PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Resources: Time Line of Events

** Needless to say this thread is going to contain immense story spoilers, so proceed with caution. **
    guardians-battle-beast-destiny.jpg

It has long been a point of focus for the community to discuss Destiny's story, and apparent lack thereof. From the initial launch many people sited the immediately visible story as underwhelming and thin, an observation I also alluded to, which in hindsight and having experience with the Dark Souls series was a poor call. I've occasionally delved into the Grimoire section on Bungie.net to research characters of interest or points in the World that I'm not familiar with. I had heard of the Book of Sorrow snippets being divulged with Calcified Fragment finds, but was waiting until I had them all to read in full.

However, after reading Verse 1 I couldn't help myself and quickly Googled the remaining versus I had not acquire yet. If you're interested in finding out more yourself a simple search will reveal all, however this YouTubers channel has an extended playlist covering all verses therein: Myelin Games: Destiny Book of Sorrows - I'll link the videos independently at the bottom of the post. I finished watching sometime last night and was left with a lot to ponder.

Destiny-concept-art-1.jpg

** This is where I'm going to talk in detail about spoilers so you have been warned. **
    Having finished all verses I found myself lying in bed thinking about the game I've been playing for the past 16 months and how it's now been forever changed for me. The last time lore directly affected my emotional connection with a game on this level was Dark Souls, and in some respects I think The Book of Sorrows surpasses the former.  The first emotion that came to be was insignificance. As a Guardian, as a Human. Within the larger tale of The Book of Sorrows we are but a grain of sand, only present for a fraction of the events that started out on The Fundament all those millennia ago.

I'm still sitting here as I type this pondering the grandness of it all. When you read or observe the book in total you'll understand what I mean - the closest work of literature to it I can think of is Tolkien's The Silmarillion, both in terms of (impressionable) scope and resonance. 

There are many points to talk about within the Book, I'm only going to pick two to begin. Again, huge major spoilers. The Fundament (as I had imagined it from the text) is a large Gas Giant, many times the size of our own Jupiter that houses species from all corners of the galaxy, many of whom are not inherently native to The Fundament. One of those races were the Krill. It would take up too much time to go into specific detail so please go read the Book of Sorrows or watch Myelin Games YouTube videos get a more rounded view on events. Needless to say, this race ultimately became The Hive we now know, the events that lead to this are tragic in my eyes.

What it came to in the end was a choice, a choice that was influenced by The Krill's will to save a species from extension. A choice that lead three Krill Princesses' to The Deep where they encountered (at this point) for all intent's and purposes agents of The Darkness. Obviously at this stage they were unaware of what was in play, having also been spoken to on the way down by an (as we find out later) agent of The Light - it comes to pass that at this very point a decision was made that altered the flow of time and outcome of the Universe, and ultimately the extinction of thousands of species.

Ironically Oryx was the one sister that had reservations on their fate once the tasks and 'purposes' had been allocated to them by The Darkness for gifting The Krill with the ability to save their species. Once Oryx received The God King and began to fulfill his fate he dived deeper and deeper into the rabbit hole so to speak. Having come into The Taken King with little or no knowledge of Oryx and The Hive, and having defeated Crota previously this once 'full-time evil' faction within the universe I suddenly find myself extremely conflicted on events.

As a closing point, The Touch of Malice was Oryx's way of ensuring his immortality should he ever be physically defeated. With it, his power and will, mission and philosophy. The question now is, as it's inheritors what will our fate as Guardians be. Will we become detached from reality after millennia of waging war, as Oryx did.

Obviously this is just a fraction of what's taken place within The Book of Sorrows and I'd be extremely interested in discussing it in more detail, I find it a fascinating commentary on the corruption of power and the power of corruption. Are The Darkness and The Light and different? The Traveller was willing to wipe out trillions of life forms to keep The Darkness submerged within The Deep of The Fundament, how is this action any different that Oryx's mission to purge The Universe of unworthy life-forms.

And then there's the entry on The Vex. wow.

r4MjRYz.jpg
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    ** Needless to say this thread is going to contain immense story spoilers, so proceed with caution. **

There's a story??
  • Nice haak. I dare not read the lore as it sounds like a dense forest and I may never find my way out.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I'm just dropping in to witness the outraged reaction to another Destiny thread.

