La Mulana (Ex)
‹ Previous12
  • La Mulana Ex is a huge nonlinear 2D action adventure platformer thing, with hints of Super Metroid and much older 8 bit games. The original La Mulana is a 2005 PC game. 'Ex' is an updated version for your Vita, and happens to be free on PS+ this month (Sept 2015). 

Basically, you explore ancient ruins with your Indiana Jones type character, dealing with traps and monsters, unlocking treasure chests through puzzles, and finding new items that power you up or grant access to new areas and solutions. There are lots of hints, but it never really tells you what to do - taking notes would probably be advisable, but we could just discuss it on here instead...

23vff52.jpg

2k0b9f.jpg

I'm currently about 15 hours in, and still not near the end. It's huge, and tough, and sometimes bewildering, but it's a great exploration game. 

I'm happy to add tips to the OP to get people started, and would gladly take help from anyone who's got further in.

General Beginner's Tips:

There's not much to do on the surface to start with except go in all the tents (press up) to speak to folk and shop. The elder should give you what you need to enter the ruins.

You'll want the scanner and translator programme asap to make progress in the ruins (may need to save a bit of money first). When you get in the ruins scan any stone tablet and skeleton that you come across. Also scan the save point on the surface and any others you find. You can also often scan things like statues and murals in the background.

You can buy wooden blocks in one shop for placing on pressure switches (press down), and you should always have a few handy. Sometimes monsters drop them as well.

The Buckler for sale in one of the shops is a shield you can equip as a sub-weapon and use to block certain projectiles. Not very important at this stage.

The first part of the ruins, The Gate of Guidance, is the place to be for now. There's no need to go to any other areas until you've done a good chunk of it, although there are a few bits that won't be accessible till later. Following the hints from scanning should see you through it.

When you solve a puzzle that cracks opens a chest, you still have to whip the chest to get the loot.

And look out for breakable walls, ceilings etc. It's worth hitting stuff just to check a lot of the time. However, in some rooms there's an eye on the wall and if you hit certain 'sacred' objects it will strike you down with lightning, for severe damage.

You'll notice that monsters drop green orbs sometimes. These fill a gauge under your HP gauge. Basically, when that bar is full it refills your HP and then resets to 0.

Don't forget the hot spring on the surface - a few screens left of the save point. You can recharge HP here at any time. Always pop back if you're running low.
  • Sounds like my kinda game. I shall download it post haste and add it to my PoS and not play it for years.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Sounds like a plan.

Edit: TBH, I don't expect this to be a particularly busy thread.
  • Honestly thought you'da dealt with this one already Jibs.

The best current Metroids are Souls games, but this was always a sound, and occasionally pretty fucking hard, proposition too. Sequel been under development for a while now, will likely give it some when it finally hits the outside.
  • I wasn't really aware of it until it turned up on Plus this month. Probably would've bought it earlier otherwise. I'm not really up on these things.

A slightly more signposted sequel would certainly be welcome.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'll be having another crack this evening. Not found much at all so far - tried the surface, went deep, not sure I've found the "right" way to go.

Bronze circle thing - am I meant to do something with it?

You the right was a lift thing with a box at the top - anyone got that open?

And the warpy thing, is that easy to find?
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    The original is one of the highest rated indie games of all time.
    I wonder how different it is to the remake?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Graphics and sound. The remake was done with real TLC, to the extent that I'm not sure it's really worth playing the original now.

Total changelist here.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    I'll be having another crack this evening. Not found much at all so far - tried the surface, went deep, not sure I've found the "right" way to go. Bronze circle thing - am I meant to do something with it? You the right was a lift thing with a box at the top - anyone got that open? And the warpy thing, is that easy to find?
    There's not much to do on the surface to start with except go in all the tents (press up) to speak to folk and shop.

You'll want the scanner and translator programme asap to make progress in the ruins. When you get there scan any stone tablet and skeleton that you come across. Also scan the save point on the surface and any others you find.

You can also buy wooden blocks for placing on pressure switches (press down), and you should always have a few handy. Sometimes monsters drop them as well.

Not sure about the bronze circle, unless you mean the Buckler that you can buy from one of the shops. That's a shield you can equip as a sub-weapon and use to block certain projectiles. Not very important at this stage.

The first part of the ruins, The Gate of Guidance, is the place to be for now. There's no need to go to any other areas until you've done a good chunk of it, although there are a few bits that won't be accessible till later. Following the hints from scanning should see you through it.

