Games and morality
‹ Previous12345

• It's basically Postal on steroids.

Anyways, do we really need school shooting rampage simulators in the games world?
    Whereto next? Holocaust camp management simulators?
    Does a game have to have morals? Or is stuff like this legit fun 'cos it's not real anyways?
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Erm. I think there's a thread already in the Forum Talk section.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • For Hatred anyway. Not in general perhaps. 

Mayber.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Ah, gotcha.
    Let's make this a general thread then.
  • So how does this game work?
    Time trials for clearing a school? Coop squad gameplay Columbine style?
    Achievements for killing toddlers?
    Bonus point for using knives obviously.

Bosses: Waves of angry armed civillians and gangs of cops....
    It's all about the finely tuned gameplay y'know.
  • Morality in this example is trumped by free speech Imo.
  • No such thing as free speech. Everything has consequences.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I can't imagine Hatred being, fun, interesting, important, or making us question anything beyond "Why am I playing this dross?"
  • I hate censorship as well but where do you draw the line?
    Holocaust camp simulator? Jihad freedom fighter? Torture interrogation advanced pro? Rapelay (oh wait).
    I'm sure there's a market for all of the above and the connoisseurs can fall back on 'free speech'.

'Cos, games are fun you know?
    When's a game not 'just a game' anymore?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    It's better if the game gets released and panned than never released.
  • Making a fuss just gives it the oxygen of publicity it wants.
  • I'm just genuinely curious.
    What if this game has flawless gameplay, structure and mechanics but makes you feel awkward and perverse at the same time.

That must account for something right?
  • Well we had a bit of back and forth over that in the Hatred thread already I think. If you can utterly distance the mechanics from the game, then the game is probably shit. Mechanics work best when backed up, or reciprocated by theme. You're supposed to be married to the act. If a puzzle game was grotesque and macabre, it'd still be a tough sell even if it was the next Tetris. But it's hard to envision that, because it's hard to accomplish  good game with a horrific theme. This game will have you overpower innocents, and put you on a mechanical pedestal above your opponents, thereby representing its distasteful, supremacist courting themes.
  • Testing the bounds of morality can be interesting. Something like that dull fucking stamping passports game, but less dull obviously.

When you're so far past the line that you can't even see the line anymore, then I can't see the point. It's just outrageous for the sake of it.
  • Seriously, with games you can do the weirdest shit. What's to stop a rogue developer from doing a game about making bombs. From household chemicals. And of course a nice big explosion (with or without casualties) at the end.

Although, a breaking bad style meth lab game does sound intriguing.....

• I like a game called Doorkickers, a game about tactically planning drug busts, hostage assaults, sieges etc. It's also incredibly distasteful, because it's all about militaristic police violence. There are no rogue developers.
  • Doorkickers hardly compares to the ultra realism and violence of Hatred. Hotline Miami maybe, but even then you play as cops. The good guys even if ruthless. In hatred there's none of that.

But going back to that bomber game. What if the bomb creation recipes were real and applicable?
    Changes everything no?
  • It doesn't need to be ultra realistic and violent. It is tacit in its acceptance of the police as a paramilitary force, who have the right to kill on sight. You only have to look at America over the past few years to see why it is a distasteful game. That's more ideologically poisonous than the ott violence of Hatred, or the meta commentary of violence in Hotline Miami. It's the same as the jingoistic glorification of war in Call of Duty and Battlefield, which is again more ideologically poisonous than the wanton idiocy of GTA..

Re: hypothetical Bomb Game.The bomb recipes would legally not be able to be real under anti-terrorism laws* i'm pretty sure, ergo some such piece of software would probably only exist anonymously on the web, likely the deep web. And there's probably already bomb recipes out there already.

*scanning wiki seems it is illegal to publish bomb-making instructions in the US as of 1995, that would likely include games. That books exist and are seemingly still on sale seems to suggest it's not the most robustly enforced law.
  • Well, Hatred is certainly more realistic than Call of Duty :America's army Rambo ed.
    I guess that's one of the reasons why people find it disturbing.

Graphics do make a difference. Ultraviolent 2d games like hotline Miami and doorkickers are violence reduced to abstract tactics and schematics making it more palatable. Violence in hatred is like a 3d sledgehammer to the face, hard and direct.

