Look at it, who is gonna clean that netcode up?
‹ Previous123
  • Halo MCC is a total, unplayable mess online.
    Destiny swings from fantastic to chocolate radiator.
    GTA O launched as a total shambles.
    Downloading games and updates is insanely slow and non-representative of connection speeds.

At what point does this cross the line from being accepted hiccups to an invasion of consumer rights?
    Why is content being digital somehow an out?
    How bad is this gen gonna get before I become Anne Robinson?
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I think a recent video from Boogie2988 puts it best. If you went to a drive-thru and asked for a double cheeseburger with fries and a shake, and got a couple of slices of toast and a cup full of bull semen, you wouldn't go back. In video game terms, we keep going back. Micro-transactions, on-the-disc "DLC", season passes, day one updates... these things keep happening, yet we keep stumping up the cash and we keep pre-ordering. All we do is bitch about these things online.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Or, in more frightening cases, we actively defend these things.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Very surprised to read that Halo MCC is struggling.  I thought reliable online interface was extremely high up the list for Halo games.  The first sequel got so much right (ten years ago).
  • I think people could make a bigger impact if retail laws were on our side more.

As it is we can't return a game if the seal is broken, we can't return a downloaded game full stop.

We are in a situation where we pay our money so have to make the most of it. Many consumers would rather sit in denial thinking they have made a good purchase than admit they have wasted 40 quid .

In the case of MCC and Destiny, neither 343 or Bungie have ever been good at netcode but these games have gone to another level of bad.

Personally I downloaded MCC, I can't do anything but wait and hope that they sort it out.
    Ok the terms state that the title is not eligible for refund but how is that not a breach of my consumer rights?
    I have proof of purchase and the product is not currently as advertised. I should be able to claim a refund.
  • In fact if I use a credit card rather than debit does that not counter any non-refund clauses?

Some of these games are verging on fraud.
  • I reject bungie never being good with netcode.

Their p2p from 3 to reach was better than cod. And fuck gears host advantage.

(can't speak on gears 3, granted.)
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Gears 3 was dedicated and a pure joy.

I will accept Bungie improve but never hit perfect, they have certainly dropped the ball with Destiny.
  • This is your weekly reminder that there's nothing actually wrong with on-disk DLC and any complaints about it just result in it being taken off the disk so we have to download it. The deciding factor in something being a separate purchase or included in the price of the game isn't it being finished before the disks get printed.

The whole update/patch/failed to connect shit has to go. The Alienware Alpha is now looking like my next console.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • What is "netcode" and why isn't there a third party solution?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Just come off the MCC, perfect thread for me to vent.

Ignoring the fact that match making and parties etc. still don't work, when we got a custom game going the lag was unbelievable. They've got some good code going on that hides it, no rubber banding or anything, but the difference between what I'm seeing on my screen and what happens in the kill cam is massive.

I just played a game with Webbo and Frantic, in the first half I was cursing them as no matter how many shots I put into them they just wouldn't die. All of a sudden it switches and then I'm invincible, going on a nine kill streak even though they're coming at me from all angles and getting the drop on me.

Fucking rotten stuff. If you lose to lag you feel massively hard done by, win with it and it's a hollow victory which leaves a sour taste in your mouth. All I want is a level playing field for everyone and let skill decide who comes out on top.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    IanHamlett wrote:
    This is your weekly reminder that there's nothing actually wrong with on-disk DLC and any complaints about it just result in it being taken off the disk so we have to download it. The deciding factor in something being a separate purchase or included in the price of the game isn't it being finished before the disks get printed.

A prime example of the one of the terrifying cases of a consumer defending consumers getting shafted up the arse. On-the-disc DLC is on my list of things that prove there's no God, and another list of things that show there's no hope for humanity.

Before internet connections became a normal thing on consoles, this underhanded tactic would have been unimaginable, akin to buying a book and finding out that random chapters have been stripped out and replaced with "Wanna know how the hero escapes? Send a cheque for £1.99 to...". On-the-disc "DLC" is bullshit, pure and simple. People say that the content costs money to make, and that's true, but I've just dropped £40+ on the friggin' disc. If they had time to put the content on the disc, it should be included in the price of said circle of plastic. If they have to charge extra for that content to make up financial shortfall, then they need to make better business decisions, not lock-off arbitrary sections of the game. DLC should add to the game, not be stuff that I've already bought and paid for, hidden behind a ransom.

