Deus Ex
‹ Previous123456714
  • maxresdefault.jpg

"[Deadelus, the self aware AI] learned how grim a place the world was for most people -- what with war, disease, famine, poverty, crime -- and it seemed these problems were getting worse, not better, despite the existence of the secret societies theoretically in charge of the whole mess. In fact, the ruthlessness of world leaders -- their willingness to sacrifice millions of people, if that's what it took to achieve their goals -- seemed less than human to the inhuman Daedelus."

Extract from the Deus Ex bible

Deus Ex is an action role playing game crossed with a first person shooter, originally published on PC in June 2000 by Eidos Interactive and developed by Ion Storm. I remember my older brother playing it at that time and us all finding the intricate systems and heavy amount of writing inscrutable but mysteriously appealing. Only last year did I pick up the game myself - on the far lesser PS2 version (via PSN) - and I couldn't stop playing it until the point it ranked in my top 5 games of all time.

It's deliriously ambitious and not without its flaws, but for every too-long military base section, there are handfuls of wonderful throwaway ideas. Neatly designed systems dovetail with thought-provoking writing and there's a cold glassiness to the tone and look of it that keep your disbelief locked away. And it does something so well that so many games still do so badly - the implementation of consequence to player choice, both narratively and mechanically, that give you this feeling of (appropriately) agency. You have to make tough choices that lock off parts of the game but you're never punished for doing so, instead you start to see the world a bit differently. A bit like how magic mushrooms are easier to spot and pick when your massively high on them. A bit.

What I really mean is the developer thought of everything. If you take the route of becoming a hacker, there will always be a not-too-obvious way of using that skill to resolve a given situation. You can't min max it, which is good because fuck that. Instead you make your choices that have a meaningful impact on how you play.

I'm running out of time now but I wanted to see if there are any other big fans out there? I hope the original influences the next game more than it seemed to the first reboot. And if someone in London can bring their laptop round with the best version, patched up to the nines for me, that'd be grand. Cheers.

Edited: PS2 not 1
  • this game is great. i bought it back in 1999 or whenever it was, back when i PC gamed and played it through several times. proper choices that affect your character too. can't fathom how you played it on ps1...

human revolution didn't really hit the same notes, though it was fun for what it was.
  • I thought HR did a good job of replicating the feel of the original with its UI and stuff, but it certainly lacked the sense of scale of its predecessor.  I recall clambering around the first one thinking 'this base is huge!'
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I've been nipping in and out of watching Threadbare's youtube commentaries on DX that you recommended me a while back. That stuff is riveting.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    The thing with HR is it's creative types looking to mimic the feel of a work done by a team of people who were arguably much more interested in the source material of tin foil hat conspiracy theories and the Illuminati. Eidos Montreal just don't seem to have the same passion for it. They're great artists and HR looked handsome generally aside from the shit engine but they're people who have been told to make a game about conspiracy theories. Not people who wanted to make a game about conspiracy theories.
  • woah there's some takedowns there that i've never seen before! CPR bit was a highlight
  • I'm really surprised it ran on the PS1, I may have to look up some videos to see just how janky it is.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Rock Paper Shotgun recently had a series of articles about revisiting the game and seeing if it was as good as they remembered. Worth reading.
  • The ps2 version has a pointlessly rendered intro and all the maps are tiny but it's a pretty good effort.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Short answer:
    Spoiler:
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Outta the way
  • One of the things that is great about the game is how much the game works as a whole. It embraces it's jankiness and allows you to piss around.

I feel today a game with that many flaws would be 6 out of ten bargain bucket in two weeks.
  • Gonzo wrote:
    Huge fan, but my fave is the much maligned deus ex invisible war. One of the best games of all time.

Yep. I'm baffled by how unpopular it was.
  • A school mate of mine copied this for me back in the days when copying cd's and a key code would work. I liked what i saw, but generally found it too hard, potentially because I played it like a traditional FPS and wondered why I had no bullets most of the time.

Seem to remember getting to an aircraft hangar and all hell breaking loose, memory is very fuzzy though.

Loved Human Revolution though, except the bosses obviously.
  • Gonzo wrote:
    Huge fan, but my fave is the much maligned deus ex invisible war. One of the best games of all time.
    Yep. I'm baffled by how unpopular it was.

Possibly because it was on a hiding to nothing trying to compete with the impossibly high standards of the first game.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I got that free with a graphics card. It ran like shit and was shit.
  • I played the first game within a year of playing Invisible War, and i didnt feel it held up particularly well. Actually, it felt like a big step backwards.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Gonzo wrote:
    video

Dammit, now I have to play through Human Revolution again.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Part one of 'Is Deus Ex still the best game ever?'

Rock Paper Shotgun
  • I played the first game within a year of playing Invisible War, and i didnt feel it held up particularly well. Actually, it felt like a big step backwards.

Did you play the first game first?

DX2 had some nice ideas (changable mods) but it also lost a tonne of depth in story and exploration.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Being a game will always drag it down from what it aspires to be. The worlds we can imagine in its name are far beyond the abilities of most game writers.

Compare what A Mind Forever Voyaging actually is with these brainbits: 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.

GTAs have given us such maps, but how much more interactive are they?

I can get over it with other games (have to), but the chasm between Deus Ex's crummy gaminess and its Fritz Langist spirit is too vast.
  • I also played Invisible War first and loved it. Got it back on Xbox in 2003, had no idea what it was but loved how it played and completed it more than once. As something to purely play with it was better than the OG, but I feel the writing and ideas were way shaper and more crystalised in the original.
    Kow wrote:
    Part one of 'Is Deus Ex still the best game ever?' Rock Paper Shotgun

will have a look now
  • Deus Ex is one of my fave pc games ever!
    If only it didn't render in UE1......
    REmake eidos?

I stil haven't played through either IW and HR.

If they did attempt a remake, updating graphics and sound are the easy part.
    Adjusting controls and gameplay to a more modern standard might be tricky.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • I'd say the graphics would be several orders of magnitude more effort to update than the gameplay.
  • What would be the point of a remake? Just to wank off old fans? Make something new and cool if you want to honour the legacy of dx.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    ooooooh that's the ticket
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Well, John Walker's sour writing has made me feel miserable again *golf clap*

I had a great time with the game compared to him. More akin to these guys:

Episode 47: Deus Ex (Part 1) — Watch Out for Fireballs!
    Episode 48: Deus Ex (Part 2) — Watch Out for Fireballs!
  • Deus Ex is one of my favourites. Invisible war didn't play nice with my PC at the time so it got shelved and I never got round to it.

Heard it wasn't great but I may try find and give it a go given some of the love it's getting up in this thread.
‹ Previous123456714

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!