Online, Offline...
‹ Previous12
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Ok... So it's not the most imaginative title, but I'm open to suggestions.

Last Gen (360/PS3) was the generation of XBL.

We were all very much encouraged to put our systems online. Multiplayer games, cheap comms, cheap (occasionally free) games, and of course, more vitally, firmware, meant that playing anything without a broadband connection was extremely difficult.

Now it's very close to impossible to play a videogame without being connected to the internet.

I haven't been playing many games recently, but when I do (usually SF5), I first have to log into Steam (online), and the the SF5 server itself.
    If either of those systems are down, then I don't bother playing the game... My achievements aren't persisted, and I can't play against anyone...

This never used to bother me, and until recently, I thought I was in someway unaffected by the whole achievement/multiplayer paradigm...
    I tried to convince myself that XBL was for kids... Not me. But I was wrong, and the change in my mindset was almost imperceptible.

That's not the only issue though. Firmware updates now mean that games systems just won't work without an online connection.

So with that being the case, do we think that the games industry as it stands right now (with it's CoDs and Fifas at one end, and The Last Guardian at the other) is taking full advantage of digital revolution?

At one time, one would argue that Nintendo and Sega et al were at the forefront of applied HCI, in the consumer market at least...
    But right now, even some of the very latest games (VR stuff included) almost seem like an anachronism when compared to what the likes of Google, Facebook and Apple are doing now, because of their willingness to embrace the internet.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I thought you were starting a thread to try and get quoted in the magazine
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Is this going to be one of those threads where people list loads of companies doing new and innovative stuff, then conclude it's the big players being overly cautious because of shareholders and the like?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I thought someone had added up all our mentions and we finally had a winner. Shittest thread title of the year award.
  • I was quoted once by edge.
    Can't remember what it was about but I was quoted!
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'm pretty sure if be in the top 3. Worst posters of all time
  • Reg won by miles, surely. 

My first appearance was about boobs.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Reg and Nox duked it out some years back; either Reg cried or Nox got bored and went looking for a plough to have sex on, but it was never quite resolved.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • I were quoted 3 times.
    Ok... So it's not the most imaginative title, but I'm open to suggestions. Last Gen (360/PS )   
    1.) was the generation of XBL. 
     We were all very much encouraged to put our systems online. Multiplayer games, cheap comms, cheap  
     (2.)occasionally free) games, and of course, more vitally, firmware, meant that playing anything without a broadband connection was extremely difficult. Now it's very close to impossible to play a videogame without being connected to the internet. I haven't been playing many games recently, but when I do (usually SF5), I first have to log into Steam (online), and the the SF5 server itself. If either of those systems are down, then I don't bother playing the game... My achievements aren't persisted, and I can't play against anyone... This never used to bother me, and until recently, I thought I was in someway unaffected by the whole achievement/multiplayer paradigm... I tried to convince myself that XBL was for kids... Not me. But I was wrong, and the change in my mindset was almost imperceptible. That's not the only issue though. Firmware updates now mean that games systems just won't work without an online connection. So with that being the case, do we think that the games industry as it stands right now 
    3.) (with it's CoDs and Fifas at one end, and The Last Guardian at the other) is taking full advantage of digital revolution?
     4.)  At one time, one would argue that Nintendo and Sega et al were at the forefront of applied HCI, in the consumer market at least... But right now, even some of the very latest games (VR stuff included) almost seem like an anachronism when compared to what the likes of Google, Facebook and Apple are doing now, because of their willingness to embrace the internet.

1.) and psn.
    2.) free games every month, 6 in my case as i owned ps4, ps3 and vita.
    3.) All my games are digital, so very much so but cod and fifa are shite and bought yearly by muppets who know no better.
    4.) im not sure exactly what your getting at here but in an effort to keep the conversation going im just going to point out that google and facebook are internet based companies whos buisness is the internet.
    Sony are a hardware company whos come in to this buisness of being online and will be forever behind these huge behemoths of the internet, but at least there pushing tech and there servers for online/ downloads etc have improved since last gen.
    Microsoft are a software company who biggest buisness is in windows operating system im led to believe, i think xbox live hasn't improved but steadly got worse since last gen as wittned here and on neogaf with the amount of times its been down etc.
    Both sony and microsoft have there hands in many pies wether it be mobile phones, tvs, vr or hololens. 

All just opinions and stuff but watch this get ripped to pieces.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I really haven't noticed a decline in Xbox Live, if anything it's got better what with MS offering dedicated servers to companies.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    That was predictable.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    S'true. Live had outages in the 360 era, it has outages today. I can't claim to have noticed them happening with greater frequency.
  • Yeah Live really hasn't gotten worse, the demands of it I'd imagine are more than ever and I think it's only been down for an extended period when that group made attacks over the festive period.