Defending on-the-disc "DLC" is incomprehensible to me. People hate paywalls on websites (and rightfully so), but the gaming community as a whole seems far too accepting of the same thing in games. It's as unintelligible to me as the people who were upset when Microsoft reversed the DRM policies on Xbox One.
    IanHamlett wrote:
    The Alienware Alpha is now looking like my next console.

I'm also oddly tempted by the wee little box from Dell.
    n0face wrote:
    What is "netcode" and why isn't there a third party solution?

The code that handles how your console/PC talks to other consoles/PCs during online matches. The term also seems to apply to matchmaking and the like. It doesn't matter how fast your internet connection is if the netcode is shit, rather like how webpages will load slower on a lower-spec computer on the same network.

There are 3rd party solutions, a famous example is the GGPO code that the fighting game community swears by.
  • There were  times in the past where I thought "I don't want to spend £40 on a new game. I'd like to spend £10 on more of that game I liked." and now that's an option. Whether or not there's going to be DLC, the scale and price of that DLC, is decided early on in development. If that DLC is ready to go at the same time as the disk, that doesn't mean they should, or even could, give it away.

I guarantee that finished DLC has been withheld from disks, forcing a day-long download, to avoid complaints.

The Skylanders/Infinity/Amiibo model seems to get past the on-disk complaints by selling you an NFC tag in a cheap toy to unlock the tiniest bit of in-game tat.
  • You get a cool toy with that though.

I would rather download a big file, rather than a key any day.
  • I don't get the logic in that. Why would you rather use your net and keep your machine on and wait?
  • Theoretically there's no problem with on disk DLC. We moan about rushed games but swirl expects devs to be working on it right up until it gets pressed onto a disk. It's man hours getting used up. If the devs have got their shit together enough to have a complete game and DLC ready to go, no problem. What's annoying about the process is nothing to do with the game being on the disk but the approach to some DLC.

If you're getting a game that looks like it's been chopped up to get you to pay more, that can tarnish the experience. A couple of prime offenders are AssCreed2, the last time I played he series - I've heard its much worse for this stuff now. Anyway, the games levels are organised in a line and on something like level 12, it suddenly skips you to level 15 and shows two greyed out levels that you can't play without paying more. And Dirt 3 had a load of greyed out cars and tracks right in the middle of the normal game. To get medals you had to complete sets of events and loads of medals had DLC locked events in, preventing you from getting the medals. That's one thing and not too bad on its own. But the only way to know what events you had completed was to look at whether you'd got the medal, and there was no was of knowing without drilling down to see whether it was an event you hadn't completed or one you hadn't paid Codemasters enough money for, having bought the game at full retail price on the day of release.

Things like that grate with me because it's a design choice to make the product you've bought appear less complete. And with the Dirt thing they're actually making it more tedious to find tracks you've paid for and haven't played so they can shovel more onto you.
  • With regard to the content on disc as payable dlc later issue, I realise it seems wholly greedy, but if you think about it in terms of content paid for by publisher to developer in terms of head count and overheads, it's perfectly fine business economics.  It takes x amount of days to make the base content, then x amount of days to make the extra stuff, to make it easier to deliver and avoid going through costly submission processes on consoles it's better to chuck it on the disc if possible.

IMO there's 2 problems with this at the moment -

1 some publishers/developers have taken the piss, deliberately removing material clearly designed for the game.  While it's ok to offer follow up or add on stories for purchase just like other media have done for decades, there should be minimum levels of quality for the basic item in the first place.  As Monkey posted you should be able to fully enjoy your purchase without feeling like something was removed from the experience deliberately to compel you to make another purchase, a dark mechanic.

2 we are halfway to transitioning towards completely digital media delivery, and we still hold on to the view that what is one the disc is ours because we paid for it.  You aren't buying a record or a cd when you buy a game, you buy some content that publisher wants you to have.  I would guess that most who have an issue with on disc dlc would not bat an eyelid if the dlc was a download, providing that point 1 was not already an issue! But the problem is that the content is already scheduled to be built in time for manufacturing so why not save all sorts of costs and other issues and distribute it on the disc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very old school and I prefer vinyl to mp3 and I don't buy digital games, so the method of delivery still bothers me and I'm certainly concerned that some publishers have exploited the issue for gains.  Funnily enough I think that the iTunes App Store has been simultaneously the best and worst thing to happen to media delivery in a long time, in just a few years we've seen people really take the piss with constant paywalls and unethical mechanics, but also brilliant games almost given away for peanuts, we've learnt about the extremes and that we can't charge for horse armor anymore.
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Very surprised to read that Halo MCC is struggling.  I thought reliable online interface was extremely high up the list for Halo games.  The first sequel got so much right (ten years ago).

