theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Yes, I know we have a Minecraft thread but put the pickaxes down as I figured trying to talk about worlds and abilities in two differing versions of the game in the same thread was going to be super confusing.

Out tomorrow 1600 points.

OXM Introduction

Trial game link
    http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/Product/Minecraft-Xbox-360-Edition/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802584111f7?nosplash=1
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Im all over it. Having played a lot on my laptop, which runs it pretty badly, I can't wait to play it running nicely. 

What's the deal with mp? Is it a case of picking the person that's online most and joining them when they're online?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    No idea how the MP/servers/sharing works.

I've got two spare Gold subscriptions so I was thinking of using one as a kind of Bear and Badger account and setting that up as the Edge B&B room so to speak. If it works like that

Could also use it to add every Forum gamertag to (up to 100) what would make it easier for people to find and add Gamertags. We talked about that before.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Hmm just read somewhere that it's 8 player, but not sure of that's 2 xboxs using split screen. I'll keep digging.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Seems as if it's 8 player with as many as 4 on one Xbox. I think the 8 is just a cap on each hosted server. I think the first player is then host to everyone else who joins. Most of the first runs I've seen on Youtube suggest it's been well streamlined to couch/controller use and the engine has been overhauled entirely. This should mean (apparently..) that railways, boats and others could actually work properly in MP. 

One of the top tips I saw in a Hat films MP summary (see right here...bout 3min in. New forum props!)

was to just log in one of a spare controller when you're building and tootling about so you have a handy extra perspective on how your edifice looks. It could be good folks..
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    So are you thinking of leaving an Xbox turned on in your house as a server Mod?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    FranticPea wrote:

Am I fuck.

I don't think it needs to work like that anyway. TBH I've no idea how Minecraft works full stop. We'll find out tomorrow.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    I haven't heard what 'ownership' of maps there will be. Would just the creator be needed to be there? Can you allow select folks on and then also allow them access when you're not there? Hmmm... any reviews about yet? 

*goes hunting*
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    FranticPea wrote:
    Am I fuck. I don't think it needs to work like that anyway. TBH I've no idea how Minecraft works full stop. We'll find out tomorrow.

Lol I did wonder.

I think this would be the only way of doing it though, if you want a world that doesn't rely on one person being online.

It could still be great though, just choose a person that will be on the most as the world that people join.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I think you just make and share a world. I assume it has to be done via a Friend list though which is why I suggested a core account for it. That said, you could just as easily use a normal account but that person would need to accept friend requests from everyone wanting to see it.

Saying that, I'm just guessing at this point. It might work like Trials Evo.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Found this,
    ' Joining multiplayer in Minecraft has never been as easy as it is in this version – and if there are a handful of rude pals on the ol’ Friends List then setting the game to ‘Invite Only’ will ensure that none of them will be stealing treasure or destroying complex self-made structures without first inviting them to the game. Of course, you already knew all of this if you watched the multiplayer trailer for Minecraft on 360.

There’s no question that the multiplayer is the biggest highlight of the entire game, but that’s not to say it’s perfect. Since games are set up and hosted by individual players, groups hoping to construct towns while the friend hosting is offline will be unable to do so. Depending on everyone’s Internet connection, Minecraft can also throw a fair amount of lag at multiplayer participants. Prior to a pre-release patch, my Xbox would also freeze up whenever trying to connect to a friend’s game, and the same also happened to him when he’d attempt to join mine.'

Seems to answer that map question. Who's burning out their B&B Minecraft Xbox then? Metagonz? The Elm?
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Shame about the invisible walls, I used to enjoy sailing off into the distance not knowing if I'd ever find home again. Hopefully it'll still be a sizeable area.
  • Are there any other games that are 1600 points? A bit of a cunty move to charge that price for it just because they know it will sell like hotcakes. Lets, face it, the minecraft clones on the indie section sell more than most arcade games so it's going to be the number one selling xbla game of all time.