Also, you've probably already noticed, but when you solve a puzzle that opens a chest you still have to whip the chest to get the loot.
  • I'll add these and other beginner's tips to the OP.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Ta.  No, not the buckler, there's something quite near the entrance with a circle on the background, but I can't work out if / how to interract with it.

Yep, knew about needing to whip the chest - but it's not always obvious how to do so :-).  Even in the Gate of Guidance there are a few different routes etc. from my brief reckie, so will be fun to find my bearings.  Need the translation book still (there are two?).  When you die, is there any souls-style keeping items, or do you lose everything?
  • When you die you return to your last save, with whatever you had then. I think it makes an automatic checkpoint whenever you pass in front of a save point (if you've scanned it?) as well, for a quick restart.

At the moment, you just need the scanner from one shop and the computer programme from another shop which translates the stone tablets. Once you've got those sorted you'll be away.
  • Oh yeah, I think I know the bronze circles you mean now.

You can scan it, but as you'll probably gather from the info it gives, it's not something you can do much with yet.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yeah, ok, scanned the bronze thing, need some symbol which (as you expected) I don't have.

Then got the translatey thing, so i can now read lots of stuff, and got as far as getting the warpy thing too.  I opened a secret stairway down to a room with nothing in (looks like a boss room, but no boss?), and a few other secrets, but not sure where exactly to head next.  There's some kind of puzzle with stones in mouths (to activate a lift, maybe?), but I can't figure out how to do it.  And plenty of places which seems a bit blocked off.  So, hmm, I guess some more wandering around?!
  • The stones in mouths thing just involves destroying a block IIRC.

There's also some stuff to do if you head down, towards the bottom left part of the area.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Ah I need to hit those things in a particular order do I? Must have missed a message? Kept getting zapped!
  • Yeah, there's a tablet or skeleton that tells you the order somewhere around there. I got stuck there for a good while too.

I've been playing quite a bit this morning again. At this stage I'm playing with a gamefaqs guide open on the Vita browser, trying to do as much as possible without it, but having to refer to it now and again. Some of the puzzles later on expect you to remember fairly small details from all over the map, which would have involved taking extensive notes from the start.

It's a shame it doesn't record all the scans you've made so you can access them at any time, given what it expects of you sometimes.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I put this down not long back. Hoping to have not charged my Vita in vain and am able to put in a session or two.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Good thread, good game.

I'm stuck in the first area. I've got the jewel/stone but no idea where to use it. Assume it releases something in Snake Sanctuary, which is oddly empty at the moment.

And I hate the red skeletons.
  • I think you need to kill those.

As for the red jewel thing:
    Spoiler:
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I've now killed that boss. Some slightly cheap
    Spoiler:
    involved. I've gone to the Tower of giants or something, where I don't yet have a map and haven't really got my bearings, and have idea what to do, and keep finding cryptic messages. Hmm.
  • I liked that section. It's fairly straightforward once you've explored it.

A word of warning though, and something I have unfortunately fallen foul of without realising:
    Spoiler:
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    heh yeah I saw warning of that - have read it once, hope I remember not to do so again!!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I've strayed into a couple of areas that look completely different - all colourful and jolly.  How big is the game in total??
  • Thanks for spoiler tagging.  Not going to read it yet.

EDIT: yes, red skeletons had been killed - just hate them.

Good news is I found the hidden path, bad news is that I'd already opened the chests by whipping them through the walls - so no gold for me.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    How big is the game in total??
    Very. Bigger than you'd expect for this sort of game anyway.
  • Found 2nd half of hidden path - snakes down.

Really clever first world.
  • I did a particularly tough boss earlier. Very glad to get that one done after numerous attempts. I think I've done 6 major bosses now.
  • Didn't get anywhere in the Water level, so having go at the giants.  Lots of messages on the tablets so I'm taking screenshots of them.
  • Not a bad idea.

And the Giants thing is the second area.

I'm some 25 hours in and perhaps not far from the end. Making progress mostly by using a guide though, since it's crazy obscure.

If I had the patience to write everything down, try all sorts of items in different places and wander about looking for new stuff that's opened up it would be great. It's the sort of thing that would've seen me through a whole summer holiday as a kid, but when I've got less time and need to feel I'm not wasting it gamefaqs is a necessity. I've come too far to give up now.
  • Now I'm stuck.  But having this on the Vita with suspend means I can pick it up and put it down at any time.
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!