Whether the violence in Call of Duty is more toxic than the ultra violence of Hatred is in the eye of the beholder I guess.
  • In aspects, perhaps. I dunno if it is 'more realistic' really. It's certainly tastelessly exaggerated in exactly the right way to get people to decry it for being 'a hideously realistic murder simulator' but it isn't realistic. I think predominantly its capacity for disturbance comes from the fact that you are acting out fantasies of violence against largely unarmed targets, with that being the end goal.

In GTA, doing the same has consequences. In this, the consequence is a score, and the police serve to just be another score to hit. The similarities are pretty large, but GTA has always been an adults toybox, whereas Hatred is just a grotty nihilistic game.

I certainly think that the CoD games that let you murder droves of 'ultranationalists' and slit the throats of perceived terrorists in HD glory, all for the chest thumping, flag kissing rhetoric of 'America, the great and good' is more ideologically damning than the tasteless 'white supremacist murders people', because the latter is so overtly gross that it is easily picked up and dismantled. A lot of people just buy in to CoD. There won't be Hatred toys, but there are Call of Duty childs toys. That's worse I feel.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    This is the old AC-90 (I think it's that number/name but you know what I mean) from COD4 but in a more "gross" skin. Or even "No Russian" with a grubbier aesthetic. Whilst there was "something" to the cod 4 mission for sure, it's worth criticising the jingoistic and hegemonial attitudes of Activision et al's cash cows as well. That being said, Hatred looks rotten to the core, and has a more explicitly nasty root to it re staff affiliations. Culture don't exist in a vacuum tho, so if you're going to make it, be ready/prepared to be called out on your bullshit.

Edit - tempy just posted basically the same thing. Fuck sake.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I mean, you can say "it's just a game" but when you release a title with a clearly modern, anti-Middle eastern bent in 2007 while the U.S. president who took people over there is still in power, you can't really excuse if from its nasty societal implications.
  • I certainly agree that Hatred is highlighting a very specific line in taste, but I'm not sure it's crossing it any more than GTA is. Pissing on it perhaps, maybe even shitting on the line and then having a cheeky wank because it thinks the shit it has done is edgy and also maybe a bit sexy, but its just a jerk wanking off to a turd in the end.

A key thing to remember is that death probably doesn't look like this. I'm glad to say I've never seen anyone murdered, but this is glorified violence, it has an edge of the comic to it. That Frank Miller grit and gore. I'd be more disturbed if it was attempting to be coldly realistic. I doubt School shootings are gory rampages. I gather from reports they are long, slow affairs with a person methodically and unemotionally going from room to room with no bombastic flair. They are sterile, ugly affairs.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I would like to read a full on socio-political reading of COD4 with sales figures to back it up. Bet it was absolutely gangbusters in the red states.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I mean, Hatred is going at it as though it's the 90s and its the logical next step in Postal/Conker's Bad Fur Day/Boogerman
  • It's Postal HD special edition.
    That's how far AO gaming has come.
    It's also weird how there's no sex AO games.
    Ultraviolence = cool
    Sex = yuk

That's (gaming) culture in a nutshell.
  • I think there have been a few. Wiki seems to suggest that most AO games are rated due to sex rather than violence - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AO-rated_video_games

I mean, should Adult Only suggest a sense of Maturity? Is an 18 related title more mature than a PG? It only dictates content, not theme. 

Where should AO gaming be going? I feel its a weird thing to just chuck out there.

Edited for wiki link
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    AO?

Adults Only - an ESRB rating
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    hunk wrote:
    It's Postal HD special edition.
    That's how far AO gaming has come.
    It's also weird how there's no sex AO games.
    Ultraviolence = cool
    Sex = yuk

That's (gaming) culture in a nutshell.

Not quite right. It's a bit like the NC-17 rating in the states. There have been quite a few titles to receive it (including Manhunt 2 and GTA San Andreas) but, like NC-17 it's a total poison chalice and many retailers ie Target etc won't stock them, so the games get edited (bye hot coffee) to an M rating.
  • I mean if you want to see what gaming can comment on, well, look anywhere other than AO titles. This War of Mine, IGF winner Cart Life, as workid mentioned: Papers, Please. 

Edit: There are games about sex and perversion and relationships out there, but they are smaller titles that do not court publicity.
‹ Previous12345

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!