Watching people play games.
‹ Previous1234
  • Had a look for a thread where this might fit but couldn't see anything...

Since getting my PS4 I've spent quite a lot of time watching people broadcast games - it's ideal for me as I don't have a ton of time to play everything, and it gives me a chance to look at stuff I'd probably miss out otherwise (Alien Isolation is a game is never buy, but I've enjoyed watching people scare the shit out of themselves.)

I've also spent a bit of time watching some of the GDQ speed run stuff - some of which is baffling (I don't know how anyone has the mental capacity to play a game for 6 hours to shave 10 seconds off a run, but it's interesting to watch in small doses). Anyone else find that more of their time leans towards watching stuff as opposed to playing it?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I have no interest in watching people play games at all, not even the hardcore pro players. Never had, never will. So no, no game watching for me.
  • Yeah, it baffles me too, but each to their own.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • danclarke wrote:
    (I don't know how anyone has the mental capacity to play a game for 6 hours to shave 10 seconds off a run, but it's interesting to watch in small doses).

That's nowt!  During the Trials compo seasons I spent many hours trying to shave 0.6s off a run.  Mainly to (try and) beat Paul T Sparks.

I've never been inclined to watch someone playing a game.  I watched twitch plays pokemon for about 2 minutes when they first did that.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    GDQ is good. But I wouldn't watch regularly.

The thread title reminded me of the days of the arcades. A really good arcade with plenty of people to watch playing or otherwise was highly enjoyable back in the early 80s.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    There's a south park episode about it apparently, so it's definitely a thing.

My GF's daughter spends more time watching other people play minecraft than actually play it herself.

She is a fan of people called Stampy, Amy Lee, Squid etc. For Christmas she had 90% MC merch, but not of the game, of the you tubers that play it!

Looking at their houses when she's watching it they must be raking it in.

Me? Nah. Tried about 15 mins on the PSN thing was bored shitless.
  • I've chucked Twitch on late night of a weekend when I'm too pished to play but that's not very often. I've tried watching CoD and the like at tournaments but I find it all a bit cringe worthy. I would have no problem sitting in the same room as somebody and watching them play whilst offering unhelpful advice, but actively seeking it out for viewing pleasure is a stretch. The bite sized slices of gameplay captured on the One's activity feed I do enjoy though.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • I can watch like, a friend if I'm in the same room as them, but watching videos of people playing online (or worse, watching videos where people narrate themselves playing online) is literally the worst thing I can think to do with my time.

I don't understand how you have the time to watch but not play. Are you watching on your phone during like, the commute or at lunch time or something?
  • I like watching a bit of Streetfighter or last of us mp over lunch. But if I'm at home and have time to turn on the ps4 I'm playing it rather than watching.
    Can-of-sprite
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I can have Twitch on all day in the background. No interest in watching traditional playthroughs though, speedruns only.
  • I just don't get it. Watching someone else play a game is mind-numbingly dull for me, but I guess some might say the same for watching football. 

@Dan, I appreciate what you're saying but if you have limited time to game, you're making it even more limited by watching someone else playing it. My kids are devoted to Stampy et al who make fairly inoffensive Minecraft videos but I just can't stomach them. The students at school are very much into gameplay vids so I guess it may well be a generational thing.
  • I can watch Street Fighter and Hearthstone. The former is great when you're invested enough to see the nuance to high level play.

Nothing else interests me.
  • Yeah, put me in the zero interest box.
  • I don't mind small clips, either on Youtube or the Bone. The whole Youtube personality thing with the over long and overblown commentary isn't my thing at all. There might be some good stuff out there, but I'm not going looking for it. All those guys getting paid by EA to promote the BF4 launch didn't help either.
  • Outlaw wrote:
    I can watch like, a friend if I'm in the same room as them, but watching videos of people playing online (or worse, watching videos where people narrate themselves playing online) is literally the worst thing I can think to do with my time. I don't understand how you have the time to watch but not play. Are you watching on your phone during like, the commute or at lunch time or something?
    Sometimes I'm holding a pie in each hand.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Interesting I thought there'd be a lot more folks here who did the same. I usually tend to have it on in whilst I'm doing something else - reading etc.

