Nintendo Switch
  • You people are so dismissive!
    All Nintendo need to do is cast a celeb hollywood superstar family enjoying the Switch with their kids and BAM!!!!
    Sales and hype go through the roof.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Your assertion is based on what you want, though, just as mine is based on my requirements, and Escape's view prior to the conference (was it Escape?) about it being essential that it's hackable.

Show me the market research that says it needs that checklist to be desirable to its target demographic, or that they need those things for there to be perceived value.
  • Suggestions:
    Will Smith & family (Switch!)
    The Obama's
    Trump and Melania
    Brangelina?
  • hunk wrote:
    Brangelina?

kinda makes sense since you can separate the various parts of the switch.
  • Even when seperated, dysfunctional and apart one can enjoy the switch with kids.
  • Andy wrote:
    Your assertion is based on what you want, though, just as mine is based on my requirements, and Escape's view prior to the conference (was it Escape?) about it being essential that it's hackable.

Show me the market research that says it needs that checklist to be desirable to its target demographic, or that they need those things for there to be perceived value.

No, I'm not basing it on my views but those of the many, I don't need to show you anything, the WiiU has. And it'll happen again. Nintendo don't appeal to the wider audience and the things that they want, if you can't see that then you're a fool as you only need spend time with the younger generations which want an Xbox/PS not a WiiU or a Switch. Look at the best selling games, they're not on Nintendo consoles, without those it won't sell huge numbers, without huge numbers people won't make games for it, simple enough?
  • Verecocha wrote:
    Your assertion is based on what you want, though, just as mine is based on my requirements, and Escape's view prior to the conference (was it Escape?) about it being essential that it's hackable. Show me the market research that says it needs that checklist to be desirable to its target demographic, or that they need those things for there to be perceived value.
    No, I'm not basing it on my views but those of the many, I don't need to show you anything, the WiiU has. And it'll happen again. Nintendo don't appeal to the wider audience and the things that they want, if you can't see that then you're an idiot as you only need spend time with the younger generations which want an Xbox/PS not a WiiU or a Switch. Look at the best selling games, they're not on Nintendo consoles, without those it won't sell huge numbers, without huge numbers people won't make games for it, simple enough?

Would agree if the Switch were a bog standard home console.
    Except it isn't; it's also a handheld and handhelds are Nintendo's forte. No reason as of yet to assume numerous 3ds users won't eventually upgrade to the Switch. Initial pricing is shit yes but I wouldn't be surprised if better deals and bundles eventually arrive as xmas draws near.

We'll see how the general public reacts at launch. I'm guessing initial uptake will be sllllooowww and sales will accellerate near the end of the year. TLDR: too early to say whether Switch will fail. The hybrid xfactor could make it go either way. Nintendo isn't helping either with their clueless online VC strategy.
    Overall I think Switch will succeed despite clueless pricing and online strategy. It will only take a bit longer before the Switch userbase reaches critical mass.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    It'll follow the way of the Wii and Wii U. Launches, hype overload, millions sold, joy. Six months to a year down the line it'll be discarded gathering dust by many leaving the hardcore to buy a new game every three months.

Same as it ever was.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    hunk wrote:
    No reason as of yet to assume numerous 3ds users won't eventually upgrade to the Switch.
    Nor any reason to assume that they will.
  • @DS
    The annoying thing is it need not be that way with the back catalogue of games they have.
    As it is we are offered fucking Yoshi Cookie for the month of June at $xx rental.
  • Verecocha wrote:
    Look at the best selling games, they're not on Nintendo consoles

Nintendo have made quite a few of them. Far more than any other company in fact.

But if you're talking third party, Minecraft, Skyrim and FIFA are coming to Switch.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Bleeding edge.
  • Verecocha wrote:
    Look at the best selling games, they're not on Nintendo consoles,

Although I get your point Pokemon is still bloody huge and Sun/Moon was one of the biggest selling games of 2016, behind only FIFA I believe. A Pokemon will come to Switch. 

Speaking of FIFA thats confirmed and whilst we all know it won't sell enough, they got it. Its something they done right, they went out there and struck a deal somehow. Its up to Switch owners to support it.

So its got the no.1 and 2 best sellers of 2016 coming to it.

Minecraft is confirmed isn't it? Thats huge as is Mario. Zelda is a frachise capable of 5m+ also.