The current gen of consoles is very probably my favourite for a number of reasons, some being because of the ease of access and use to my catalogue of games, variety of marketplaces I can get via funny means, the always online nature and recognition of profiles abs access, it's all seamless and it makes the entire gaming experience easier.

Never has it been easier or quicker to get to exactly what I want when I want from a console. And I doubt I've ever put as much time into gaming as I have this gen.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I did get a letter in there once and they even credited it to C Beard, which I thought was a nice touch
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    The point of this thread?

Remember how EA made a huge effort to explain the benefit of a centralised server before launching Tittyfall? Or Crackdown 3's proposed cloud rendering system? The popularity of Advance Wars By Web and other browser based games? Day one patches?

All a far cry from £60 cartridges, regional releases, and guarantees of x hours of gameplay...

Thought it was all worth a discussion, because this year's E3 offered nothing new. VR aside.
  • Yeah but were you ever in online/offline
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    This online offline argument needs to be answered once and for all. Somebody said they were dumping an entire collection of the magazine. Collate the data before doing that. And then report back. Whoever you are.
  • I originally registered for the EDGE forum because I thought ubermod's comments in online/offline were funny, I never thought I'd get to meet the man himself.
  • Verecocha wrote:
    Yeah Live really hasn't gotten worse, the demands of it I'd imagine are more than ever and I think it's only been down for an extended period when that group made attacks over the festive period.

The current gen of consoles is very probably my favourite for a number of reasons, some being because of the ease of access and use to my catalogue of games, variety of marketplaces I can get via funny means, the always online nature and recognition of profiles abs access, it's all seamless and it makes the entire gaming experience easier.

Never has it been easier or quicker to get to exactly what I want when I want from a console. And I doubt I've ever put as much time into gaming as I have this gen.

That would probably explain it and i agree with pretty much everythi g said here.
    The point of this thread?

Remember how EA made a huge effort to explain the benefit of a centralised server before launching Tittyfall? Or Crackdown 3's proposed cloud rendering system? The popularity of Advance Wars By Web and other browser based games? Day one patches?

All a far cry from £60 cartridges, regional releases, and guarantees of x hours of gameplay...

Thought it was all worth a discussion, because this year's E3 offered nothing new. VR aside.

Crackdowns cloud rendering has been awol, has there been any mention of it lately.
    Looks like it coyld be dropped completely and crackdown pushed to project scorpio as a launch title.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    ?

What's that based on?
  • AFAIK, Crackdown's clodtech was never to do with rendering, but to do with physics processing and destruction.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    ? What's that based on?

lolgic
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    TheDJR wrote:
    I originally registered for the EDGE forum because I thought ubermod's comments in online/offline were funny, I never thought I'd get to meet the man himself.

hahaha, of all the heroes to have

Kinda miss him though
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    djchump wrote:
    AFAIK, Crackdown's clodtech was never to do with rendering, but to do with physics processing and destruction.

Processing AI in the 'clod' might also work extremely well.

Imagine what you can do with all the data you can squeeze out of the playing community. Like, how advanced is that Forza drivitar feature? A race driving AI that can compete with the best Forza players would be an interesting thing.

You'd need the interwebs to pull that off (for now, at least). Though you wouldn't need to stay online to enjoy the rest of the game.

But it's probably not as cool a USP as the obvious visual impact of a physics engine that can't be solved on the client system.

That gives you a clear reason to stay online. Much like multiplayer features do, and episodic gaming might.

And yeah. I got on 'Online/Offline' once, but nowhere near as often as some of you dicks. : P
  • Like, how advanced is that Forza drivitar feature? A race driving AI that can compete with the best Forza players would be an interesting thing. You'd need the interwebs to pull that off (for now, at least).

Sigh.

No, no you wouldn't.
  • I think he's suggesting a learning algorithm that collects data from people playing against it, which would.

Edit: Although, reading it back, he might be suggesting it needs to run on the server, which it wouldn't.
  • But right now, even some of the very latest games (VR stuff included) almost seem like an anachronism when compared to what the likes of Google, Facebook and Apple are doing now, because of their willingness to embrace the internet.
    Examples please thank you.
  • AJ wrote:
    I think he's suggesting a learning algorithm that collects data from people playing against it, which would.

Or you could just programme it to be better than humanly possible, like games since they began.
  • Fuck this, I'm not getting sucked in to one of DR's insane mental spazthreads.
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!