The Music/Picture Quiz Winter Wonderland Special - It's finally all over!
‹ Previous1234
  • A one-off special edition of the Dogfingers music quiz, which I've put here so I can update the OP and thread title regularly.

The theme is Winter, so think snow and ice levels, games that have a general wintery setting, or tunes that just sound wintery or Christmassy. Each tune is accompanied by a partial screenshot from the game, often (but not always) from the exact part of the game the tune is used in.

There will be 3 bits to this quiz, each progressively harder than the last. The first one should be easy enough, especially with the picture clues to help. Each stage has 10 tunes plus at least one 'bonus'. There'll be a winner for each stage, and an overall winner based on accumulated score over all 3 stages.

As usual then, watch the vid, identify the games and PM me the answers (don't give away answers in the thread). Each answer is 2 points, or if you get the right series but wrong game in the series you get 1 point. After a few days I'll put up extra clues, then it's 1 point for a correct answer and 0.5 for right series but wrong game. I'm going to be fairly strict about getting the right game in the series because the pictures are major clues in some cases, but you can always have 1 more guess to get the extra point (or half point). Each stage will be up for 5 days before we move on to the next.

Bonuses are a bit different. You can only have 1 guess at a bonus and there will be no extra clues for it. But you get double points if you get them right (4 if it's the right game, 2 if it's just the right series).

Stage 3: Hard

The games are still mostly quite well known (well, you should have heard of them at least), although there are a few obscure ones. I've tried to leave a bit more of the pictures in some.

Stage 2: Medium

Unsurprisingly it's a bit tougher this time. These are still well known games, but not quite the mega franchises of the first round. A few should still be quite obvious still.

Clues:
    Spoiler:

Answers:
    Spoiler:

Results:
    hylian_elf               26
    Moot_Geeza            20
    Dogfingers              15
    adkm1979               4

Stage 1: Easy

I expect some big scores on the first one - they are all very well known games:

Clues:
    Spoiler:

Answers:
    Spoiler:

Results:
    1. Moot_Geeza                 23
    2. hylian_elf                    19
    3. Dogfingers                   15
    4. Wookienopants             14
    5. MattyJ                         10
    6. adkm1979                    7
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Is it Outrun?
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret wrote:
    Is it Outrun?
    Ah, I knew I forgot something. Was going to say that it's not Outrun in the OP.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    So it's not Outrun then.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • It couldn't be, could it? The music's far too summery in Outrun.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I wouldn't know, I've heard neither.
  • Just one entry so far, but quite a few already got.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    When you said winter, one 16 bit game sprang rapidly to mind, glad to see you included it, am tempted to go and listen to the soundtrack now
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • FFS I couldn't get any, and just got confused by the one that sounded like Robocop.
  • Elmlea wrote:
    FFS I couldn't get any, and just got confused by the one that sounded like Robocop.
    The tunes themselves aren't necessarily the most memorable in the games they're from. But with this one at least most of the games are big franchises. Combine that knowledge with the pics and it should be possible to guess a few.
  • I may have 7 of 10. Bonus is really bugging me!!!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    4 for me, I think.  Not so easy JB, TRY AGAIN
  • I think I have 8.
  • Skerret wrote:
    4 for me, I think.  Not so easy JB, TRY AGAIN
    hylian_elf wrote:
    I think I have 8.
    It's not me, Skerret, it's you.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    It's meeeeeee
  • Sent mine in, that was harder than expected! Got a few, the rest were stabs in the dark
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Pretty accurate stabs, mostly.

Some good scores coming in.
  • How long to still try and have first guesses?

3 and bonus are bugging me. Haven't got a clue about 2 but I might have a stab.
  • No clues till Sunday morning.
  • Ok ta
  • I think I'll leave clues to Sunday evening actually, since I won't have time before. So a bit longer if anyone wants to enter this round or have further guesses.
  • Yesssss! I will be listening tomorrow morning/noon. No time tonight.
  • OK, clues. 2 for each from 4 categories: year of release, original format(s), publisher, and genre.

It's half points now. I've decided to keep the bonus open to the end, and it's still worth 4 points, but no clues for it and you still only get 1 try.

1. /////     N64                //////////     Action/Adventure

2. 2009     //////////        Activision      //////////

3. 1991     Amiga            //////////       //////////

4. /////     PC/360/PS3     Bethesda       //////////

5. 2010     //////////        //////////      Platform

6. /////     //////////         Eidos           Platform/Adventure

7. 2002     GC                //////////       //////////

8. 2008     //////////         Capcom       //////////

9. /////     360/PS3         //////////       RPG

10. ///      //////////        Nintendo       Platform

I'll put the answers up early Tuesday morning, so you can keep guessing till then.
  • Oh, sorry @Dogfingers. I was wondering if you were around. I was trying to make each round last 5 days this time because they're shorter.

Still, have a go anyway. Have you looked at the clues? If not, I don't mind counting your first guesses at full points.
  • Right, answers:

1. Zelda: Ocarina of Time

2. CoD: Modern Warfare 2

3. James Pond 2: Robocod

4. The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim

5. Super Mario Galaxy 2

6. Tomb Raider

7. Metroid Prime

8. Street Fighter IV

9. Dark Souls

10. Super Mario Bros. 3/Mario All-stars

Bonus: Uncharted 2
  • And results:

The winner is:
    Spoiler:
    Runner up is:
    Spoiler:
    And the rest:
    Spoiler:

Thanks for playing. I'll post the second round this evening.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I got more than I thought.  I know and have played all those though, so my mind must be going.
  • WOOOO! 4 th. Happy with that
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Fuck my life. I thought of Uncharted 2 for the bonus but then changed my guess to Broken Dragon.
  • Broken Sword even. I didn't think Drake was so far in the screen, isn't camera usually just behind his back?

Kicking myself cos I could've had max points. I didn't guess CoD when I thought it was that, until clue went up. :(
‹ Previous1234

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!