Might have been tempted at 1200 points but they can fuck off at that price, I already play the good version of minecraft with a 360 controller.
  • FranticPea wrote:
    Shame about the invisible walls, I used to enjoy sailing off into the distance not knowing if I'd ever find home again. Hopefully it'll still be a sizeable area.

That's what has stopped me getting the 360 version. The main appeal to me was just wandering off for days.
    Twitter: Andy_Wharton | PSN: thehumantarget86 | Xbox Live: humantarget86 | Steam: thehumantarget
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    If I had a pc that ran it I wouldn't even consider it tbh, but as it is I'm really looking forward to it. 

I reckon it'll still be awesome fun online.
  • At 1200 points I'd have taken a punt on this, 1600 is a bit steep I reckon.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yeah, not after bunging 1600 on something I'll no doubt give up on.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I know I'll sink hours into this so I'll happily pay 1600.

I'm on most nights from 9 if people want to use my World as the forum world. If I'm not going to be on until later ill happily switch my box on so people can play on it. You could just post on here and I'll whack it on.

Not ideal, but it's an idea.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Jebus! Just seen that the worlds in fact are the size of a single map that you get on spawn. Invisible walls surround this and it takes about 6min to get form one side to the other. It doesn't even take a day of game time to do it apparently... 

I'll demo it for now then. Disappointing. Some are suggesting that the worlds may get bigger with patches. 

The justification for the 1600MS iirc was the beta-ness of it and the amount of updates it is due to receive. The idea was that you'd pay more upfront to fund this Live rule breaking.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Yeh, its a shame. To be honest though, I rarely strayed longer than 3 minutes from my build area anyway, unless I went on an trek. And I rarely did that anyway.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Ay. I'm coming round to the concept but it was a bit of a shock. Reddit seems divided (surprising eh?) on the matter but considering the time it has taken me to get a single story château with walk over pressure plate doors, stairs etc the idea that you're limited (currently? more to come maybe?) to 1024x1024 blocks doesn't seem too bad. 

The amount of resources would be fine for just the 8 player limit but the amount of caves to actually explore might be a bit... light..

Trusty Reddit maths - Diamond calculation:
    1024 x 1024 = 1,048,576 <-- Number of surface blocks.
    1 chunk = 16x16 = 256
    1,048,576 / 256 = 4096 chunks
    Average of about 3 diamonds per chunk, so 4096 x 3 = 12,288.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Yeah, but I quite like the idea of people building close together and getting the best out of the map. A cluttered village of forum dwellings might be quite cool.

Also, there might be some fun trading going on if resources become scarce. I'll swap you 800 cobblestone for 1 diamond...
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    The idea of a new B&B with connected, extensive rail netowrk would still be a significant engineering project. 

Looks as if it's back to the 'don't get attached' mentality though if updates are hefty and regular. Things like Jungle and new biomes, fleshed Nether and all the rest means it's fairly pokey encampments for the first month or so. 

Has SomeGuy made it over yet? He should hold fire on the first of his many edifices.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Yeh, he'd take up the whole map with a fortress. 

Looks like only a few from here are game anyway, so the small map will keep the people playing close and connected. 

I can't wait.
  • Hmm, I'm not sure. It'll be an extensive demoing before i can see this taking my time away from the pc version.

So is the map persistent to all players or do we have to wait for a specific person to host?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Out tomorrow, but nerfed to fuck? I don't know what to do.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    You say nerfed, but I've never played Minecraft so it's kinda relative.
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    isanbard wrote:
    That's a real shame, I love the near endless size of Minecraft's maps.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I did, it looked good, but fuck the keyboard and mouse combo for gaming. Is the sandbox going to be big enough for all of us then? Are we going to have a Minecraft night? Will it lag like Ghost Recon?
  • 1600? I'm out. Caught behind... aha.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
‹ Previous123456735

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!