Carry on.
  • Great post Haak, it's great you've put so much effort in. I'll certainly be looking into it as I do love an expanded universe.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Mate, if you want to see effort watch the video playlist I linked. The amount of research is vast.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    I'm just dropping in to witness the outraged reaction to another Destiny thread.

Carry on.

To clarify - my post above was one of outrage
  • The biggest issue of course is that this isn't transmitted to you, or even available in game.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    @Dante

This is a discussion I had with another player. The historical value of the content in The Book of Sorrows directly affects your outlook on Destiny, it's waring factions, history and your place in it - as well as your ability to have empathy for The Hive.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

Carry on.

To clarify - my post above was one of outrage

I know, but I'm sure one will be along soon.
  • The biggest issue of course is that this isn't transmitted to you, or even available in game.

Pretty much.

This stuff is epic, fascinating. 

SO WHY THE FUCK IS NONE OF IT IN THE FUCKING GAME?
  • Speedhaak wrote:
    @Dante This is a discussion I had with another player. The historical value of the content in The Book of Sorrows directly affects your outlook on Destiny, it's waring factions, history and your place in it - as well as your ability to have empathy for The Hive.

Having gone through it all then, how do you reckon this could be best put into the game, even if it is in Destiny 2, rather than patching the current one?

Everyone I know who has delved into the lore says that it is fascinating. It's a shame then that 95% of players will never have the first clue what is going on. I didn't even know what calcified fragments were until someone told me.
  • I didn't even know what calcified fragments were until someone told me.

Umm....I still don't know what they are.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    @Dante

Good question. I'd like to have a crack of this. The only issue I currently see with the lore is that it is highly descriptive and deep much like The Silmarillion I referenced above.

However, part of having the Book of Sorrows removed from our immediate consumption helps create this separative perspective and ultimately lends to the literature feeling old and poignant. If we were to play out the scenes from The Book of Sorrows through game play and remove the ability for our imaginations to create the space surrounding it, I feel as though some of the magic would be lost. 

I suspect the world built in my head of The Fundament and the stories that came after are substantially different to yours. Having aid that, a possible game play solution as requested.

The solution in my opinion is already present, however - much like I said above I think the key to having the lore resonate in such a way is to restrict it to text or audio format, removing any visual communication. So, how do we do this? Well, we use The Ghost. The Ghost is not only the product of The Light and our ancestor but a perfect narrative tool to inform the player of lore while facilitating a factual role himself.

As Tomb Raider has shown us recently, a game doesn't necessarily always need to be action focused. They could very well provide incentive for players to explore the over-worlds in Destiny by introducing lore into general gameplay. 

An example of this would have been when you scan the statues before facing the final Oryx battle in single player. Ghost gives a brief description of what we are potentially looking at but does not expand beyond a basic character reference. The best examples of great lore building I've found have always been providing players with incentive beyond gameplay rewards, the incentive should be in knowledge and the ability to absorb the World you occupy.

For me now personally, I will never look at the world of Destiny the same after realising the contents of these books. And I agree, it's almost criminal the general public will never know about any of that content.

This isn't a new problem though, Dark Souls suffered a similar faith.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    ** Needless to say this thread is going to contain immense story spoilers, so proceed with caution. ** There's a story??
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Slow hand clap.
  • Is it April 1st already?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    This forum's irritation was vastly more amusing than the repetition of a joke that was already old a year ago. Step it up.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Imagine how it feels when I'm asked if the WiiU is out yet.
  • Well, is it?
  • Oh snap, Yossy
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Peace out, ding dongs
  • I applaud the op's efforts, but I find all that shit dull as fuq.
  • "Book of Sorrows" isn't a euphemism for the actual game thread, wut.
  • Don't they have Wikipedia in the future? Should be able to bring up the book of sorrows whilst checking my guardian emails and read when taking a shit.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    I can see this is going to be a roaring success.
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    Don't they have Wikipedia in the future? Should be able to bring up the book of sorrows whilst checking my guardian emails and read when taking a shit.

What's your GT? Why not add me, legaldinho
  • Speedhaak wrote:
    I can see this is going to be a roaring success.

I'm gonna look at it all today dude, got the day off so will spend some time looking at it all and letting it envelop me.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    You should. Be interesting to discuss it with someone :)
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!