Like I said, I get your point but its not as though its not got big sellers.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Verecocha wrote:

Nintendo have made quite a few of them. Far more than any other company in fact.

But if you're talking third party, Minecraft, Skyrim and FIFA are coming to Switch.

I'm talking about recently, not historically. Minecraft and Skyrim?! NO FUCKING WAY HOLD THE PHONE!!!

Minecraft is huge but everyone that wants it is already embedded in wichever version they have. Skyrim?! What a joke that is. Fifa it'll be interesting to see what shape it comes in, until it sells 8 copies so they don't bother again.

I get the Pokémon thing, and if it becomes the go to Handheld then great, but then it goes full circle and people will pick it up when it's at the right price point, by which time there will be significantly less interest in it and getting third parties on board is significantly more difficult.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    hunk wrote:
    No reason as of yet to assume numerous 3ds users won't eventually upgrade to the Switch.
    Nor any reason to assume that they will.

Nintendo's gambling the future of the company on it. Will it work?
    I think it's a viable and smart move. They have botched the pricing though which will slow initial uptake to a trickle. Probably.
  • Verecocha wrote:
    Nintendo have made quite a few of them. Far more than any other company in fact. But if you're talking third party, Minecraft, Skyrim and FIFA are coming to Switch.
    Big sellers on other systems doesn't mean they'll be big sellers on Nintendo systems.
  • monkey wrote:
    Verecocha wrote:
    Nintendo have made quite a few of them. Far more than any other company in fact. But if you're talking third party, Minecraft, Skyrim and FIFA are coming to Switch.
    Big sellers on other systems doesn't mean they'll be big sellers on Nintendo systems.

Thing is we keep saying they need 3rd party support then turn our nose up when its there.

Damned if you do damned if you don't.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • It'll follow the way of the Wii and Wii U. Launches, hype overload, millions sold, joy. Six months to a year down the line it'll be discarded gathering dust by many leaving the hardcore to buy a new game every three months.

Same as it ever was.

Given I have a billion games elsewhere this is never an issue for me, I wish consoles could survive as niche purchases as opposed to full fat sinkers or swimmers.
  • @retro 
    Not that sort of third party support. It doesn't matter where it comes from really. It just needs enough desirable games coming out on a regular basis that people don't view it as just a machine to play new Nintendo games on. Because that can't do the numbers. So not a load of old games, its not getting a load of new multiplatformers because of its specs and mad controllers. 

There's things Nintendo can do (but won't) that could help them a bit. A Netflix type sub service for as many of its old games as it can cram in. Some sort of easy to publish app store arrangement to get smaller developers doing interesting things. Courting indies for exclusivity. 

Someone mentioned Overcooked. That is an ideal game for this console and its really good. It uses two buttons and an analog stick. It's instant fun. Who here thinks Nintendo have made any moves whatsoever to get that on their console?
  • monkey wrote:
    Verecocha wrote:

Thing is we keep saying they need 3rd party support then turn our nose up when its there.

Damned if you do damned if you don't.

It's not that dude, it's the games themselves. Skyrim, a What 5/6 year old game? Everyone that wanted to play it very probably already has, numerous times. Then maybe again in its 'best' form on XB1/PS4, why would they buy again for £30-£50 on Switch? To play portable? Fifa will probably be some crap form the masses won't be interested in but hopefully not. Minecraft is huge but again, most people will have it in better forms, that they'll of spent time and money on, why again? Maybe because it's portable? But how many would be interested in that and if they are are they £300 and up interested? Mass Effecf Andromeda comes out same time as Switch, if they'd had that, at a better price point, with Zelda and a pack in 1-2 Switch all of a sudden there would be much more significant interest.
  • @monkey They courted Stardew so there may be hope
  • Tempy wrote:
    It'll follow the way of the Wii and Wii U. Launches, hype overload, millions sold, joy. Six months to a year down the line it'll be discarded gathering dust by many leaving the hardcore to buy a new game every three months. Same as it ever was.
    Given I have a billion games elsewhere this is never an issue for me, I wish consoles could survive as niche purchases as opposed to full fat sinkers or swimmers.
    I think Nintendo can do that niche stuff if they want. But they're not gearing this up as a niche proposition imo.
  • I think 3rd party is a bit more of an issue on the Switch because of the portable element. There are certain games that seem like a great fit play on the go, it's a missed opportunity for everyone if we get a repeat of the Wii and Wii U situation.
  • @monkey @Verecocha I get your points about FIFA and Skyrim not being the right games.

