GameCube - Nintendo goodness.
‹ Previous12345
  • No thread for this? My boy has discovered all things Nintendo so I've dug out the chipped Wii to go alongside the WiiU and have been burning a shitload of GC stuff. I'm going to enjoy this period before he gets older and just wants Bonestation.

He's unsettlingly good at Super Monkey Ball for a 4 yr old and is loving the usual Nintendo genius. He's obsessed by Pikmin and can play them all by himself, although the time restrictions on Pikmin 1 can be a problem. Nintendomania has seized the house and it's not looking like the free ride it once was. Pikmin 3 has been purchased and it looks like Captain Toad might be on the cards. If he clocks amiibo it could get expensive for Grandma who spoils him rotten. Dad's rediscovered Sky's of Arcadia and Fire Emblem and a million other things besides.

It's awesome. Thankyou GameCube xxx
  • best console evaaaar
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm playing the Twin Snakes at the minute. Never played it before. It's metal gear solid1 done with the bombast of 2 so it's obviously the best
  • The 'Cube is one of the few things I regret getting rid of, great memories.
  • I wonder if it's a reflection of a lot of people's ages around here, because for me it was quite a disappointment after SNES and N64, which were my teens-early 20s Nintendo consoles. 

The weakest installments of most of the big Nintendo series, a pad that just didn't fit certain games, and lack of 3rd party support all made it less than it should have been.

That's its best game was a Sega game that hardly needed any of the controller buttons pretty much sums it up.
  • Probably a factor, yeah, but I enjoyed the way everything was just a little different to the norm.

Also, different tastes. While Monkey Ball multiplayer would probably make it into my top ten for the system, The single player wouldn't come close, so I dunno overall.
  • Nintendo GameCube not GameCube Nintendo, God Christing shit bastard dammit.
  • GameCube: Nintendo goodness
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • JonB wrote:
    I wonder if it's a reflection of a lot of people's ages around here, because for me it was quite a disappointment after SNES and N64, which were my teens-early 20s Nintendo consoles.  The weakest installments of most of the big Nintendo series, a pad that just didn't fit certain games, and lack of 3rd party support all made it less than it should have been. That's its best game was a Sega game that hardly needed any of the controller buttons pretty much sums it up.

SNES is best overall console ever. N64 had the best 2 or 3 games ever. But I still think Gamecube was bloody awesome. 3rd party support was good I thought. It was Mario and Zelda that had hard acts to follow but Metroid Prime (the current B&B Best Game of that gen) was amazing. And there was Resi 4 and lots of others. I loved the controller too.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    GameCube very similar to n64 for me- similar library size, wacky pad. It's one of these depth vs breadth things. If you look at the GC, like the n64, in context of what's going on in the rest of the game sphere, theyre smashed by the breadth of the ps1/ps2.

If you look at it on its own, and look at the top 10 or so games on the system (for either) then you're looking at peerless games that compete with the top 10 on anywhere else
  • I loved the gamecube. Discovered quite late as my little sister had the gamecube when it went cheap and me and my brothers had the PS2. Helping her complete super mario sunshine, luigis mansion, paper mario etc was amazing. Then we got the zeldas, skies of arcadia, rogue squadrons and primes. I still have some gamecube games I can't get rid of, but regretfully sold most of the more expensive ones towards Wii U and New 3ds.

Amazing machine, I also loved the design and that weird controller, and those teeny little discs!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I lived in the states when the GC came out and got one on launch day. It was Tony Hawk 3 for me, and I played the shit out of it. After that it was quick succession of Resi Remake, Rogue Squadron and Eternal Darkness. I traded it in to Gforce when I moved back to the UK and just rebougjt everything.

Sadly I trafed it all in when I went to uni for an Xbox - played Rainbow Six and Halo and only had my GBA SP for NINTENDO stuff for a while then. Still wish I'd kept it. Never even played Sunshine until 4 years ago.
  • @JonB is bang on.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • WorKid wrote:
    NGC or GCN

GCN.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Still got mine plugged in. Mouse-fart quiet, amazing aesthetic, and the controller just melts into your hands like no other.

Have to say Monkey Target is the best on the system, but for insane multiplayer its also hard to go past Mario Smash Football.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Four Swords.  Still the best MP experience ever conceived.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • It's amazing. Needs some work in the c-stick and the triggers but the big fat A should have been a mainstay.
  • WorKid wrote:
    NGC or GCN

Neither, just GC.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    GC is my favourite console. I agree re the pad - a lesson in ergonomics. It's like they took a cast of a million gamers' hands and built it around the composite result.

It is a splendid single player console but it's invincible with multi-player.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    It's amazing. Needs some work in the c-stick and the triggers but the big fat A should have been a mainstay.

That one button felt made for Resi 4
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Last week my two daughters (15 and 16) threw Double Dash on and played through the All Cup Tour at 100cc mode. I watched on. They clocked up hundreds of hours on this back in the day. The two characters per kart is a big plus point as far as they are concerned. They still adore that game - more so than any other entry in the series. They displayed a remarkable level of skill - right up until the end when Rainbow Rd slapped them down royally.

Mario Tennis & Golf on GC are oft overlooked. They don't have the impact they did on N64 but they are content packed and as slick as anything - really benefiting from the heft the GC has. 

You need to switch off the ill-judged power shots in the Tennis redux if you want a "proper" tennis game but apart from that they are solid entertainment.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I have never actually ever owned of played Double Dash.

To EBay!
  • We played Double Dash at your flat with Kaz and Frosty. I beat you all. Understandable you wiped that memory.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Oh yes.

We / I was / were drunk
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I have never actually ever owned of played Double Dash. To EBay!

Same here (never had or played it). Oops!!
  • I have a sudden urge to start collecting GC games. Still have a few after my massive clearout in last few years.
  • eBaying my old gba, ps2 and ds stuff has left me craving some good old fashioned Nintendo fun as well - compounded by me playing bloody f2p ipad and mobile games that I find compulsive but not much fun, so I figure i'll pick up a new 3ds at some point.

Seems i skip generations - i'll be playing bright and colourful nintendo stuff for a few years, get bored and hanker for some gritty man war face shooty action, go for a non ninty console the next time round, then get bored of po-faced war face shooting and hanker after bright, colourful silly fun. 

Bonus news is that my parents are gettin some work done on the house, so my sister was helping them clear out the garage and she found our old NES and SNES that I'd boxed up and stuck in the loft several decades ago. Lawks, I'm having that SNES!
  • SNES gsmes? Or just console? If you have games in good nick and looking to sell, gimme a shout.
‹ Previous12345

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!