Comfort zone gaming
‹ Previous123
  • Alright, so this is borne out of a certain thread which shall not be named, where the discussion briefly touched on people having a pretty good idea of what they like to play, and knowing from the off whether to bother with it at all. I do this all the time personally.

I think I'm paraphrasing @skerret here but the sentiment goes something like this:
    I've been playing games for 20+ years so I can tell how something will play 99/100 times just by looking at a few videos/reviews
    So I'm guilty of this kind of thing: one recent example was The Last of Us. I knew exactly how it would play based on screenshots/previews/past games by the developer, and gave it a miss because the hype was quite frankly irritating from some quarters (mainly GAF). I eventually gave in and bought it, played it, and whilst none of it surprised me, it was still of an incredibly high quality and undeniably a fun game. 

We've probably all had similar experiences in terms of knowing what a game is like, but what about not knowing what a game is like and writing it off? Over the past 18 months Ive probably stayed mainly within the confines of Nintendo first party, and a lot of that is still in varied genres, but not so much in varied tones or narrative styles. I tend to value gameplay more than story to begin with, but perhaps I'm inadvertently missing a number of great games. Rather - I know I'm missing some great games, but I might be missing some games that could even have snuck into my "favourites of all time" list. e.g. something like Remember Me could have been a Beyond Good and Evil experience. Forza Horizon might have been a PGR2 experience. Some obscure indie game on mobile might have been a moment of pure genius like Pixeljunk Monsters. Maybe my intolerance of buggy games has led me to miss out on something worth persevering with.

So here's a challenge of sorts. 

Play something new. Something you think you know. Something you're scared to try or something you think you would hate. Anything you wouldn't play normally. Rent it, PSN/GWG it, sail the high seas, whatever. Then report back on whether you were wrong.

My challenge: Demons Souls. I know its well received. I haven't played it because it intimidates me. Tomorrow I'm going to grab it and give it a go. 

Report back on if you were wrong in a week.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Reg once started a thread like this...
    I pledged to play Dead Space, but never got round to it. :[
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • I played FarCry 4 knowing it would be shit. It was even worse than I imagined.
    The next generation doesn't start until MAG comes out. 

PSN: Naemuckle
    STEAM: Naemuckle
  • Vela wrote:
    My challenge: Demons Souls. I know its well received. I haven't played it because it intimidates me. Tomorrow I'm going to grab it and give it a go.  

I did just this with Demon Souls, I liked it when I jumped on the giants head in the early room, but then it got ridiculous. Put a few hours in and a few attempts on different days but turns out I was right all along...
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I played deadspace 3. It was shit. I new it would be shit before I started it. I now only play games I know I will like in advance. It's the only sensible thing to do.
  • I like to try and see what other people like about a games. Devil May Cry and all those types of games I think surely it's alright if so many people like them. But then I really dislike how clunky they are and I just don't get it. 

I know I don't like falling in cold water and I know I don't like brussel sprouts. I avoid both.

• I think Terminator Salvation was the last game I played that I thought would be shit going in. I thought it was great coming out the other end.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    My challenge: to play something.  All my controllers have dust on them.

My secondary challenge is to play The Order.  If it's just as I expected, I'm gonna give Revel such a pinch.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I think Terminator Salvation was the last game I played that I thought would be shit going in. I thought it was great coming out the other end.
    Faecal enema?
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Because I review games I've often ended up playing games I wouldn't even look at . And I've been pleasantly surprised by a few recently. Atelier shallie being one of them. Really great jrpg
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    get back to the stream you
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Comfort zone is what defines me. Have been playing on home consoles , ignoring Pong dedicated , since 1982. I can remember Space Invaders appearing in arcades - so I guess that takes me back to the early 70s - but of course arcade gaming wasn't an everyday thing.

I know what I like but even within that I am judgemental. Take STGs - I was a Cave critic until I tried Mushi Futari and Deathsmiles.

I just cannot be bothered with mission based / narrative led gaming and it seems an awful lot of modern stuff is that way inclined; with an online multi-player mode as a way of augmenting a game's life (if indeed that is the case - the 1 player mission may well not be the main course any more?).

I like replaying and improving - and seeing that improvement in a score increase. So the modern game with its "single play through and move on" sensibilities leaves me cold. It's probably why I always have a feeling of wasted time in the back of my mind when I read fiction.