I've long wondered how much of an effect our broadband take-up has had on online gaming. Uncharted 3 was often as bad for me with 1.5 Mb as Operation Flashpoint was via dial-up.

Although Flashpoint does provide ping data, the lack of which in most console games is maddening. With dial-up, I used to search for and play in lobbies that averaged 300 ms. Because I have no choice, that's about the same now with console games.
  • In fact if I use a credit card rather than debit does that not counter any non-refund clauses? Some of these games are verging on fraud.

Some? Pretty much every Bethesda and EA game counts as fraud. Many recent Ubisoft titles do. Halo MCC and Driveclub as well.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I think people could make a bigger impact if retail laws were on our side more. As it is we can't return a game if the seal is broken, we can't return a downloaded game full stop. We are in a situation where we pay our money so have to make the most of it. Many consumers would rather sit in denial thinking they have made a good purchase than admit they have wasted 40 quid . In the case of MCC and Destiny, neither 343 or Bungie have ever been good at netcode but these games have gone to another level of bad. Personally I downloaded MCC, I can't do anything but wait and hope that they sort it out. Ok the terms state that the title is not eligible for refund but how is that not a breach of my consumer rights? I have proof of purchase and the product is not currently as advertised. I should be able to claim a refund.

In Australia you can return opened games at some retailers. 

And according to the sale of goods act in the UK you should be able to return broken products such as Skyrim, Driveclub or Master Chief Collection, same here in Australia with the consumer protection act.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Someone try that and report back here and tell us how you got on.
  • Escape wrote:
    Very surprised to read that Halo MCC is struggling.  I thought reliable online interface was extremely high up the list for Halo games.  The first sequel got so much right (ten years ago).
    I've long wondered how much of an effect our broadband take-up has had on online gaming. Uncharted 3 was often as bad for me with 1.5 Mb as Operation Flashpoint was via dial-up. Although Flashpoint does provide ping data, the lack of which in most console games is maddening. With dial-up, I used to search for and play in lobbies that averaged 300 ms. Because I have no choice, that's about the same now with console games.

I had very few problems with Quake III on Dreamcast, using the built-in 33Kbs modem. Looking back, I wonder if I turned a blind eye to hiccups because I was happy to be experiencing something new, but I'm almost positive it played well.  There was a tiny but consistent input lag.  I probably spent 80 hours on it.

Getting accused - via angry text bubbles - of using a mouse and keyboard when I wasn't is the highlight of my competitive gaming career.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    ... In video game terms, we keep going back. Micro-transactions, on-the-disc "DLC", season passes, day one updates... .
    You lot might do, but I don't. 
    I've made it a point of principle not to buy later games in a series or from a dev once I've been burned. Battlefield 3 was the end of DICE games for me, but even before then it was a given that the first few weeks/months of release their netcode and servers would be fucked, so I wouldn't bother with a pre-order. When Atari were circling the drain, wouldn't touch their stuff with a bargepole - same now for anything from Ubisoft that requires that Ubiplay or whatever their broken online auth method is.

Vote with your wallets, because it's the only thing scalpers will pay any attention to.
  • Someone try that and report back here and tell us how you got on.

People on GAF have been getting refunds for Halo Master Chief Edition (digital version) by citing distance selling regulations (UK).
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I have two issues with DLC. One has been covered already - incomplete games that require further purchase. This would be fine if the game was cheap to begin with as that makes it a variation on "try before you buy".

The other is that DLC is a scourge to people like me who collect. It may be a quaint idea to many but I like having games complete with the manual in a box. That now seems to be somewhat anachronistic.

Extra DLC I can tolerate (although for the collector it is still a disappointment). Mushihimesama Futari's Black Label Mode is a case in point. I would rather it actually was on the disc but it is a download.

No doubt the retro community will empower the likes to me to keep on playing DLC like that in the future should I get another 360 but I'd rather not have to rely on that.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I also find it hard to believe that netcode is still a screw up .
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    Before internet connections became a normal thing on consoles, this underhanded tactic would have been unimaginable, akin to buying a book and finding out that random chapters have been stripped out and replaced with "Wanna know how the hero escapes? Send a cheque for £1.99 to...". On-the-disc "DLC" is bullshit, pure and simple.

No it's not, that analogy doesn't work at all!  A game's a single story, in most situations.  If they randomly cut huge chunks out of the story; like you had to pay £1.99 to access the final battle in Mass Effect or something like that; then your analogy stands up.  