For me this isn't a Switch problem or even a Wii gen one.

Nintendo's downfall in this respect was the Gamecube. That was the last time they released a like for like console.

It got tons of support, problem is none of us brought it.

FIFA used to go toe to toe in sales with Sega and Sony HW in the 90s, all of a sudden we stopped buying it. Why was that?

GCN was capable enough, it got RE4 exclusive initially, no one gave a fuck. Hitman on Nintendo, Tony Hawks, Soul Calibur II, Star Wars, Splinter Cell, Prince of Persia, Lord of the Rings, FIFA, Madden, its a huge list. Games almost unimaginable on Nintendo HW now.

All their modern problems are due to the Gamecube's failure.

Gamecube WAS the Nintendo console we all cry for now, but WE didn't buy it. I know DVD and GTA are huge factors but it boils down to this...

we created the modern Nintendo, not Nintendo.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I bought a Gamecube :D
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Verecocha wrote:
    I'm talking about recently, not historically.

Minecraft Xbox Edition was the 18th best selling physical game of 2016 in the UK, and Playstation 34th. Skyrim Special Edition was 12th. Sales aren't historical, they're still ongoing. Number one was, FIFA, which will be available on Switch.

The rest of the top 5, COD, Battlefield, The Division and GTA might not come. Then again, the Wii got 5 Call of Duty games.

Looking further down the list, excluding exclusives, Lego Whatever will be there, WWE will likely be there (there is already an NBA 2K game, so 2K are in, and that's a numbered game), Minecraft Story Mode was on Wii U, so if there is another, chancesn are it will also be on Switch. F1 will probably be there, Steep is confirmed as is Just Dance and Skylanders.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Me too shit was cash yo. Bar a couple games though third party support was shite.
  • No pro evo and no GTA unfortunately which were the games I was playing back then.

Sony 'lost' last gen and went hard this time round, trying to get as many games as possible, rectifying most of the PS3 faults. Nintendo went full casual, taking them further away from what I wanted. Hard to say that was the wrong choice for them but it's why I've not been a customer of theirs for a while (3DS aside).
  • Minecraft Story Mode is apparantly being ported actually, so no need to wait for a sequel.
  • @monkey @Verecocha I get your points about FIFA and Skyrim not being the right games.

For me this isn't a Switch problem or even a Wii gen one.

Nintendo's downfall in this respect was the Gamecube. That was the last time they released a like for like console.

It got tons of support, problem is none of us brought it.

FIFA used to go toe to toe in sales with Sega and Sony HW in the 90s, all of a sudden we stopped buying it. Why was that?

GCN was capable enough, it got RE4 exclusive initially, no one gave a fuck. Hitman on Nintendo, Tony Hawks, Soul Calibur II, Star Wars, Splinter Cell, Prince of Persia, Lord of the Rings, FIFA, Madden, its a huge list. Games almost unimaginable on Nintendo HW now.

All their modern problems are due to the Gamecube's failure.

Gamecube WAS the Nintendo console we all cry for now, but WE didn't buy it. I know DVD and GTA are huge factors but it boils down to this...

we created the modern Nintendo, not Nintendo.

Completely agree with you Retro, completely. I bought a cube at launch with 3 or 4 games and loved it, but I preferred my Xbox, got a Wii and thought it was awful, didn't buy a WiiU as it just didn't have anything I was interested in at the time and that hasn't really changed. And that's a path many other have taken with Nintendo.

The Switch should have either had enough power to make its price point understandable when for £80 less you can get a PS4 with Uncharted 4 or an Xbox One S with Forza Horizon for £50 less, or been cheap enough to have everybody prepared to buy one as a Nintendo and fun console. At £200 with Zelda on top of that myself, Haak, Chalice, Sparky and I think a few others in this thread would of been in day one, as well as god knows how many others I've read the same from on Gaf, Eurogamer etc etc.

Right now the Switch is not worth it for the mass market, so Nintendo will be starting on the back foot and trying to garner support from behind the curve again.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!