Zombie Survival
  • DayZ with a forum server would be great.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Matt_82 wrote:
    You've linked to your own post.

I thought that was part of the joke, sorta "how do you keep an idiot/zombie busy?". Derp.

H1Z1 looks interesting. Though there are a fair few games coming out these days that are Minecraft But Less Blocky and Scarier Edition (Rust, Seven Days to Die, H1Z1, etc.).
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • DayZ is coming to PS4 as well I think.

TBH, given how protracted each of the sandbox zombie game devs has been (has there even been one of these that has made it to release yet? One that hasn't been complete tosh, that is) it's starting to look like, I dunno, maybe sandbox and zombie just don't go that well together? I'm not sure if it's actual implementation and coding (with the MMO/multiplayer server backend etc.) that's the problem, management issues in these small indie studios or just plain old balance "damnit this design isn't working" issues. 
    State of Decay seemed pretty ready to ramp out to MMO/persistent multiplayer, so I gotta presume in that case it's dev issues. 

TBH, I'm figuring on Epic's Fortnite being one of the first to release, simply because it's a more constrained and boudned design.
  • I think a proper open world zombie survival sandbox game will be the next big thing. A true next gen experience. Always online. Everything persistent. 

You've got to get your character to a safe house at the end of each session or risk getting eaten when you leave him in the woods while you sleep, have dinner, go the pub. You can form a regular team of like minded players that all play when you do, hunting and searching for food, transport, fuel, batteries, weapons, anything that maybe an of an advantage. 

You should be able to build a proper defensible fort out of scavenged building materials you have to haul yourself by any means; be it lorries, boats, forklifts, helicopters, planes, hell, even using the scenery and a bunch of you to push something into place; a real scrapheap challenge. 

The game must include proper tree felling and fully deformable/destructible scenery, but within the limits of what a team of humans could realistically do. You can plan forays into distant horizons, draw your own maps to share with your team. You should be able to provide cover for your peeps whilst they build/move stuff about and create.

You should be able to set up perimeter fencing and electrify it, and build fences and walls and turrets and watch towers.

Forming strike teams to go attack/pillage/kill other player teams and rob their forts across the country, take there women to procreate, have Mad Max style convoys that clash on the road and end up in all out wars.

Have an in depth family system where training and looking after future soldiers/builders/cooks; a game in itself; for those who don't wish to put their shit on the line day in, day out.

True next gen that.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Chalice gets it.
  • It's the killing other players that I think is most fun. Also the most frustrating but imagine ambushing a team on the road so you can get their jeep with the .50 cal on the back. 
    GT: Knight640
  • The other thing about these games imho is that permadeath is the only option. If you die, you respawn with a fresh character.

One of the reasons why I'm really fond of DayZ.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • To add to Chalice's excellent post, I would also like to see a Dark Souls style random invasion type system but at clan level.

So you choose who you play with, like a clan. However other clans can invade your game . So not an MMO but still keeping some threat.

Obviously there would have to be some risk involved with invading, perhaps you leave your world open to attack by Zeds and other invaders while you are gone.
  • Roujin wrote:
    The other thing about these games imho is that permadeath is the only option. If you die, you respawn with a fresh character. One of the reasons why I'm really fond of DayZ.

It absolutely has to be that way. I think a totally random spawn in a completely different part of the map (which will be huge). Getting back to your group means an isolated trek through treacherous land infested with zeds, human teams of marauders, and challenging terrain. That's if you even know where you are to begin with. You'd have to find a point of interest: - be it a village, a landmark, a mountain peak, to work out where you are in relation to your area.

Of course, voice chat will be handy to guide you back. Unless voice chat is banned until you make it back safe. How awesome would that be?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    You do realise you are describing a 3D urban dead?
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Of course, voice chat will be handy to guide you back. Unless voice chat is banned until you make it back safe. How awesome would that be?
    Could have a Walkie Talkie mechanic.
    You have to have a Walkie Talkie, batteries and be in range to use voice chat. Unless of course you are in standard hearing distance.
  • You could come across another faction and see if they might accept you. You'd obviously have to have something to offer, and that's even if you get within shouting range before you got sniped. 

Renowned clans would be prominent marks on your map, to be avoided if out on your own. Towns, shops and houses could be raided for maps, binoculars, walkie talkies, compasses, shovels and equipment etc. Just starting out on your own could take days.  

