ReMaster vs ReMake
‹ Previous123
  • Who doesn't love ReMasters? Any selfrespecting ip does ReMasters as they are all the rage. Halo, Bioshock, Darksiders, Metro2033 etc. Upscaled gfx and sound without messing too much with the game structure and design.

Or perhaps you're someone who prefers ReMakes; complete re-imaginings of an ip trying to improve upon the original? Resi ReMake comes to mind as prominent example.

Speaking of Bioshock, anyone tried the remasters yet?
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Playing my way through Bioshock at the moment. Even better than I remember it. The remaster is nice, helps that it's an incredible game.

Remakes or remastered depends on the age of the game. Something like Resi needed and entire remake whereas as B'Shock a mere remaster. It'll be interesting to see when they start to entirely remaster games from the PS2/Xbox era instead of remastering them, or if such a thing will ever be necessary.

(They may have already done so I just can't think of one...)
  • Odin Sphere is probably one that could count. I hear it's pretty damn good.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I'm rarely interested in remasters, replaying anything since the 32-bit era doesn't appeal.  There are always numerous new games I like the look of that pass me by due to lack of time/motivation (mainly indie titles these days, I usually make the time for the handful of retail games I want each year).  I'd rather stick to the memories than replay even my absolute favourites.  I'm more up for Remakes but no-one's bothering to green light most of the ones I want.  In theory I'd be all over a Panzer Dragoon reboot.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Remasters are good news if you haven't played and enjoyed the original. Remakes if you have.

[/rule of thumb]
  • From a perspective that I imagine very few of you are interested in, because most of you aren't big wanks, I think remasters can be fairly problematic. gaming history is in flux anyway, and pinning down what the 'authentic' version of a game is can be really difficult - with longer conversations to be had about the preservation of games and hardware to be had. 

People have already documented a few changes in graphical style in Bioshock Remastered, and the Arkham Asylum remaster also looks to be changing the lighting and texture work in a way that makes it look different. I've no truck with remasters personally, but I do hope the industry affords archivist a chance to retain the original vision of a lot of these titles, lest they get washed away by versions that at worst, can totally fuck the entire theme and tone of the game - eyes are squarely on Silent Hill 2 HD and Wind Waker HD here.

As for remakes. DOOM is a good example of how to do it well. It leans into your expectations, and your rose tinted glasses, and tricks you into thinking that you're playing Doom again, but it's built in a totally different way and plays totally differently, but still has the ethos of the original in it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    For me remakes are the bigger risk on that front. Eg 2d -> 3d and it doesn't work or some bollocks. Less rope for remasters to hang themselves with.
  • I disagree, and it may be down to what we mean when we say remake or remaster. For me, a remake is a new title, like Magnificent 7, whereas a remaster is like the constant fuckery applied to Star Wars over the years. New Doom does not erase old Doom, they're separate titles. But Silent Hill 2 HD has a chance of becoming the default copy in the future.

I don't really mind a game going from 2D to 3D, like Metroid, because they're entirely different experiences. But if Metroid had been given a 2DHD spit and polish that had given it floaty controls, then we'd be into different territory. Inf act I imagine there are purist who argue that Zero Mission messes sufficiently with the original Metroid that its an issue for preservation, but luckily SNES emulation is easy as pie.
  • Tempy wrote:
    lest they get washed away by versions that at worst, can totally fuck the entire theme and tone of the game - eyes are squarely on Silent Hill 2 HD and Wind Waker HD here.

How so Wind Waker?  I haven't played through it, but I pottered around the first island for a minute or two and it still looked stunning.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    lest they get washed away by versions that at worst, can totally fuck the entire theme and tone of the game - eyes are squarely on Silent Hill 2 HD and Wind Waker HD here.
    How so Wind Waker?  I haven't played through it, but I pottered around the first island for a minute or two and it still looked stunning.

