regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Fire Emblem Direct tomorrow. Multiple titles mentioned. Obv there will be the Musuo / Warriors one but maybe also the mobile game and others?
  • Warriors, mobile and Switch Fates port I reckon.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Switch Fates would be a goodun if it was all 3 in the box. One of my best purchases of last year.
  • Verecocha wrote:
    No, I'm not basing it on my views but those of the many, I don't need to show you anything, the WiiU has.
    What you assume to be the views of the many. Since you're now making that claim, you now also need to show me the market research that shows that the reason you don't like the WiiU is the same reason it hasn't done well (as opposed to, for example, a mixed marketing message that still leaves loads of people unaware that it is a console in and of itself).
    Verecocha wrote:
    And it'll happen again. Nintendo don't appeal to the wider audience and the things that they want, if you can't see that then you're a fool as you only need spend time with the younger generations which want an Xbox/PS not a WiiU or a Switch.
    You're making a confused argument here. Do you want to talk about the wider audience, or do you want to talk about younger generations? Either way, again, show me the market research, because sales of Mario and Pokémon suggests the appeal is there. The DS user base is huge.
    Verecocha wrote:
    Look at the best selling games, they're not on Nintendo consoles, without those it won't sell huge numbers, without huge numbers people won't make games for it, simple enough?
    Too simple. Again, look at the 3DS. I'm not aware of it having CoD:IW or BF1, it's sales seem to be doing fine.

Your arguments about Skyrim, FIFA and Minecraft also make assumptions about people who want it already owning it on a platform already. In Verecochaland where everybody stays the same age and keeps the same things forever, you might have a point. However, this is the real world where kids start to get into stuff as they get older, people who couldn't previously afford one thing can now afford another, or people just fancy something new.
    Verecocha wrote:
    Right now the Switch is not worth it for the mass market,
    There you go again. No, it's not worth it for you. Pre-orders are selling out, so let's not make assumptions about what the mass market thinks is worth it until release, or you show us the market research that backs up your assumptions.
  • Yeah Cocha, just show us the bloody market research will you!?
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • g.man wrote:
    I bought a Gamecube :D

Me too. My first non-handheld Nintendo console.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    I bought a Gamecube :D
    Me too. My first non-handheld Nintendo console.

I paid £30 for mine. A guy in work who is a serial early adopter who gets bored with everything he buys sold me it. Was pristine all boxed with all the inserts etc.

I have never bought any console at launch and I never will. I think the console I bought earliest to launch was the N64 but even that was after an official price drop.

2600, NES, SNES, PS1, N64, DC, Wii and 360 were bought new - MD, PS2, GC and Saturn were pre-owned because I'm a cheap fuck.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • With the insanity on the Wii launch day, I bought two, sold one, and still made a profit.
  • davyK wrote:

2600, NES, SNES, PS1, N64, DC, Wii and 360 were bought new - MD, PS2, GC and Saturn were pre-owned because I'm a cheap fuck.

That's not being cheap, decent ratio I'd say.

I've sold a lot of them now but over the years I've got 16 new, 7 of which were launch day and 10 second hand.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Everywhere's selling out? I'd bet a pint that quite a few 'canny' possums have reserved one with the view to selling it for a profit within the first week.  Could backfire if the media convinces people it's an expensive white elephant.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Been having a think about what they could have done instead of the cringeworthy 1-2 Switch to sell the idea behind the focus on local single screen multiplayer. A minigame compilation would suit the task, so I had a trawl through the memory banks to dredge up some simple local multiplayer games which could be given a facelift, a Ninty branded lick of paint and polish. These came to mind first:

_83426560_a860a84f-4cf8-4cc0-b123-3d33c4422022.jpg
    Pong. Jazz it up a bit with a koopa shell which changes colour as it hits things, players controlling the Mario and Luigi paddles have to hold the right colour button down to return the shell to their opponent.

breakout.jpg
    Vs Breakout, again with a bit of Nintendo's iconic imagery.

super-sprint-4.png
    Super Sprint, Mario Kart branding, easy to share the screen from all four sides.

micromachines1.jpg
    Micro Machines style thing, again with the Mario Kart theme.

rtype.jpg
    Side scrolling shooter. Mazza and his shit brother bombing about on those cloud things in co-op.

