Me, EA and Rory McIlroy Golf preview
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    So I was at the Irish Open on Friday for the day. I was a guest of the Rory McIlroy PR machine (have friends in that).

I was in the hospitality suite (very nice) and EA had a PS4 set up in the bar with an alpha build of the latest golf game (Rory has taken over the brand from Tiger Woods).

Couple of my mates were playing and there was an EA guy there showing them the ropes as it were. I sauntered over and asked why they didn't have PS Move set up? I find EA golf with a pad very contrived now because of the over engineered player aids. He said that the motion control just didn't go down well but that it was still an option.

So I watched for a while and then asked why humans still looked like zombies in video games (Rory was looking pretty zombie like). EA guy didn't look impressed and kind of ignored me.

I then noticed the ball bounced out of bunker as if it hit solid ground. Alpha build was given as an excuse. Would have thought that wouldn't be an issue with a mature product like EA Golf Rory/Tiger 20XX. Thought it best to keep that to myself.

Just thought I'd post that.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Is this the one with explosions or some silly nonsense in it? Or am I tripping?
  • You can play a course in a Battlefield map, yes.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    To be fair, when I played golf last week, I hit the ball in a lake and it actually bounced out. They're just next level realistic.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    No idea. My mates played 5 holes - one got 5 pars and the other got 5 birdies which makes me question how much golf games are tamed now for the mainstream. The holes were very straightfoward admittedly but still...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Later versions of Tiger Woods on Wii are kind of brilliant. Balance board option, motion plus etc lets you crank up the difficulty to sim level should you feel the need. Also has frisbee mode which is splendid.

Standard pad is great for when you just want to sit on the sofa but motion control golf really is the biz.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    You can play a course in a Battlefield map, yes.

Day One
  • ...Sadly the rubberbanding means you can't hit the ball more than three feet.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • 0317156_l.jpg
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Its ok, they'll patch it eventually.

Maybe.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    (Rory has taken over the brand from Tiger Woods).

Tiger'll be crying himself to sleep in a bed made of money and filled with other people's wives, I reckon.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!