There needs to be a new football series
‹ Previous123456789
  • I've finally cracked the ultimate shits with PES2014. Ive given it countless second chances, and like PES13/12/11/10/09/08 it has let me down. Like Fifa 11/10/09/08 the game is broken, with cheating AI, slow, tediously drawn out animation cycles, broken physics, referees who give red cards for slight taps and then wave on play when it comes to the other side lunging in studs first at head height.

Enough.

Fuck PES. Fuck Fifa.

Why isn't there another series? On cursory investigation we either have Mario Strikers or Actua Soccer, or the old Sensi Soccer port on XBLA.

Is there ever going to be a good, realistic option?
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    No.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Sensi is all I need.

But I take your point. I guess it's partly because of the expense of licensing, and partly due to developers being afraid to take on the mighty FIFA.
  • It would only fail, it is a pretty niche audience that isn't satified enough with Pro or FIFA.
    Football games are shit anyway.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Sensible Soccer was ok.  And NES soccer.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Until the day comes where they force you to play 90minutes matches and only getting one goal a game in that time, realistic matches are unlikely.
  • By realistic I meant ones where Toad doesn't have to somersault over a goalkeeping crocodile whilst dodging green shells.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • There were a few during the PS2's time.  I remember 'This is Football' being one.  Think it flopped.
  • I usually play Pro round a mates house once a week or so. We've been playing FIFA recently as he upgraded to the Pro-less next gen. Anyway, just for a change we played Worms the other night and it was BRILLIANT!! Insane matches with the momentum swinging one way then the other. Those footie games are very tired now, but Worms is even older than they are and can still entertain. Some of it is probably the novelty. I still rate both as good for local MP, but I haven't bothered with the SP in years.
  • All the others have been even worse. I'd be interested in a Blood Bowl for football type endeavour.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

I believe the FIFA Wii incarnations are rather good. Could be wrong though.....
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Pes wii is ace but nothing like real football. More like the ultimate version of videogames footy where you can literally direct multiple people.
  • Matt_82 wrote:
    There were a few during the PS2's time.  I remember 'This is Football' being one.  Think it flopped.
    Me and my mate used to play this and just randomly dive when not being tackled.
    I nearly wet myself when I got a penalty and there wasn't a player within 4 feet of me.

I always mention Libero Grande (dont know what it was called over here) when people mention football games, I loved that.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Monkey Football.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    A new Virtua Fuckin' Striker.
  • Didn't Ubisoft attempt one in the last couple of years and fail dismally?

I'd be surprised if anyone could succeed now on consoles, not as long as EA have the official license. You'd need very deep pockets to build an audience over a number of years. Maybe someone could come at it from the phone end of the market, something free to play. Sounds awful.
  • Since posting this I did d/l the Fifa 2012 2013 rebadged edition demo and it wasnt too bad. Probably worth dropping $15 on to see if it is any good.
  • Sega Worldwide Soccer was very good on Saturn, but utterly awful on Dreamcast.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Monkey Football.

Is a mode in Monkey Ball 2 - totally nuts of course...looks like it may be based of Sega's Virtua Soccer actually.

• Adidas Power Soccer, dem power shots.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    What about the one Ram wrote?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Football games, bar FM/CM, are utter, utter shit, so you've got what you deserve.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

I find them somewhat below pinball and above Peggle re sense of control. Sadly they don't have the charm factor that those games do.

I do think the character-based games like the Mario and Sega 5-a-side ones can be fun though.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yeah, I don't mind casual efforts. I played 'football' on Street Racer for way too many hours when a wee kid.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars was best.
  • FIFA Street.

I have no opinion about it but no one had mentioned it yet.
  • Yeah, I don't mind casual efforts. I played 'soccer' on Acme All-stars for way too many hours when an adult.
  • The meta in that game was bonkers, murderous.
  • Fuck, I remember that. Was cracking.

Need a Sniper Elite-esque footy game. Knee shattering, tendon-severing, fibia-sundering tackles in full slo-mo. X-Ray attacks like in Mortal Kombat or summat.

I actually like FIFA, though I nearly never play nowadays. Was a huge fan until 2001 or so and then couldn't be bothered anymore. Football Manager lost its magic for me about 6 years ago... too much of a timesink.

A new Virtua Striker would be cool. Bombastic goals from 35 yards with OTT South American commentators screaming gooooooooaaaaaaaaal YUM.
  • FIFA Street. I have no opinion about it but no one had mentioned it yet.
    I actually own this as I was having mates round for a rare night of same-screen gaming and it was literally like 3 quid on a live sale. Played a few games. It was quite good fun but I've obviously not touched it since. Yeah...
‹ Previous123456789

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!