7550642.png
    Again with the shells, this time pinging them around a maze to try to bump each other off.

For me these games tickle my nostalgia gland, they're simple to understand so I can play them with my son and they suit the single screen two (or more, if they weren't so fucking expensive) joy-con thing, and, crucially, they're proven fun games where the wanking milking simulator and the rest from 1-2 Switch plainly aren't. I know nothing about developing games, but they shouldn't be too hard or costly for a dev like Nintendo to cobble together and if not bundle it for free then at least a cheap download available at launch.

A cheap, easy to make game that showcases some of the strengths of the console and appeals to a wide demographic, everything that 1-2 Switch clearly isn't.
  • A new Kurur Kurur Kururin would be a great way to show how precise the Joy Cons can be.
  • I guarantee there are third-party publishers thinking similar retro/minigame thoughts. Whether anything like that makes it to market, who knows?
  • I dont know if it has been discussed but apparently Arms can be played with non-motion controls, so you can use a pro controller for MP if you dont fancy get your arsehole torn out buying more joy cons.
  • They are doing Puyo Tetris which is a step towards that retro stuff. I don't think I'd buy either of those games individually but together almost certainly. Assuming it's not £60 or whatever.

And Bomberman.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    They are doing Puyo Tetris which is a step towards that retro stuff. I don't think I'd buy either of those games individually but together almost certainly. Assuming it's not £60 or whatever.

And Bomberman.

I meant as a compilation, the thing I thought 1-2 Switch was going to be.
  • Just jazz up some old sports games - Golf, Tennis, Punch Out, erm, others.
  • There is one called Arcade Archives which is coming out, though it's download only I believe.
  • Everywhere's selling out? I'd bet a pint that quite a few 'canny' possums have reserved one with the view to selling it for a profit within the first week.  Could backfire if the media convinces people it's an expensive white elephant.

History tells us this would be the first time this has happened, of course.
  • Throwing major side-eye at those buying only to resell. If the shoe was on the other foot etc..
  • Everywhere's selling out? I'd bet a pint that quite a few 'canny' possums have reserved one with the view to selling it for a profit within the first week.  Could backfire if the media convinces people it's an expensive white elephant.

A good possibility I reckon, especially after the recent NES mini.

Wouldn't do much for its image if the scalpers get hit and there's a good supply of discounted units on ebay after launch.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • There is one called Arcade Archives which is coming out, though it's download only I believe.
    Googling suggests these are old neo geo games at £6 a pop.

• The only non Nintendo standalone console I bought at launch was the original XBox, which I didn't realise until just now.
    Thought the 32X might have slipped your mind. You got it quite early at least didn't you?

It arrived the day before day one :).  I played 32X Doom for the first time in ages on the Pi last week. Despite the stick it gets for the borders (which had clouded my own memories somewhat), it's one of the better versions I've played.  I can't say the 32X wasn't fantastic for a fortnight or two.
  • Doom 64 was the best.
  • Load the fucker with "Nintendo's Greatest Hits" and this thing would have flown.
  • I've not been keeping up with much switch news bar pricing. But did Nintendo make any sounds about their online service and the monthly game being precisely that, a month long rental?
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • WorKid wrote:
    Load the fucker with "Nintendo's Greatest Hits" and this thing would have flown.

They still would have fucked it. All of nintendos greatest hits - playable for the first week for free!

*requires pro controller, available separately

(Nintendos greatest hits takes up 4gb system memory and cannot be deleted even if you dont buy them)
    SFV - reddave360
  • Reggie Fils-Aime confirmed the news, saying: “It means that essentially you’ve got access to that game for a period of time, and then after the month there’s a new selection. You’ll have the opportunity to buy it, but after that month we’ve moved on to another game.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!