The Fallout 4 *Spoilers* Thread.
  • All in here so I can ignore this thread please!

:)
  • The bad man shot my wife in the head and took my baby!!

Feels so good to say that without reprieve. Hmm my insides are all wrong.
    Gamertag, PSN, NNID: mikemsp            3DS code: 3668 - 8117 - 9395

Currently playing: Bone
  • Cryogenic suspension has no place here, so fuck off Bethesda you don't have the chops for the IP anymore. This is fucking cop out city. 

That introduction was fucking shit and served no purpose, the game could have started with you waking up, I feel nothing for my wife and child or the neighbours or even that my lovely american dream life was bombed to fuck because I only lived it for 5 minutes and in that time the vault tec salesman came and did terrible fucking obvious foreshadowing of the nuclear attack that you know has to happen anyway because its the key fucking world event of the whole 'franchise'.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Nah it's totally shot itself in the foot. This guy basically did the equivalent of the Darth Vader nooooooooo during the death of his wife. 

Fuck out of here with this shlock you hack frauds. The writers have drunk all the kool aid.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Yeah I think it's time for that RPG trope - where you have an urgent task to take care of, but there's an unspoken rule that you can pot around with side quests before you get around to it - to go.  Well it was time to go by Baldur's Gate 2 at the very least, and that was 15 years ago now!

Can look past it, since it's been a thing in so many RPG's over the years, but it really shouldn't be happening any more.

I do like Fallout 1's "We're going to run out of fresh water!  In 6 months.  Please look into that." - it's a pretty high stakes scenario and gives you plenty of time to do your own thing if you wish to.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • For me the introduction has two problems. One, it imposes a character with a known history and identity on you in a series where you have been up to this point a blank slate that you fill in as the player. The second problem is that the setup of the character identity and the event that kicks the storyline off gave me blandular fever. 

It tries to force you into feeling something twice during the introduction and it fails both times because the game makes no effort to make you feel like you have any connection with the world and your wife and kid in the 15 minutes you spend with them before the bomb goes off and wipes out your home and then your kid is ripped from your wife's arms as she is shot in the head. 

It's as though the writers are literally saying 'Oh look your nice home got blown up, THIS IS SAD' 'Oh look your wife is killed in front of you and your newborn son is kidnapped! YOU ARE MAD CUZ BAD THEREFORE SAD' but it falls completely fucking flat because in 15 minutes what bond do you expect me to establish with my home and my wife and son when all there is to do is walk around have a few bits of random dialogue, and I do mean random, just a few sentences of inane small talk with your wife is all you get.

Since the developers are not giving you the blank slate character to fill in, if they wanted to give you a character with a history and make you connect with things in such a small space of time then the ante has to be ramped up dramatically. This is how I would have started the game:

The whole bit with your house and the bomb and running to the vault is cut completely. The game starts with you coming to in the cryopod seeing the woman in the pod opposite you struggling with someone who is trying to take the kid. They can establish it is your wife and son by having you screaming out their names, pounding on the door, making sure to show the ring on your finger, and you screaming all manner of threats at the people through the glass. 

The death of your wife needs to have all the impact possible as we are literally waking up into some kind of nightmare. When the guy shoots her in the head, there could at least have been a bid of red splashed around, it's completely baffling to me that there is no blood at all when the scene is trying (and failing) to be in some way shocking to you as the player. For good measure have your now lifeless wife slump unceremoniously out of the cryochamber instead of just going into a fucking whack babies first day in the office corspe pose and remaining upright. 

Then your pod door can open and screaming/wailing you can slump out to your knees bawling and cradle the now dead love of your life for the last time. Since we've got a first person viewpoint we might as well use it to some effect and watch as we gently brush her hair out of her face. Now I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't leave my wife as a frozen corpse in a vault after seeing her killed and immediatly depart on my mission of revenge. I would like to bury my wife if she died. Maybe we can carry her out of the vault, maybe as we're making our way out we can occasionally look down at her in our arms and recount some touching moment, or an in-joke that we shared, we can display all kinds of sentiment that would help us feel like there was some connection between these two people. All of the combat tutorials and all that shit can happen later after we go home and find giant roaches in the ruins of our house instead of encountering them in the vault. We can carry our wife all the way home if we want, home isn't far, I'm sure she'd like to be buried in the garden of our idyllic house where we shared all the happy times. 

I mean or we could do it Bethesda's way, where I left my frozen wife corpse in a cryo pod and went home for a conversation with my robot butler who is all emotional about being alone (and for some reason the only surviving Mr. Handy in the presumably reasonably affluent neighbourhood). 

I mean, compare the fecal matter that is your introduction to the world in Fallout 4 to Fallout 3. In Fallout 3 you have to go find Dad, but they at least have you go through some elements of bonding with Liam Neeson first. Your born into the world, your mother dies during childbirth, your dad raises you on his own, you take your first steps with him, have a kids birthday party and then move on to your 'highschool graduation' bit of your life. When it all kicks off you're able to at least feel some connection with the events in the game, it's not amazing storytelling or character development by any stretch of the imagination, but compared to frozen pod wife its fucking masterful.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    That first Deathclaw meeting, is it supposed to be scary/hard? I'm on Normal but I just stood next to it in my power suit firing my minigun and watched its health go in about ten seconds.
  • I nearly got killed by it but that's because it cornered me and spammed its 'lift you up and fuck you up' attack, so I followed suit and spammed stimpaks and shot it in the head. 

