3DS or Vita or what?
‹ Previous1234
  • Like the PS4/Xbone pros and cons thread, what's the status of these machines now for someone who's thinking about getting a new handheld. Still going strong, or on their way out? Quantity of good games. Online and other stuff they can do, hidden costs, etc.

Give me you knowledge of such matters.
  • At the moment the big plus for 3DS for me is that it has Fire Emblem.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    JXD S7800B.
  • Doesn't really work a la PS4/Bone, they're too different from each other. Hardly any crossover in games, I can distinctly remember myself exactly saying about 2 months back.
  • I suppose its like saying WiiU or PS4, not bone or PS4, and ideally you'd have both. But it's more extreme than that, there's even less crossover.
  • JMW wrote:
    Doesn't really work a la PS4/Bone, they're too different from each other. Hardly any crossover in games, I can distinctly remember myself exactly saying about 2 months back.

Massively agree with this. Xboxes and PlayStations are depressingly similar. SNES and MD, PS and N64 were different enough to warrent owning both much like Vita and 3DS.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Not that it helps but of the two, I tend to turn on the Vita more; I'd hate to miss out on what the 3DS throws up occasionally though. I am intrigued by the New 3DS, I'd probably go for that if I was buying anything new.
  • 3DS or Vita? Is that really even in question?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I've not owned a vita, but my brother does. He said its only worthwhile getting if you subscribe to plus and own a ps4. Then it's a great piece of kit.
    I think the ds is fantastic
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • I have nothing bad to say about Vita. I have one and it is lovely. But 3DS is just a timesink. Animal Crossing, Nintendo Pocket Football, Fire Emblem, the Mighty Switch Force games, Zeldas, Mario 3D Land, Bravely Default and the DS back catalogue are just overwhelming.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • how much is a vita these days and is it still used as an emulator like the psp?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Biggest difference between the two is the overwhelming first party titles for the 3ds.
    @vela nails it. You can spend months on the 3ds.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Vita has spelunky though.
  • Vita has a cracking library of games it's just there's few exclusives. 3ds has exclusive 1st party titles but I found them to be quite uninspired re-hashes (bar fire emblem)
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Thing that keeps putting me off the 3DS is the price of games, I guess. And money is an issue here.

If I want an XL I'm already looking at £150 before any games, and then most of the ones I'd want are still £30.

On the other hand, I can get a Vita pack like this one (I know it's not in stock, but there are others like it) for just over £150, and it has a few good games already included. And then other older games seem to be reduced more.

But then what's the deal with memory cards, emulation and backwards compatibility on Vita? Tell me more.
  • Vita memory cards are expensive as fuck.
    32GB is something like $90 AUD, and I shudder to think what a 64GB one would run. Meanwhile 3DS lets you use SDHC or even SDXC if you format it to FAT32. 

You really want to get a 32GB stick for Vita if you're going to get some digital games, and consider that the low number of Vita physical games means you really need to go digital. 

Backwards compatibility on Vita is digital only. So whatever PSP games you can buy on your PSN store locally is it. There might be some exceptions. If you want to access other region PSN stores, get another memory card.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Escape wrote:
    JXD S7800B.

This. Definitely this.

Or a S5800, if you want the extra portability.
  • Although in fairness 3DS isn't region free at all.
  • Both.

This guy gets it.

• I love both, but I'd have to say 3DS any day. The games can be expensive, yeah, but that's because they're really good and will last you. I have 3 games on my 3DS that have over 50 hours logged (Pokemon y, monster hunter and fire emblem) and 2 with over 100 hours (bravely default and animal crossing). Most others at least over 20 hours.

Not to mention streetpass, which is great if you commute.
  • I absolutely love my 3DS, although admittedly I don't have many 3DS games for it (still play a lot of my DS games). With regards to prices, bar ACNL which I bought the 3DS for, I've never paid full price for a game. I don't buy games at launch in general though, so I can get them cheaper online later.

If I could afford both I would, games like Tearaway look great and the ps plus stuff has loads of great games. I've never used the nintendo estore though so can't vouch for how good it is.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    3DS has just got Fantasy Life which is, to my mind, the spiritual successor to Dragon Quest IX.  You loved that game, didn't you JB?  You need Fantasy Life.  Absolutely worth buying a system for.
    Get schwifty.
  • They are both great machines, but the 3DS has a far superior selection of exclusives. In my opinion the best thing on Vita is Persona 4 Golden. On 3DS is it Ocarina of Time, Mario Land, Mario Kart, Fire Emblem or Animal Crossing? A Link between Worlds is just wonderful too. So I would say 3DS, but it would make sense to wait for the new one.
  • Amazing how everyone has a hard on for 3ds library (largely uninspired rehash's of old IP) but no love for Vita's games (non-exclusive original indie games).
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Bollocks to uninspired.
  • Amazing how everyone has a hard on for 3ds library (largely uninspired rehash's of old IP) but no love for Vita's games (non-exclusive original indie games).

What could be more rehashed than year old pc games?

To a certain extent I think this is why I'm not going straight for 3DS. FE is one of the only Nintendo series I'm really interested in anymore. I can do without Mario, Mario Kart and Zelda, and have never been bothered about Animal Crossing or Pokemon.

I shall look into this Fantasy Life though, Raiz - definitely of interest from your description.
  • So, looking into this Vita pack, I get an 8GB memory card and 5 downloadable games that would take up nearly 7GB in total. And bigger cards are quite pricey. Hmm...
  • Yeah those vita cards aren't really worth it as memory cards, you're better off buying a separate, bigger one. Pricey, but if you shop around (or maybe try second hand?) you'll get a better deal.
  • I would also consider the fact that the vita has pretty much lost all first and third party support outside of cross buy indie games, and the catalogue of stuff to play was already pretty small. 

I've been playing ps1 games on it mostly these days for RPGs and so forth.
‹ Previous1234

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!