Struggling to get a decent sized picture but the gist is here:

Windmill.png

Pic 1 looks stunning, Wind Waker HD is a total looker. BUT. It kinda misses the point of the original. First of all it's more uncomfortable to look at because there is bloom lighting everywhere, and second of all (which is much harder to see) its's not really using cell shading. Matthewmatosis covers it much better than me. In the end it's personal preference, but I think he's bang on the money when he says that HD is against the aestehtic ideal of the original.

In fact that thumbnail utterly nails it - that isn't cell shading. The remake definitely improves on some areas - widescreen, shadows, but it isn't the same style. Luckily Dolphin exists and is a powerful and well supported emulator, but Nintendo can be very shitty about this, and if they demand it then WWHD may be the default the game is remembered by, and it's basically not even true to the technology they developed to make the cell shading style work.
  • Doom would be a reboot I think.
  • It's all such fussy terminology, but yeah you could label it a reboot, in which case I'd agree with Muzz and say that remakes are dangerous too. State the terms!
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Isn't it quite hard to find OG Souls 2 now due to Scholar being the 'main' edition, despite it being inferior?

I get and can jive with what Temps is saying.
  • Fair do's Tempy, will watch the vid shortly.  Ico/Okami and their remasters had a similar-ish problems I think, although I'm entirely going on still shots for that.
  • Like I said, I have no personal issue with remakes/remasters etc because it's an easier way to play old games. That's fine. It's just, from the academic stuff we did on this in Uni, there's an archival issue here which I think is important.
  • Hopefully the system shock 1 redo will be good.

Come games are a funny one. Also n64. The latter on virtual console upscales because, I recall, the Roms naturally upscale to match the level of hardware available. Is blur o matic Mario 64 the true vision? Or the impinged vision because the hardware was jank? Arguably you can say similar to wind waker hd. The starkness is as much because the hardware couldn't do x y z as much as intent. (Perhaps working around things creates the best thing possible as a marriage of hw and sw)

Zero mission absolutely smashes metroid out of the park.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Like I said, I have no personal issue with remakes/remasters etc because it's an easier way to play old games. That's fine. It's just, from the academic stuff we did on this in Uni, there's an archival issue here which I think is important.

Archival is going to simply require banks of original hardware or people some how being able to emulate. It is a boon and curse that game platforms evolve more quickly an than film has and the tech powering it increasingly more complicated.

Dolphin is a funny one because re:ww gcn you find people enjoy that game uprezzed and perhaps smoother frames - which were also outside original intent.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    A remaster should address technical issues.  A dodgy texture here, a framerate issue there.  A remake is something else.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Interestingly I've spent the afternoon watching Elm AV mod my famicom because fuck thr virtual console I wanna play gradius on the og system
  • If you going to do a remaster, make sure you've got the tools to achieve it.  Chucking in a few god rays, slapping on a bit of bloom and bumping up the textures a notch or two does not make a remaster. Skyrim Special Edition, I'm looking at you.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • I like how the bioshock infinite remaster on pc is basically: ah it was alright anyway.
  • FFVII remake is gonna be utter dogshit. You heard it here first, folks.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Had a dabble on BioShock there. Nice to find it for free in my Steam library. Turned everything to max and played it via Steam Link on the big TV with bone controller. Looks lovely and it's nice to be back.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Ooh how is it free?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    FFVII remake is gonna be utter dogshit. You heard it here first, folks.

This is the kind of remake I worry might taint the OG!
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Ooh how is it free?

If you already owned it there is a free update.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Happy days.
  • Yeah, saw the Bioshock remasters pop up in my Steam Library hence the thread.
    The bioshock infinite remaster hasn't shown up yet for some reason.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • I'm not sure if Infinite is getting a PC remaster. Iirc they said there wasn't anything to change or update on PC as it is much later release.
  • It's remastered for consoles I think.
  • Yeah, definitely is for consoles.
‹ Previous123

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!