Bloodborne - For beginners.
‹ Previous123456
  • Hello.

I know there's a number of BB threads that already exist but none of them seem to quite fit my 'status' as a player.

I tried out Demon's and Dark souls for an hour or so each, before deciding they weren't for me - however a number of things have made me decide to give BB a try:

- I've been playing a lot of Spelunky (since trying demons/dark) - so I've come to appreciate the concept of getting the shit kicked out of me until I've really got to grips with the mechanics of a game.

- Reviews / critics seem to suggest this is the 'pinnacle' of the Souls games, so I've decided this is props of the best time to get into them. I'm a big fan of games that force you out of your comfort zone for the better, and this definitely seems like one of those.

- I'm keen to experience this game with lots of other people. I feel like previously I missed the boat a bit - so this time I want to be a part of the whole buzz whilst the game is new.

So is anyone else here new to all this? I got the game today, and I've basically become stuck on the 'Main Street' area - that said I'm really enjoying the game and I'll keep soldiering on.

I thought this could be a good place for people who are shi-...new to these games to ask for advice / share experiences etc.
  • I was stuck there but then I just started pegging it past, I'm struggling with mob control. One on one is fine but three or more is a bitch.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    If you have a mob, either learn their attacks by keeping your distance, hop in and smash then straight out again, or leg it and wait for them to rubber band back then try to pick off one by one.

If you have a good enough weapon, a leap attack can sometimes hit all of them if timed right.
  • I have found that Molotovs are good for crowd control - I just pick out the most middle person and whizz one in.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Use pebbles and gun to draw out individuals. Even if gun alerts all of them if you slowly close on the first one only that one will run forwards. You can then back off and kill it on its own. Rinse repeat.
  • Like danclarke I am new to the ds world but love spelunky, I had no idea how to beat some of the beasts in bloodborne but after watching some playthroughs there's a fair bit of cheese going on and molotovs seem key
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • All is fair in bloodborne but an over reliance on molotovs doesn't help much especially if you're stuck on a boss, I got stuck on the third boss for a long time before and repeatedly bought molotovs, which only lightened my blood wallet and i still got killed by the boss anyway leaving me with no sou...blood echoes and no molotovs. 

There's a time and a place though.
    Gamertag, PSN, NNID: mikemsp            3DS code: 3668 - 8117 - 9395

Currently playing: Bone
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Learn to dodge well. Dodge fast and attack and dodge back out. Watching the attack for the exact moment to parry or dodge is key.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    As opposed to Souls, the trick is to get up close fast. Once the dodge and the trick combo click, a lot of the enemies, like the werewolves, become (relatively) easy.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    This. I've still got my slow paced defensive DS head on cos I was a whacking knight with a shield.
  • DS's definition of 'rubber bandindoes my nut in because I associate the term with racers catching up after being significantly behind, like in Mario Kart and various arcade racers, yet in DS's hands the term appears to being used for the opposite meaning; e.g the 'snap back' like a rubber band. All that's changing is the definition of where the two points are, but it's not stopping me from doing a double take each time.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Rubber bandidos?
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    But yer, same.  I use rubber banding in that context when teaching.  DS raise your game m8.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret wrote:
    But yer, same.  I use rubber banding in that context when teaching.  ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ DS raise your dongers m8 ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ .

FTFY

"Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Done about 10 hours now, read all the guides / watched all the videos and still find it hugely frustrating.  For veterans of DS / DS2 the horrible loading times probably aren't too much of a big deal but for a newbie (where dying and learning is part of the experience) it's a huge issue.
    really not much fun although it's clearly a great game.

• The load times are a pain, no doubt about that.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    How do you find the rubber banding, Charlie?
  • It helps but then you still have the end of level bad boy, my best is taking 25% off him - that's after 10 hours play

• Done about 10 hours now, read all the guides / watched all the videos and still find it hugely frustrating.  For veterans of DS / DS2 the horrible loading times probably aren't too much of a big deal but for a newbie (where dying and learning is part of the experience) it's a huge issue. really not much fun although it's clearly a great game.

