Single Player FPS Campaigns
‹ Previous12345
  • Since completing the single player campaign in Titanfall2 and being slightly underwhelmed by the whole thing. I was wondering what has happened to the single player fps campaign?

Looking over the last five years the best (imo and I will probably be corrected on this) single player campaigns have been Borderlands 2 (2011), bioshock infinite (2012), crysis 2 (2011), bulletstorm (2011), Metro Last NighT (2013). Since then just Destiny (2014). *Note to add I've not played Doom, Wolfenstein new order on this gen.

The previous generation yes, it was ten years long. Has a massive list of fps games with good single player campaigns. What's going on?

However in the last few years we have had the release of first person games (can't really call them shooters), which have been dripping in atmosphere. Soma, Alien Isolation, Outlast, Amnesia.

Is it simply a case of games cost so much to make now that a fps has to have a multiplayer component as it's main allure to survive?

Is it because less players care about the single player campaign?

Or does the industry as a whole have to wait for a seismic event ala the mythical Half-Life 3 to wake developers up again?
  • Titanfall 2, DOOM and Wolfenstein are all excellent. Destiny was an uninspiring until The Taken King, whereas Infinite was an underwhelming wave shooter for the vast majority, with some nice aesthetics at times.

Between those there I like, I'd say TF2 for sheer novelty and power tripping, DOOM for having the most compelling central mechanic and deeper strategy to its fights, and Wolfenstein for its engaging set pieces and having just the right amount of back to basics mixed in with some smart quieter moments.

I would say those three are as good as the heights of Halo and Half Life 2.
  • Is Borderlands 2 actually a decent campaign, then? I'd just assumed it was more of the same and ignored it.
  • Destiny? Are you having a laugh. The parts of Destiny that can be considered the sp campaign are utter shite.
  • AJ wrote:
    Is Borderlands 2 actually a decent campaign, then? I'd just assumed it was more of the same and ignored it.

It's a bit long because of its mild mmo trappings but i enjoyed it.
  • Did you enjoy the first one, though?
  • Largely yes, but I played most of it in co-op which alleviated most of the grind. I wouldn't recommend either to solo players unless they love the loot crawl and seeing little numbers get big over time.
  • Kinda what I was thinking. Thanks, won't move it up the pile.
  • Haven't read the thread but Half-Life 2
  • The differing opinions show where the problem is. Expectations have been raised and it's easy to spend tens of millions making these and then fall flat. You probably still need a campaign on consoles as well.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Largely yes, but I played most of it in co-op which alleviated most of the grind. I wouldn't recommend either to solo players unless they love the loot crawl and seeing little numbers get big over time.

Soloing it is a piece of piss as long as you think about ya build. Done the base campaign about six times solo (and the two harder modes solo once).

Go Gunzerker, get the right build and you can gunzerk for 3+ minutes at a time with a 25 second cooldown.

Phenomenal game, and I hate the whole numbers bollocks.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The chances of Half Life 3 shaking anything up are basically zero.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Largely yes, but I played most of it in co-op which alleviated most of the grind. I wouldn't recommend either to solo players unless they love the loot crawl and seeing little numbers get big over time.

Soloing it is a piece of piss as long as you think about ya build. Done the base campaign about six times solo (and the two harder modes solo once).

Go Gunzerker, get the right build and you can gunzerk for 3+ minutes at a time with a 25 second cooldown.

Phenomenal game, and I hate the whole numbers bollocks.

Nothing about the difficulty of it man, just the monotony of it in places for me. Without other folk I would have probably been a little bored.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    That's fair enough mate. I just find the whole thing oddly compelling.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    The chances of Half Life 3 existing are basically zero.

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Existence is its first hurdle.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    For something beyond the normal list here, Black Ops has a legitimately mad campaign that's worth a look (the first)
  • regmcfly wrote:
    For something beyond the normal list here, Black Ops has a legitimately mad campaign that's worth a look (the first)

Is that on ps4? Old gen right? I might give that a go.

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Last Gen.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    There are too many new threads. This makes me suspicious and uneasy.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Someone tip him over.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    What are blops 2&3 like?
  • I got fed up with the genre midway through Halo 4 on the 360.  I thought it was something I just didn't enjoy any more and half-heartedly made a decision not to bother with any after that.  I lost interest in COD when bolt action rifles and nazis fell by the wayside, and thought the removal of split screen co-op from Halo 5 was the final nail in the coffin of the genre and the series.  Online play moved away from what I enjoyed too, everything was moar players moar modes moar sprawling and I like small maps with a handful of players on, simply trying to kill everyone else or the other team.  Then I played the Call of Juarez: Gunslinger campaign and it was so good I'm not against the idea of testing the waters again.  I picked up MCC and replayed the first level of Halo CE.  Doom looks good, I'll try that at some point, and Edge's review of the latest Battlefield intrigued me (not mp).
  • As I was saying in the Doom thread, it's the first FPS I've enjoyed without co-op shenanigans for ages. Probably since Half Life 2.
  • I always thought the general theory was that online mp basically slowly relegated sp to a tack on.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • The budgets on the big ones are so huge, I doubt there's much point anyone else trying to compete. A few mega franchises have taken over.
  • I was pleased to hear there's going to be a campaign in the Battlefront sequel.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    What are blops 2&3 like?

I didn't mind them that much. 2 has some interesting ideas with the branching narrative and the tower defence levels, and 3 goes off the wall in a mad meta narrative, but neither had quite the same effect as the first one for me.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    crysis 2

That's your baseline right.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Isn't there a hdupscaleathon version of Bulletstorm out soon? Such an underrated game and campaign.

Agree solo BL2 is boring as I've been trying to complete it since release and still have it installed. Could be that's because I chose turret man over what sounds like thrilling Gunzerker though.

I still need to install Wolfenstein The Old Blood. Weird that people who loved New Order seemed to think OB lukewarm but those who grimaced at NO loved OB.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Also I'd seriously add Metro: Last Light to that OP. That was a terrific single player effort as was the first game.
‹ Previous12345

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!