Another part of the appeal is watching folks play old stuff that scratches the nostalgia itch, without having to go to the effort of getting certain games.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The South Park episode is good. Caaartman brah!
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    That cunt pewdeeshite is actually in it.
  • A let's play on the background while tidying is perfect. I can't watch anything like a drama in those circumstances.
  • I think part of the enjoyment for me, is being able to watch players at the highest level playing the games I like, to a level I will probably never achieve.

Much like people who participate in sports and also like watching the same sport on the telly.

Its not that hard to understand really, I find some of the bewilderment about it borderline smugness to be honest, a game, why on earth would you watch people play those!? CHESS, FUCKING CHESS!? WHY WOULD I WATCH PEOPLE PLAYING THAT!? ANY ACTIVITY EVER, WHY WOULD YOU WATCH PEOPLE DOING ACTIVITIES!? YOU FUCKING INTELLECTUALLY STUNTED, GAME WATCHING BASEMENT DWELLING NECKBEARD CUNT, I AM FAR TOO COOL TO EVEN BEGIN TO RELATE TO YOUR MINDSET SCOFF SCOFF SCOFF SCOFF SCOFF.

"Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I enjoy watching sometimes.
    Like I mentioned in some other thread I watched a few hours of Game Grumps on the weekend, I like those guys because just chat about the game and other stuff. They crit when the luck and gush when they like but without getting too analytical.

Watched some Dark Souls speed runs too. There are some games I am just plain shit at and Souls is one of them, however I do like the atmosphere of the game and the way it plays. 
    I used to watch my mate play games quite a bit in my younger years, I watched him play Resi1, 2 and 3, Metal Gear Solid and Alone in the Dark on PSone because I liked the games but was hopeless at them. Watching people on Twitch or Youtube is just a way to fit that into my more hectic life now.

Like Ian I also put playthroughs on when doing house work or when I am working from home.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I love Twitching. You get a great view of g's flat with a pair of binoculars from the rail bridge.
  • Lol. Don't mention Twitch. During FNF last week I happened to say "Xbox, get me some Twiglets," when we were talking about snacks, and the fucking Bone quit Forza and launched Twitch.

that's your next-gen right there

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Only fighting games for me. Don't find any other genre interesting to watch.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Tourney play is cool. As is watching videos of sandbox style games, to see what nonsense people come up with. Like Rouj I like watching people do what I'd never, ever do. Also Roguelikes can be good to watch, either for sheer skill envy, or to watch them do silly restrictions etc. Also Dota. Dota. Dota.

Besiege is my favourite watch and giggle at the minute, but Kerbal Space Program is also fun too.
  • I watch a lot more than play now. Technology owns.
  • I mainly watch high-end expert play, in-depth analysis of older games, and random let's plays of stuff that's fresh out. That last one is pretty much in place of demos since they don't exist anymore.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Isaac: Rebirth is fantastic to watch. CobaltStreak is a bit of a cock but by fuck does he dominate that game. Watching him has helped me improve my own game, so yay.
  • I only like watching stuff like Isaac if I've done lots of it myself
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I don't mind, its still woah when I first pick it up. Constantly use platinumgod to check what they all mean too. But I'm now consistently getting to and beating Mom's Heart so its worth it.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    CHESS, FUCKING CHESS!? WHY WOULD I WATCH PEOPLE PLAYING THAT!? ANY ACTIVITY EVER, WHY WOULD YOU WATCH PEOPLE DOING ACTIVITIES!? YOU FUCKING INTELLECTUALLY STUNTED, GAME WATCHING BASEMENT DWELLING NECKBEARD CUNT, I AM FAR TOO COOL TO EVEN BEGIN TO RELATE TO YOUR MINDSET SCOFF SCOFF SCOFF SCOFF SCOFF.

Exactly.
‹ Previous1234

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!