Grim Fandango Remastered
‹ Previous123

• This released on the 27th of Jan, which has crept up quickly - One f the things I've been looking forward to most since it was announced, having loved the original. I'm planning on picking it up and playing through it without a guide (It's been long enough that I'll have forgotten most of it) Anyone else getting this?

——
  • I bought a CD rom and from ebay and played it a while ago.. pretty much needed a FAQ the whole way through the puzzles are so hard.

I'm not sure how well the gameplay has aged.. but I'd probably be up for trying to finish it as it glitched at a common point and wouldn't go any further.
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • Was a bit jealous of a handful of PC games as a teen.  Mainly Full Throttle, Blade Runner and this.  I thought it was coming later in the year, is the Vita version due in January too?  It's higher on my list of games I wish I'd played than Majora's Mask and Metroid Prime.
  • What platforms are getting it?
  • I'm all over this. I'm hoping they haven't shoe horned a tip/hint system in, I'm easily tempted.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I've been wanting to play this since the original release, so I am very keen, but not keen enough to buy a console for it. Fingers crossed for more platforms.

Edit: Damn you, Dan.
  • I enjoyed both of the Monkey Island remasters, thought they were tastefully done.  That was the first time I played Lechuck's Revenge. 
    Spoiler:
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Obviously.
  • It was lost on me.
    Spoiler:
  • Aha I'll be getting this on PS4 hopefully.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    danclarke wrote:
    This released on the 27th of Jan, which has crept up quickly - One f the things I've been looking forward to most since it was announced, having loved the original. I'm planning on picking it up and playing through it without a guide (It's been long enough that I'll have forgotten most of it) Anyone else getting this? ——

Once you play these games through, there's almost no way you can forget the puzzles. I probably will buy it again though, just to do my bit to support a call for a sequel.

Few games have a better written script.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Bob wrote:
    I bought a CD rom and from ebay and played it a while ago.. pretty much needed a FAQ the whole way through the puzzles are so hard.

Pretty sure it's generally considered one of the easier games is the genre. IIRC I only looked at hints once for it. Whatever you do, don't try and play Discworld.
  • Easier just means less fucking stupid.
  • I thought it was coming to ps3 too?

My favourite PC game from back in the day. Not that I was any good at it, mind. Did finish it, but had to keep an FAQ handy.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Never played it. Always wanted to, but ended up being quite hard to come by, not on any of Steam etc. So very much looking forward to it.
  • I've never played it either. My concern, from the trailer, is that it sits within that 'try-too-hard' unfunny comedy writing category in which Douglas Adams reigns supreme, 90s PC titles vie for the position of his jester, and the otherwise untouchable Terry Pratchett occasionally dips his toe.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    adkm1979 wrote:
    I've never played it either. My concern, from the trailer, is that it sits within that 'try-too-hard' unfunny comedy writing category in which Douglas Adams reigns supreme, 90s PC titles vie for the position of his jester, and the otherwise untouchable Terry Pratchett occasionally dips his toe.

There are some laugh out loud moments. It might well surprise you. But once you compare anything to the likes of Douglas Adams, then you're just setting yourself up.

P.S. Don't use the hints...
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Also, seeing as you say the writing's good, can you recommend any Douglas Adams games (apart from Hitchiker)?
  • I'm saying quite the opposite.
  • Isn't the only other game Adams had a hand in Starship Titanic?
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Whilst I welcome this, like many remastered games which require heavy investment I won't be getting involved.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Grim Fandango doesn't require heavy investment, IIRC; it's not too hard, nor too long.
  • AJ wrote:
    Isn't the only other game Adams had a hand in Starship Titanic?

That sounds like a great idea for a game.
  • Is adkm slagging off Douglas Adams? Not that I can be arsed to argue the toss but Adams is definitely funny, and as far as I can remember so is grim.
  • I tended to be friends with the nerdier kids at school, what with me being one of their kith and kin. As such, I was exposed to the kind of humour that was apparently popular with my ilk, chiefly because they seemed intent on endlessly reciting it to each other. Monty Python became unbearable, Monkey Island intolerable, The Fast Show simply irritating. They would rave about Hitchhikers and it left me utterly stony cold. Not once even remotely funny. I've lost count of the times I've tried to read it, I feel like I'm supposed to like it, but not only is punishingly unfunny, it's so irritating in its relentless pursuit of something witty in every fucking clause, it's like nails on a blackboard. If you like it, brilliant, I'm glad you've got something that tickles your funny-bone. I just don't find it funny. At all.

Grim Fandango looks like it's from that stable.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    adkm1979 wrote:
    I'm saying quite the opposite.

My bad...

Then Grim Fandango is actually quite funny.
    At the very least, it's a very imaginative game world.

Shame about the Douglas Adams thing...

I liked the Restaurant At The Edge Of Time alot... Thought that type of humour and imagery would have been good for a handful of games, if not more.
  • I used to laugh at the Magic the Gathering kids, but 18yrs later I find them much more intentionally amusing than the ones at the other end of the Secondary school cool chart.  I didn't read Pratchett until I was in my mid-20s.  Good Omens was a cracker. Monkey Island is consistently amusing but it was rarely 'lol' funny imo.  Consistently amusing is a very unusual thing for a videogame though, kinda like how Heavy Rain would've made a Godawful Channel 5 movie but as as game I enjoyed the fact that it was like a film.  I'll be happy if Grim makes me smile and titter rather than guffaw.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    Grim Fandango doesn't require heavy investment, IIRC; it's not too hard, nor too long.

It's true. I make a point of not playing these things with a guide, and even then, it didn't take too long to finish.

I only threatened to snap the disc in half about twice.

But it's far from a complete cakewalk...

Machinarium is probably harder, even though it's shorter still.
‹ Previous123

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!