Middle-aged Gamers' Malaise
‹ Previous1234
  • I remember when Biffo used to write a column in Edge. Most times he'd have me pissing myself with laughter. But a strange thing happened - he seemed to grow out of games - almost all of them anyway. 

When Biffo's column ended a few years ago, I remember feeling horrified that this might happen to me too. Surely I'd be gaming into my 80s and beyond? Perhaps Saturn Bomberman with the other old folk in my care home who are still nimble-fingered enough to use a gamepad.

But increasingly these days, I'm finding it harder and harder to feel enthusiastic about games. I usually force myself to finish them with gritted teeth, even if it's a game that I actually think is objectively good.

I'm working my way through the DLC in Darks Souls 2: SotfS. Well, I was. I've not played it in over a fortnight. Even knowing that I won't allow myself to start Dark Souls 3 until I finish its predecessor, I can't motivate myself to play it.

I've started Stellaris. Yeah, it's kinda fun and 10 years ago I can imagine I'd lose weeks or months to it. But it all just feels like it requires too much investment of time & energy.

I'm a few hours into SOMA. I love it - I think it's a really enjoyable experience. But I just don't feel like going back to it.

The other day I started Child of Light. Another game which a few years ago would have had me totally sucked in until I completed it. But now I'm just like "meh".

It just seems daft trying to force myself to partake of a hobby which is usually intrinsically fun and rewarding. I don't want gaming to feel just like another form of work. 

I know this problem is bad when I almost always choose to come on this forum instead of actually playing games. No offence, I'm sure all you lot are lovely :D :D

Full disclosure: I have depression and this illness commonly robs people of the joy they'd usually get from their hobbies/interests. But, the weird thing is that I'm absolutely certain I'm not depressed at the moment. In fact, life is bloody excellent right now.

I don't even have the excuse most people my age have - too little time to game. I'm incredibly lucky in that I have ridiculous amounts of free time, especially for someone in their late 30s. (Seriously, who would have children?!)

So, it seems like the scary thing is happening to me - I'm growing out of games.

I've had a couple of gaming lulls in my lifetime where I hardly gamed for months at a time. And then eventually something came along (like Halo 1 on XBox) which totally pulled me back into my love of videogames. 

Maybe this is just another lull. Who knows how long it'll last? Hopefully not forever.
  • Not sure about the rest but I am full patchy on Dark Souls. I still haven't finished the first one, with no good reason not to.
    Yet have finished 3 and a good chunk of a way through a second playthrough.
    The first took me 5 or 6 playthroughs to get me as far as I am now, I think momentum is a big thing in these games.
  • I know what I like and I know there isn't enough of it. Oh well.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    That's one of the reasons you like it though.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • No I'd like things I like to be in total abundance tbh.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I'm not sure when it'll happen but I'm sure as many of us who give a shit about games will end up involved with in some way if we aren't already.

I can't be arsed with Dark Souls, I've not had the time for games that aren't immediately rewarding or compelling for over five years and it's neither of these things- this makes me wonder about NMS and how I will receive it.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    @B Hmm, I'd have thought a degree of exclusivity was in there somewhere.

How fares the Senns and the A-gd?
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Brooks wrote:
    No I'd like things I like to be in total abundance tbh.

What do you like, just out of interest, Brooks?
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Don't ask that.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    *opens steam*

*clicks store*

*clicks search input box*

"bayonetta"

*closes steam*

sigh
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • I've been through a few phases, steadily getting more selective. 

Halo 5/Destiny as only outlet has been fine. I did start Lords of the Fallen last week, then bubs woke up and I'd managed the whole first enemy encounter/tute. fuck it. 

Apart from the mechanics of so many games being so tropey, particularly in AAA land, there's also the fact that one of the things I've laved about gaming, at least in it's online form, is teamwork/MP/objective. And guess what? IRL basketball coaching scratches that itch more than Halo, even with lovely badgers, does.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Man, I loved Bayonetta. I'm not even that good at it, but with lots of practice I managed to get a fair number of Gold statue things.

Can't be bothered to hook my 360 up though. I really hope we get a 360 emulator for PC one day.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Books and people interest me a lot more nowadays than games. It's a feeling that's exacerbated by just how many titles are released annually now to boot. Impossible to keep up even if you're a neet.

Total

Global

Saturation
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Also money.
  • Im no where near middle aged but I do find competitive online very rarely interests me anymore. It isnt even a time thing, I just don't give a shit about it.
    I think Rocket League is the only comp online I play and that is short and frantic.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Im no where near middle aged but I do find competitive online very rarely interests me anymore. It isnt even a time thing, I just don't give a shit about it.

I'm pretty much in agreement. I just can't be arsed with online FPS or such, too high paced. I've hit a point where I'm into more relaxing games I can play in bursts, or for hours if the mood takes me. I do like competitive MP I can do at my own pace though, its why TGC has hooked me so much. Aim for a score, compete against a ghost, take forever if you want.

Absolutely loving Dark Souls 3 still but I seem to play it in small sessions, clear an area, come back a few days later for the next.
  • DK3 is like that. 
    I can do multiple areas but it definitely is area based. I think it is because it ramps up, you start an area unsure of enemies and layout, put a bit of effort into learning them and the high of finding the boss is normally enough to see you past them. It is quite a traditional game in that respect, level, boss, level, boss.