If you die you lose everything. Even the map with all your points of interest on it.
  • I like the map idea, you could share map info to as a commodity.
    Trade someone a can of beans for 4 key waypoints.
  • The possibilities are endless. Carry on!
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    You do realise you are describing a 3D urban dead?

A turn based bore fest where you can only play for ten minutes per day? Don't think anyone has mentioned that so far.

@Chalice the game you're imagining requires some hefty procedural generation.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    If it's procedurally generated, how would the map work? Serious question, with thousands of players, all that map info needs to be distributed, else we might be in the same place but I'd be in a city and you might be on a beach
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The same way No Man's Sky works would do, generate a seed for the world and have everybody play in that.

I can't see the map being big enough otherwise.
  • I think it's perfectly possible to create a map large enough to house, say, 500 - 1000 players. Obviously a lot of the stuff I've mentioned is in cloud cuckoo land, but there's no harm in striving for it. Who knows what we'll have in ten or twenty years time.

You could have various servers hosting the same map but at different stages of its 'evolution'. You could have one server where the outbreak has just begun and people are still finding their feet: - supplies are plentiful, there are wars for possession everywhere, and the map is still in its original state.

Then you could have another server with the map barren after a good few in game years, with clans having stripped the land of its fruits, and journeys out into the wilderness are lonely but deadly, and certain factions ruling certain areas and there are huge pockets of zombies scouring the land. There could be big stalemates between two or three of the main rivals.

Having different servers could also be used as a kind of tutorial: e.g. If you're starting out you will be put into the Year 1 server, where everything is fresh and chaos is reigning. Forming alliances is most important, and getting your base together paramount to survival. 

Getting a team together of an evening and starting out all together in the one world and progressing through the weeks/months/years and building a community together and fighting for your lives? That would be the greatest thing.
  • Chalice for president.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Seriously tho, we rip the piss out of Molyneux for his blue sky thinking shit. But where are the people trying to do the stuff Chalice is on about?
    Making Halo 6 I guess.
  • Trouble with Molyneaux is his failure to match his ambition has made publisher's wary and gamers/journalists dismissive.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Chalice for Molyneaux.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    500-100 players all on one map/server?

How do you stop that from becoming a total clusterfuck?
  • Make it absolutely huge.

Also, make it unrewarding and not beneficial to lark about and be a cunt. Basically, if you don't form alliances and survive, you're more than likely to die a lonely death and have to spawn again in the middle of nowhere. 

You could also implement a system whereby you spawn a certain amount of miles away from another player, therefore there could be an enforced wait until the area is clear or you face an epic trek until human contact is possible. 

I can't imagine many people would want to repeatedly do that by farting around. Also, by being a cunt, your group could very well turn on you and murder you. 

I think you'll definitely get internet arseholes being internet arseholes, but they'd soon get sorted out and sensible teams would form and make short work of them.
  • I imagine the game would feel very clostophobic despite being sety in an open world.
    The distance you could realistically go would be very limited, even with cars available you would have to factor in fuel, the condition of the roads, atracting zeds and humans.
  • Exactly. We're not talking about GTA or Just Cause, where you can traverse miles of terrain in a couple of minutes. We're talking about slow, meticulous progress, but a world filled to bursting with hazards, diversions and opportunities.

Even the smallest outhouse in the woods might have something in it. Maybe some matches, a map, a zombie or another human player. 

It would be about treading very carefully and weighing up your options before you take action - scouring the horizon for signs of smoke and activity, finding rivers for water or maybe even hunting the wildlife for food (although I imagine things could get a bit clusterfuckery with animals as well as zombies roaming about.)

I wouldn't include any kind of point or upgrade system, nothing to be gained from getting kills. There should be a stats page, but just for browsing, it shouldn't have any impact on the game itself and should not be visible to other players.

The only thing I would have would be a 'days survived' stat that you can see when you meet another player. This should also be visible on the player avatar with a suitably grizzled, bearded look. ;)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    This game sounds as frustrating as hell. I see myself playing it long enough to do well once, dying stupidly, then thinking 'fuck doing all that again' and trading it in.
  • COD FANBOY!?!?!??!111!!11
  • Yossarian wrote:
    This game sounds as frustrating as hell. I see myself playing it long enough to do well once, dying stupidly, then thinking 'fuck doing all that again' and trading it in.

That would be your loss Yoss.
  • That is why it would be so important to work with people.
    You die as part of a clan and you still have somewhere to go with people who can help you back on your feet and will still have some of the resources you helped collect.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!