To me, though, most DLC is akin to a separate novella that amplifies or expands on a story but isn't part of the main arc.  The closest analogy I can think of to on-disc DLC is finishing a book, then finding a locked bit at the back where the author's included a note saying "I've written a short story about what the character did before this book/after this book/when he was at home in chapter 12, which doesn't fit the main story, but I thought you might like it.  Send me £1 and I'll send you the key."

The Assassin's Creed 2 bits were removed because they didn't fit the pacing of the story, it appears; they decided to cut them entirely.  Then they thought some people might want to play them so offered them up separately.  They couldn't have included them in the main story flow because they spoiled it; that's the whole reason they were cut out.  

We have a thread here where people are moaning about download times, and other threads here where a 250MB patch is like the end of the world.  Yet when they try to package some DLC into the empty 20GB on a Blu-Ray, which isn't part of the main game, we start complaining that we've got an automatic right to it?  If we have some sort of semi-libertarian attitude that we have to own what's encoded on the physical disc we bought, then they'd just switch straight back to making us download 10GB story add-ons.  I'd rather have it the current way.
  • I'd rather we got finished games when they were released. That includes a working online portion.
  • Elmlea wrote:
    Before internet connections became a normal thing on consoles, this underhanded tactic would have been unimaginable, akin to buying a book and finding out that random chapters have been stripped out and replaced with "Wanna know how the hero escapes? Send a cheque for £1.99 to...". On-the-disc "DLC" is bullshit, pure and simple.
    No it's not, that analogy doesn't work at all!  A game's a single story, in most situations.  If they randomly cut huge chunks out of the story; like you had to pay £1.99 to access the final battle in Mass Effect or something like that; then your analogy stands up.   To me, though, most DLC is akin to a separate novella that amplifies or expands on a story but isn't part of the main arc.  The closest analogy I can think of to on-disc DLC is finishing a book, then finding a locked bit at the back where the author's included a note saying "I've written a short story about what the character did before this book/after this book/when he was at home in chapter 12, which doesn't fit the main story, but I thought you might like it.  Send me £1 and I'll send you the key." The Assassin's Creed 2 bits were removed because they didn't fit the pacing of the story, it appears; they decided to cut them entirely.  Then they thought some people might want to play them so offered them up separately.  They couldn't have included them in the main story flow because they spoiled it; that's the whole reason they were cut out.   We have a thread here where people are moaning about download times, and other threads here where a 250MB patch is like the end of the world.  Yet when they try to package some DLC into the empty 20GB on a Blu-Ray, which isn't part of the main game, we start complaining that we've got an automatic right to it?  If we have some sort of semi-libertarian attitude that we have to own what's encoded on the physical disc we bought, then they'd just switch straight back to making us download 10GB story add-ons.  I'd rather have it the current way.
    Assuming the Ass Creed stuff was cut for editorial reasons, then they oh so benevolently thought they didn't want to deprive people of the opportunity of playing it is an extremely generous interpretation of what might have caused there to be a whopping great hole, slap bang in the middle of the game. But yeah if they stick it somewhere out of the way, then fine. But putting it in the main game is deliberately designed to make people feel the game is incomplete so Swirl's analogy is much more accurate than your 'quick note at the end'.

And the Mass Effect thing you mention did happen sort of. A Day 1 DLC pack added a new character and a new mission. That character was one of the best things about ME3, and the game wasn't that good that it could withstand chopping out loads of good stuff. He had the best dialogue out of all of them. I think not buying it amounted to a room on the Normandy you could never fill and a silhouette of the character on squad selection screen. Not massively obtrusive but you're still not getting the best experience of that game without the DLC add on. Admittedly you're not going to know that unless you go looking for it.
  • Skyrim DLC is good DLC by contrast. It's just extra stories that you can buy or not. The game is complete without it. The DLC adds more. 

ME2 had good DLC that plugged the gap between releases and bridged the stories. It can be done well, like a note at the end of a book that you just want to keep reading and oh look now you can. 

Or it can be done badly and it can keep reminding you at the end of each chapter that the book they've sold you isn't the full book and you should really be buying more of the book and something has happened that you've missed because you need to give us five pounds and now give me some more money for this missing character, otherwise this next bit won't be as good.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'd rather we got finished games when they were released. That includes a working online portion.

Yup. A beta test would have goes a long way to ensuring that happens. I'm not sure why the MCC didn't have one but I'd guess it was a financial decision.

I'm also not sure why we're all on about DLC now either, what does that have to do with net code?
‹ Previous123

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!