So yeah I will normally end a session at the start of a new area, normally after getting destroyed on a first run.
  • I occasionally play some old strategy games on the PC but that aside my life has been video game free since about 3 weeks after GTA V came out on PS3.  I'm just not into them any more.  Thought about buying a PS4 recently as I figured there would be a load of games going cheap by now.  The thought was gone as quickly as it had come.
  • The type of games being made can be a big factor.
    I really like platformers, not a popular genre really, especially as Mario doesnt grip me (lack of plot). So today I played the Castle of Illusion remake which i thoroughly enjoyed ( up until the Queen boss had an unskippable 30 second cut scene which is infuriating). Also looking forward to Yuka-Laylee massively.

Unfortunately there really isn't much variation in the top games being made right now. MMO, Free2play and Fps are king.
  • I've usually gone with the rule of thumb, "If I liked game X in genre Y, I'll probably also like game Z that's also in genre Y."

Trouble is, at the moment I don't seem to feel much motivation to play any genre I've tried recently.

Oh, I have been playing (and loving) one game recently: Texas Hold 'Em Poker (Online, for real money).

Maybe the issue is that with poker, the sense of a tangible reward (and subsequent dopamine hit) is much more powerful than in (most) games.  I came within a hair's breadth of winning 30 Euros in a poker tournament the other night. I can't remember the last time a game gave me a similar rush.
  • I think the genre thing is a mistake I have made, even series have been a mistake.
    Prime example. I loved Halo3, played the shit out of it. Reach and 4 I found to be OK to dull. Yet I still bought an Xbox One for MCC and 5. Stupid choice. 

I reckon you should pick up some new stuff on the cheap, give it a go.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yeah new stuff is good, I'm gonna try Persona and NMS as my different genre picks this year.
  • I know this is real First World Problems territory, and I'm sorry to whinge so much, but I've got hundreds of games on Steam I've barely touched plus a few dozen PS2/Wii/GC games on emulator which are all supposedly top notch. Can't really justify buying more stuff on the off-chance it'll scratch an itch.

OK, fuck it, I'm gonna stop complaining now. :) :)

I'm gonna watch The Ginger Whinger on the new Top Gear now instead.
  • I just can't be arsed with any games other than mass effect, gears and now destiny. Im ok with that.
  • Noone is having a pop Swifty.
    I think it is a stage we all go through.
    I didnt game through the first 18 months of uni, that was easier to justify because fanny but it wasn't just that, what was hyped wasn't what gripped me.
  • I started playing ME1 a few weeks ago. I'll have to give that another go soon. Controls for your team-mates were a bit clunky, and I couldn't find all the bits to defuse a bomb in time. But it seemed to have an epic story.

I get what you guys are saying though. Maybe I ought to stop telling myself I "should" like certain games and just allow myself to like the ones I like and sod everything else.

It does seem true that in many areas of life, the older you get, the narrower your tastes become and the less willing you are to experiment.
  • ME1 is the hardest to love. I know the bit you have failed on, it is crazy early but I still fail on it sometimes.
    I would say ME1 gets better after that part. Like literally right after that.

In the entire trilogy, your team mates won't do that much in combat, I wouldn't rely on them.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    ME2 is sooooo fucking good. ME1 and 3 are shite, sadly. Wanted to like 3.
  • ME1 and 3 are good, just nowhere near the awesome that is ME2. One of the best games ever made. Truly the Empire of the trilogy.

ME1 is worth playing to carry on to ME2 and ME3 is worth playing to finish ME2's story lines.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Firewatch bowled me over like Journey bowled me over.

Emotion is more these days, even Emily is Away is comparable
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    My sisters lad likes CoD and laughs at the zombie/alien combo, that tells me everything I need to know that I'm not missing out.

I've never really gone in for multiplayer, and whilst when I have with youse, I've found it very boring, not youse but the idea of needing to be in a place only to be confronted with either downloads or lobbies or lag or other such impediments outway the actual time split when it comes down to a good game. Whilst I am sure it's better, I'd rather just have the odd unexpected realisation that I am top, bottom or in between of a leaderboard. I guess that's why I have hope for NMS. 

It's a akin to to early web platform tick based strategies and leading hundreds of players via IRC and text messages to coordinate massive damage. It was just ridonk to be responsible for that. @3nigma had it worse with germans calling him up at silly o'clock moaning about retaliation attacks then planning a response that would have an eight hour lead in so would take up much of the day.

I was much happier in CS source where hundreds would dip in and out of our servers for a crack of FPS when it suited.

The whole scheduled gaming thing doesn't work for me online, although if I LAN party up then I see the fun in it as I do local co-op but generally as a result of realtime multiplayer I fundamentally turned off, I need a good campaign or I need to be compelled to need to be online for something. Journey got that right, considering my expectations, and I expect Dark Souls gets that right too but that game just seems to be a bitter High Fidelity generation that's prepared to tell its veterans that their opinions are invalid.

I don't get gears either, it's one button suits all, whilst almost a free running mechanism just detracted from an already tired genre and thus felt masked as opposed to refreshed, unlike Mirror's Edge which was genuinely refreshing but was poorly received.

SIGH
‹ Previous1234

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!