a barren seed from a desolate womb.
  • Sounds legit.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Amen, deliver us our ar(l)ms
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    Escape's point isn't really a point. There's little point criticising something for not being something that it's making no attempt to be.

Splatoon found life-extending legitimacy through its competitive play, and as such, this'll be viewed through that same prism by a minority. It won't hurt sales much, if at all, but it'll have a short tail if it doesn't inspire on the pro circuit.

Street-Fighter-site Shoryuken's forums are the quietest I've known them since 2007, yet Street Fighter V maintains a strong pro following thanks to its prize money. If Arms is too shallow for that scene and there's no dollar, it'll find its way into the Wii Sports drawer in fairly short order.

Is it still fun? For loads of people, yeah, probably. I'm just a post-3-2-1 Ted Rogers about most new games. ‘I was still getting the viewers, y'know!’, I'll shout into the howling wind as I finish my bottom-of-the-barrel ice-cream at the end of the pier. Toupee screaming over the railings to the sea.
  • Does anyone really give a shit about the pro-scene? In terms of sales and longevity I mean?

Plus this isn't really a fighting game in the same way MK isn't a driving game and Splatoon isn't a PvP shooter.

I wasn't sure what you meant by short tail.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    To an extent yr man Scape is right - look at how this game is being pumped on the metrics - exactly the same as splatoon with the old testfire replica, with the same dripfeed of content. They want an esports
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Think there's a tournament going on at E3 to start it all off in a big way.

As long as it's fun I'll be happy.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I think there's a form of parrying in this. But I can't tell if it's metered or free...
  • I think you can punch punches away providing you have a heavier or equal glove.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    That's true, but there's also a dedicated parry. I think it might not be universal though. Just like how Mummy boy can replenish energy when blocking.

Min Min and Colgate (Springman) have it I think.

There's already quite a lot to this game, but it's also very different.
  • I take it that this can't be played two player with one set of JoyCons?

It looks like the sort of game my daughters could probably have fun with (they both enjoy Mario Kart), but I can't afford this, Splatoon 2 AND a second set of JoyCons.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • It can be played one one set of joy cons in multiplayer.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I suppose you can also use a pro controller for player 2 if you have it.

Back to the question of depth, this is an interesting vid.

https://youtu.be/4tk6-zkNwts
  • I couldn't give two fucks what the Pro scene think of any game.
    Joy sapping nerds cumming their pants over frame data. Losing their shit over character balancing every two minutes.
  • That's no way to talk about @roujin

Seriously though I think a pro scene take on a game like this is interesting but not fundamental for it to be fun. They're good at mining games for data and balance and so on, and the deeper a game is, the better it is for everyone involved. Nuance is important, and this game seems like it has bags of it. 

The fun will quickly dry up if there is one superior strategy, and that's why the pro input at least interests me a little. If they find there isn't just one 'win em all' tactic then it'll show the game has been designed well and has legs (arf) beyond its initially novelty, which might push Ninty to continue supporting it - we're always complaining about lack of new IP, so I hope this one goes down well.
  • I couldn't give two fucks what the Pro scene think of any game. Joy sapping nerds cumming their pants over frame data. Losing their shit over character balancing every two minutes.

Things like wildly underbalanced cast powers is likely to be something everyone resents though. "Here's 8 fun looking characters but just pick this one and do this one thing to win every time".
  • At least there doesn't seem to be any juggling.
  • Brooks wrote:
    I couldn't give two fucks what the Pro scene think of any game. Joy sapping nerds cumming their pants over frame data. Losing their shit over character balancing every two minutes.
    Things like wildly underbalanced cast powers is likely to be something everyone resents though. "Here's 8 fun looking characters but just pick this one and do this one thing to win every time".

Aye that sums up what I was saying much more succinctly
  • We had fun, balanced MP games long before all this, it just takes some actual work before release.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Standards have changed in the online era though.
    And talk of over-sophistication?

I think, like Tekken for example, you can spam buttons and have a laugh, but it's clear Nintendo are designing this with the same audience that plays SFV in mind.

There's a ranking system, matchmaking and, now that there's more info available, strategy for days....

The only thing that appears to be missing, is high execution plays. But it might be too early to say that. Especially as there's a lot of potential for arena specific stuff.
  • It can be played one one set of joy cons in multiplayer.

That's great to know, thank you.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • We had fun, balanced MP games long before all this, it just takes some actual work before release.

Not in fighting games we didn't. Well they were fun.

So this isn't a fighting game? But Smash is? Shit got weird.

"In the long run, if you play solid, you'll be a more solid player." Aris Bakhthanians
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Standards have changed in the online era though.

Not just standards, the ability to disseminate information about optimal builds and tactics. These days if you want to become better at a game you just google it and find out that using X character and spamming Y move will give you the best chance of success.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Aye.. Standards...

Basically, designers need to account for that high volume trade in info.
  • Tempy wrote:
    That's no way to talk about @roujin

Hahaha, yasss.

No but seriously, like others have said, I think the 'pro' scene for most games has no impact on the people who are playing just for fun. If you venture online these days, you will usually be matched against similarly skilled opponents unless there are hardly any people playing (King of Fighters rip).

Also things have changed a bit now that everyone wants to eat sports as a marketing tool for their game, either to try and keep pushing the game to an audience to drive sales (SFV) or as a means of milking extra cash out of the fans (SFV again, take a bow, you shit). So the competetive scene does become something most developers try to cater for, but the only outcome of that scrutiny by the devs should be a game that improves balance over the course of it's life which benefits everyone.

I would like ARMS to get a decent competitive circuit, like I would like as many games as possible to get one, even though I don't really have much interest in the game, at some point I might want to see what the top level of play looks like. I like to equate it with people who like football who also watch other major sporting events. I like fighting games, those are my football, but I will also tune into other stuff like CS:Go or Starcraft 2 or Battlegrounds or Hearthstone if there is something big on from time to time, even if I don't follow those types of games I can still derive entertainment from the skills and rivalries on display, etc.

Yes I realise esports is pretty embarrasing and is still shedding it's fat nerds in moms basement image, but it's getting there, if through nothing else other than the amount of ritalin being taken by some people is making it impossible for them to turn in big fat nerds in the first place lmao.

Anyway here's to ARMS, a game which thanks to Capcom will find it almost impossible to not have a comparatively well received launch window.

"Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Considering my reaction time these days is a cold couple of seconds I'll be all over this like gman on his Zimmer.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!