I love the abstract, self contained, non referential games. So puzzles and STGs are my preferences. I like linear platformers with some basic combat too - though Castlevania IV was probably the last of those I enjoyed. 

SOTN was such a disappointment - I enjoyed super Metroid but I'm done with that type of thing - same with completing Doom 2 - that was enough of that genre for me.  Zelda LttP was great - but again - that has me done with that type of game.

The oddness of Mario games attracts me too as they don't have a story and are abstract in their clean look. I don't even like hub worlds that much as the just get in the way - I tolerated SMB3, SMW, M64 and SMGs 1& 2 (much preferred no. 2's no nonsense hub). The mucking about between levels in Rayman irritates me - even though the levels themselves are very good. Much preferred Yoshi's Island linear style.

Maybe it's because my formative years were spent in the arcade - but there are plenty of those of my age who aren't stuck in that mindset.

Maybe I should peruse the 360 shelves and pick something I reckon I will dislike.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Can someone point me in the direction of a game that I may not like but which will help me level some of the ridiculous number of primary weapons I've got in Destiny, plox?
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I'll play it when it can be had for cheap, but watching Rev's stream, my initial impressions remain unshaken thus far.
  • I'm not sure what's out if my comfort zone bar driving and sports games and I've played titles of the former category that I've enjoyed, and a few of the latter. Still, good thred.
  • I try Fifa every now and again.
    Always ends up with rage.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Same.  It's great with people, but on my own is hollow and hateful.  Wandered online with it once, witnessed the cesspool of racist horrors enshrined therein, backed out never to return.
  • I think Mass Effect 2 was the last game that really surprised me in terms of how much I liked it. Not generally a fan of US-made RPG type games, and never bothered with the first game, but picked it up cheap and found it did a very good job. Still reckon it's a one-off though - couldn't stand Fallout 3 or Fable 2, for example, and even ME3 was weaker - so probably won't be trying any more for a while.
  • Fallout 2 was an outstanding game and taking that into 3 was always going to be difficult. I put hours and hours in 3 but never completed it... One day I tell myself.. One day. 

ME2 is something else and I was really disappointed with 3. ME2 is basically Guardians of the Galaxy or the other way around or whatever. 

I've always thought I should give some of the 360 titles a better try. I don't even own a Halo game.

• Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Halo 3 is right up there.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I try Fifa every now and again.
    Same, every 5 years or so I will pick up a copy, and then get mad at why it's so difficult to do what I used to with the old one.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I've got the Metro games sitting here - despite being a huge fan of STALKER and Fallout, it's just not clicking with me. Maybe I'll persevere.
  • Destiny is something I wouldn't normally have played, not really into console fps that aren't story driven and I didn't particularly like any Halo games.
  • I try Fifa every now and again.
    Same, every 5 years or so I will pick up a copy, and then get mad at why it's so difficult to do what I used to with the old one.

I think I struggle because I expect to be at least competent at it straight away, I play games all the time so why not?
    The reality is it takes a lot of practice, other people seem to have consistently played it their whole lives so are naturally good at it.

That and the menus are infuriating.
  • PS+ has been reasonably effective at convincing me to play things I wouldn't buy.  Same thing applies to extremely cheap downloadable games (mainly XBLA last gen, mainly hanhelds atm).  I don't really like the idea of procedurally generated platformers, yet Rogue Legacy has been able to grab my attention 'cos it was 'free'.
  • I always tend to give every ps plus game a go and keep with the ones I really like. I never would have expected to like OlliOlli 2 for example and I can't get enough of it.

In a similar situation, I have always been slightly put off by 'extremely hard' games, however I took the plunge and got Hotline Miami a while back-another game I fell in love with.

Would like to have a go at a Souls game at some point in the future.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Going by your taste in fantasy, you'd love the Souls atmosphere.
  • Everyone should at least try Souls.
  • TheDJR wrote:
    Going by your taste in fantasy, you'd love the Souls atmosphere.

Thats what really appeals to me actually. The whole setting and darkness just looks great...its just the difficulty always put me off and I just never really went for it and got it. Am I right in thinking there will be a re-release on ps4?
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Only of the (weaker) sequel
  • TheDJR wrote:
    Going by your taste in fantasy, you'd love the Souls atmosphere.
    Ooh, yes! It's quality dark fantasy. Digging into the lore is so worthwhile, Aaron.
‹ Previous123

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!