Crusader Kings 2 - PC
‹ Previous123
  • Crusader Kings 2 is a grand strategy game from Paradox. Wait, don't leave just yet as it's far more accessible than some of their efforts and it's definitely not as buggy.

The game is set across Europe, North Africa and the Middle East and kicks of in 1066 and runs for a maximum of 400 years. You choose to play as a Count, Duke or King and how you approach each game is completely up to you - you can command an entire kingdom and spread your influence across the world, or you can start small by ruling over a tiny county in the middle of nowhere, forging friendships with you neighbours.

It plays out like a giant board game and revolves around the themes of diplomacy, marriage, subterfuge, heirs, dynasty, rebellion etc. Each character has traits which govern how they act and how others perceive them and it's here where things get interesting.

My Count is married and has three sons. So far so good. However, he's a lecherous old bugger and took a fancy to a 16-year-old girl from his court. He ended up in the sack with her and fell in love. His bastard child has just been born and although this young lass is delighted, his missus is furious. Her opinion of me has plummeted so my stats - which govern everything - have taken a hefty knock.

In other news, my 13-year-old son has a couple of nasty traits which suggests there could be trouble further down the line and he's not too keen on me. I could boost his opinion of me in a variety of ways - eg by granting him a title. However, I could have him assassinated - just to be safe.

Anyway, I've waffled on for far too long but I'm having a great time with this - even though I'm only a few hours in.

• OK, so you're not playing this - but I'm still thoroughly enjoying it.

The latest from my game: The Norwegian army have been spotted in Scotland and are due to arrive in the county of Atholl in 10 days. The fat Earl of Atholl looks unprepared for battle and will most likely be overrun - unless he calls for help from his neighbours. He'll get no assistance from me, mind, as the pair of us dislike each other. However, his brother is King Malcolm III of Scotland, which means any attack on Atholl will bring the King's armies into battle and war declared on Norway.

Meanwhile, I'm watching the action unfold from the Western Isles, where my Count has married a 39 year old French woman who likes to eat a lot. After two years of wedlock, there is still no sign of an heir - which is going to be trouble as my game will end unless a miracle happens. In better news, my spymaster and mayor - who both disliked me because of my slothful ways - have popped their clogs. The spymaster died from syphilis, while my mayor had been in a coma for three months before deciding to finally shuffle his mortal coil. I was planning on murdering him but this move saves me the bother. Hurrah!

So all is well, although I will undoubtedly be drawn into a war if things pan out the way I think they will - an act which will probably lead to my untimely death at the age of 26.

Great game. Definitely one of my favourites so far this year.
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    No I'm not playing it, but I like your descriptive passion. Do continue.
    It's a world of truck drivers.
  • Crusader Kings 2 is currently on sale on Steam. It's £14.99 for the next few days. In fact, all Paradox games are on sale so I'm planning on buying Sengoku later.
  • Sorely tempted now. Gave you heard about the Game of Thrones mod?
  • I have heard of it. It would be lost on me as I know very little about Game of Thrones, though. It's a slow moving game but it's definitely worth a punt for £15 if you like the sound of it.
  • I barely know anything about GoT but it sounds like it gives it some nice flavour with a whole new map etc. I'll probably pick this up if it is still on sale tomorrow, I am ferreting games away whilst I still have money before Uni.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I've been playing this but I have very little ideas what's going on. I'm not sure my Irish province can take over Europe simply by attacking everyone.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I also feel guilty that I torrented it, something I almost never do.
  • I like the fact the game lets you set you own goals. I've been playing as smaller counties and countries and assassinating nay-sayers.  There are several good YouTube tutorials which really helped me understand what was going on.
  • Sengoku - which shares some similarities with Crusader Kings 2 - is on sale for £3.75 over on Gamersgate. Just bought it - for that price, I couldn't resist.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Felt too guilty so I bought it on Steam. On sale at the moment for 12€ (about 10 of your silly British things), including all the dlc stuff.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I like the look of this, will my girlfriend's laptop be able to run it? Is there a demo or something to try out?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It doesn't really have any graphics to speak of so it should run fine.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    There is also a demo here.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'm assuming it's turn based too so I'm not fucking about with any wasd carry on? I've never used steam before. Exciting.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It's kind of real time but you can pause it whenever you want.
  • Yeah, it's not turn-based - everything happens at the same time. It's quite slow-paced, although you can speed things up.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The demo is 388MB and it's going to take an hour to download. I need a bigger pipe.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Full game is only about 600.
  • I'm tempted by this for the GoT mod.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Surely more interesting to play the middle ages than middle earth.

Yes, I know it's not.
  • Wait, does it have dragons?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Most definitely. I think I spotted a few on some crests, yes.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I am betrothed to a 14 year old Danish girl, but I couldn't help shagging a wench to pass the time, gaining the 'lustful' trait in the process.

Love it.
  • More people should play this, and then explain it to me
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I'm about to start. Bought the game key off some dodgy site for a tenner but it hasn't arrived in my inbox yet.
  • I'm playing the long game and boshing out kids all over Europe. Got 5 already and i'm only 30. Reckon there might be a few more incubating. 

Sent my first born son to be educated by someone who has high number next to their name who looked like a monk. I presume this is good. Also, my cousin's a scheming dick so he's been relegated to barman and has to bring me all my drinks.

I still feel lost.
  • Haha. So it turns out the last person you want in charge of your drinks is your scheming brother. I really should have known better. Idiot. 

My 12 year old son is now in charge, and i'm not sure he'll live long enough to lose his virginity. So many women to choose from, especially when i'm imprisoning the competition.
  • The Idle Thumbs guys play games like this on my behalf.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Got my key. It was in the spam folder. Downloading this now.
‹ Previous123

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!