Super Mario World (SNES) - Your memories...
‹ Previous12345
  • Hello all,

As some of you may know - later in the year I'm planning on producing a print based on Super Mario World, which will mark the 25th anniversary in November of this year (In Japan). This being the case, I'm looking for a favour - I'd like to know what your fondest memories of the game were when you first played it. 

I have my own thoughts and ideas about SMW, but I'd love to know what made it so special for everyone. Please share your thoughts, images, videos etc here - anything and everything will help!

Dan
  • All of it.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yoshi, Switch blocks, Secret Exits, Cheese Bridge, The Lost Woods and the Final boss.

Will elaborate on those tomorrow when I'm skiving at work.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • My mate's mum used to play it loads, and at the time she was the fittest of all my mate's mums.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    My mate's mum used to play it loads, and at the time she was the fittest of all my mate's mums.

I will be sure to immortalise her in ink.
  • I had to read all the radio messages.
  • Yoshi's Home. So lovely. 

I loved the music. Of course, the cape was mega awesome.

You Are Super at the end of Star Road /Special.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Finding top secret zone and realising Id essentially broken the game. In addition, cheese bridge (I think) and having to go UNDER the goal ticker tape was an absolute ball ache

And then there was MONDO.
    THE WORST. The level with the P balloon. Good lord the lives I spent on that
  • Tubular was my worst.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The map was a thing of beauty. There's a bit where you cross a bridge and a little fish jumps out of the water - just because. The way it expanded and the little paths were drawn when you finished a level was so satisfying.

The Haunted Houses were great, as were the fortresses.

Liked the big Yoshi Coins - looked like they were foil-covered chocolate.

Even the end of level goal - the way the number of stars awarded was drawn out in little stars.

Loved the look and sounds of the Vanilla Dome.

Skull raft was epic.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • The music and soundfx were the first thing that stood out to me.
    So much clearer and crisper than the megadrive. The tunes being great helped as well.
    The art style is simple, clean, effective and charming; mostly a continuation of smb3.
    I liked the haunted house and the boo's in particular.

The inertia based platformer gameplay was spot on as was the level design. Finding all the secrets and stars was a real challenge, I think I 100% completed it back in the days.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Getting lost in the Forest of Illusion.
    Getting stuck at 95 levels for ages, then losing all my progress due to an aging battery.
    I win... in the most minor way possible.
  • I got my SNES and SMW on a Friday. Started playing after school and by Sunday evening was up to 88 levels and had hardly spoken to anyone in 48 hours. Other than that it's all a blur.
  • Going Invincible then getting 1ups from killing multiple enemies, you actually felt invincible!
    Also, headstomping for a 1up was a thing of beauty.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Rise and then swoop, right under the end barrier and onto pastures new and uncharted.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • I used to really like doing the bit at the start of one of the first worlds, where you could hop on a koopa, then jump up on a platform with its shell and take out a whole line of them for a 1up.
  • Second level. To the right of Yoshis House.
  • I once sat in class and drew out the whole map of levels, including highlighting which ones had secret exits, cos I remembered it so well. Good times.
  • The attract mode is possibly the best one ever. I've got a review of it somewhere.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    I once sat in class and drew out the whole map of levels, including highlighting which ones had secret exits, cos I remembered it so well. Good times.

Well I suppose at least your pupils learnt something useful that day
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I only played a little for the first time recently. I remember there being one too many jump buttons.
  • Is it just normal jump and spin jump? You need one to make Yoshi Jump and another to jump off him.

tumblr_nah63pnMla1rhoz52o1_400.gif
  • Skerret wrote:
    Rise and then swoop, right under the end barrier and onto pastures new and uncharted.

Better way included ditching yosho
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Kicking baby yoshis off the edge of special levels to upset my sister

SEE YA
  • That gif has the spin wrong.
  • Getting it right wouldn't have hurt the joke either.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    krs wrote:
    I only played a little for the first time recently. I remember there being one too many jump buttons.

The spin jump appears to be extraneous apart from dismounting Yoshi - but it soon becomes invaluable later on in the game.
    IanHamlett wrote:
    The attract mode is possibly the best one ever. I've got a review of it somewhere.

It's brilliant - quite mesmerising in fact. Have watched it many times.

Fuck it - SMW is better than Yoshi's Island.
  • Also necessary for drilling.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I wasn't a big fan of the cloak - would have preferred they kept the Tanooki suit. Flying was nice though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Loved the way the music changed when you were on Yoshi.

Loved the underground echo effect.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Noone has mentioned the way the enemies change when you complete Special World.

.....And its effect on the end sequence.
‹ Previous12345

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!