The combat in this, at least the real-time bit still feels very disconnected. They really should have put the gamebryo engine or whatever it's called now, to bed. Not enough to ruin things but it was a shoddy engine in 2005 and patching it up doesn't disguise that fact. 

Now please Bethesda take it round the back of the office and shoot it in the head, preferably with VATs, lots of eyeballs and blood involved, it'd die happy.

• What a difference a day makes, I guess. Mayber. 

All I did tonight was finish talking to fucking Codsworth who is a complete cretin, and then wandered through the gas station found my doge and then went to Concord and did their little storyline. It was for the most part a very Fallout feeling few hours. With a few gripes.

So I'll do the good stuff  first. I quite like the little rag tag minutemen group they have going there, the dialogue between all the members was about a billion times better than the stupid fucking inane banter between you, your spouse and randoms during the intro sequence. I especially like crackhead mystic old lady in the pink slippers. I actually followed the group back to Sanctuary and their incidental bits of dialogue on the way was a nice addition. 

I also have to say that the power armour bit was really well done - as a set piece by Fallout standards I think the only time anything in the series has come close to it was the Liberty Prime battle against the Enclave in Fallout 3. The deathclaw picking you up and tossing you round like a rag doll looked fantastic in first person and I really hope that they weren't just scripted attacks for this fight or I will be sad. The entire power armour iron man style approach is just fucking tops and it felt really good to smack raiders up with my giant armoured fists, popping heads and tearing limbs off and then emptying the minigun into the face of the deathclaw who actually was moving around and trying to evade the bullets instead of traditional Fallout running in a straight line at me and then clipping melee attacks through me until I died. I like the way the armour plating gets ripped off and I like the way you have to keep the thing fueled and presumably have to find replacement parts for the armour that gets torn off. All of that was brilliant but read on for the beginning of the niggly gripes that the game continues to throw up. 

Oh one last thing, the new way you can mix and match under and over layers of armour is really good if you are a fashion souls kind of a guy, and let me tell you, when it comes to Fallout I love fashion souls faggotry. 

No sorry one extra thing, I mentioned it in the other thread but just to reiterate, THE CRITICAL HIT UNARMED COMBAT STUFF IS FUCKING SWEET BROS.

My first gripe is that the logic of some of the mission structure in Concord was dumb. When the guys ask you to retrieve a fusion core, they say they can't get the one downstairs because they aren't hackers or lock pickers, well neither am I, those were novice locks guys you could have opened them, pretty sure there are bobby pins and at least one screwdriver in the building as I was walking through it. Or they could have hacked the terminal, just a novice level terminal, and the one the tech guy is using when you meet them is also a novice terminal, and he's typing away pages of text on there just fine. But that's kind of a minor thing. It would have been better overall if the core wasnt in the basement and you had to use the one you can scavenge out of the cave under the red rocket garage on the way in. Putting the fusion core downstairs in the same building as the minutemen was a bit of a cop out imho. 

My second problem is that I feel like that deathclaw and power armour fight was the game shooting it's wad waaaaay too early. I now have a semi functional suit of power armour with a repair bay conveniently just down the road in Sanctuary. I am going to be annoyed if I find that I can repair the armour with low tech stuff. Like I said before, if you arent bothered about the lore and the Fallout world it's probably not a big deal. But having the equipment to repair some of the most advanced technology available pre-war in someone's garage in your starting town is just fucking stupid. About as stupid as the notion that the vertibird and the armour have sat up there on top of the building for 200 years and have managed to evade the clutches of the Brotherhood of Steel or the Enclave in that period of time. The only two factions in Fallout really who have the capability to maintain any of the pre-war high tech stuff like the power armour, the vertibirds and even the energy weapons, although as the games have gone on the energy weapons have become more and more common because lazer and plasma pewpewpew is kewl, I guess. Anyway, yeah, the fuck will that stuff have stayed up there unmolested for 200 years, even if the Enclave or the Brotherhood didn't find it, most people know what power armour is, what vertibirds are and know they're worth a ton of money even if they don't work. It was a cool fight, but I felt the situation was pretty contrived. 

Final gripe is that crafting villages and shit can do one. It feels like it's been stuck in for the sake of sticking it in, I'm supposed to be on a quest to find my son, I'm not here to do a series of This Old House with Steve and 'Nahm.

Oh and if you havent tried it yet, check out the female protag, she fucking wrecks the dude at the voice acting, I can't can't go back to him, he seems like a beta douche in comparison to what I can only describe as femshep 2.0.
  • I'm enjoying these Roujposts, please continue
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Aye, keep on it Rouj. Kinda feel sad I missed being tossed around by the Deathclaw now, although I did meet and kill it in a tunnel it didn't really fit in.
  • Wasn't aware of a basement under the garage, was worth reading the rant just for that! Will take a look.

• Mikemsp wrote:
    Wasn't aware of a basement under the garage, was worth reading the rant just for that! Will take a look.

I was aware of it because the protag mentions something about it, Couldn't find a way in though.

Machette V.A.T.S kills are great.

Had an encounter with a mireluk queen, couldn't even scratch it.
  • There's a PC in the garage, if you hack it you can read the logs and one of them talks about shoving some waste barrels in a cave underneath the garage. If you go out the back of the garage and walk a few mentres then turn back round you should see the entrance to the cave, it's also got glowing green mushrooms coming out of it, which makes it easy to spot at night.
  • 3ji63d8.gif

• I just joined a cult!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!