I felt the same about demons and about dark too. With both games I played them for about 12 hours each then gave up in frustration, it just wasn't fun and it didn't click. 

Came back to them about 2 months later and got through the first areas relatively easily and that confidence gave me the satisfaction and desire to carry on, I used guides all the way through them and it didn't diminish my enjoyment, both games became my favourite games of all time. 

So what I'm saying is, I know how you feel. I'm doing bloodborne solo without a guide but using my souls knowledge is still helping a great deal as I'm used to constant deaths so it doesn't feel quite as soul crushing as it might otherwise.
    Gamertag, PSN, NNID: mikemsp            3DS code: 3668 - 8117 - 9395

Currently playing: Bone
  • Tried to get into Dark Souls twice. First time I gave up I think was the Capra Demon, the second was way way further but eventually gave up at some absolutely enormous creature deep in some basement somewhere.

Played enough to 'get' why people loved it, just never got there myself. Always felt like a chore. Often I felt ridiculously underpowered.

Absolutely loving this one. It's so completely clicked with me. My character is obviously vulnerable as hell, but I've also felt like a bit of a badass from the start.

Think partly that I have some knowledge coming into it, and also that it seems to be a much more streamlined and accessible in it's systems.

Love the world too. It's like the blackest of fairytales. Some really stunning design in there and a real sense of place - enjoying exploring in a way I never did in Souls. I've even taken to walking about rather than running to get into character a bit - always a sign I'm getting sucked in (I walked pretty much the whole of tLoU).

So yeah, I'm smitten. 

There's a really good beginners guide on gaf: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1018111
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • JRPC wrote:
    (I walked pretty much the whole of tLoU)

Hero.  I plan to do the same when I fire up the PS4 version. 

Also enjoy strolling around Old Yharnam, tis stunning in parts.  Strut like I own the pace now, a huge difference to my earlier strolls, but thats one of the qaulity things these games do right imo, they make you feel like a badass, if only till the next level....
  • I made some progress this morning - killed the big hooded guy on the main street, now I just need to tackle that big mob by the fire.

My plan is to lure them out in groups by throwing stones and channeling them up staircases to make it manageable - does this sound reasonable?

For some reason I'm having a much better time with this than DS - it might just be that the character feels a bit more nimble. The load times don't really phase me much I just use them as down time.
  • Use the loading times to post here. :)

On Main Street, I kill, fall, kill, go down, kill, go right kill, up and left and kill, some arrive I kill. Go to end and fall and kill. Thinned out I then pick off one by one.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I used to do that but with my mad whip skills I just go straight to the main crowd and draw off two or three at a time. Kill em in pockets then mop up the side channels.

Will have a last go tonight then a busy week will probably mean only one hour slots. But following week off and I think that's when I'll really get into it.
  • danclarke wrote:
    I made some progress this morning - killed the big hooded guy on the main street, now I just need to tackle that big mob by the fire. My plan is to lure them out in groups by throwing stones and channeling them up staircases to make it manageable - does this sound reasonable? For some reason I'm having a much better time with this than DS - it might just be that the character feels a bit more nimble. The load times don't really phase me much I just use them as down time.

The camp fire needs a little strategy for sure.

My approach...
    Spoiler:
    Seems to be the simplest. Now I'm getting a bit tougher I'm reasonably happy taking it head on - but can still die that way occasionally.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • Managed to do the two ogres under the archway so I guess that's progress - shot / heart rip thing is useful against them, does it work on the boss?

• Yes.
  • I just got as far as I've ever been - I got past the fire and wound up moving up through a house to a street with a carriage and two werewolves (who promptly battered me)

I have a feeling i must be close to being able to opening that gate next to the Central Yarnham 'bonfire' but God knows how I find it!
  • Close indeed. What house? Dark?
  • Just made it to the first boss for the first time, almost had him, but wasted all my heath vials in glorious defeat.
  • Then got killed by the first mob on respawn.

Meh.
‹ Previous123456

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!